2019 SLT Engine Oil Cooler Line - Uh Oh, leaky leaky

2019 sierra 1500 SLT with 70,****** miles..

Looks like Engine oil cooler lines are leaking real good.

Having a hard time finding a replacement. Is it easier to just cut the bad spot out and use a clamp?

Please see the pictures. Its for sure the engine oil cooler lines right? Hard to see how they're routed, wasn't sure if it was for trans.

The leaking oil definitely looks like engine oil though.

I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE IT TO A STEALERSHIP. PLEASE DON'T RECOMMEND. But thank you for any helpful insight.

2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

FREE UNDERCOATING. lol

But seriously, i believe that there is a TSB for leaking oil cooler lines, the dealership will replace this for free if your vehicle falls under the TSB, I don't remember the TSB number. Someone else can chime in or you can do the search. 

Are you still under warranty? Go to the parts counter and they can get you the correct PN to replace it.  

Thanks. My search has only led to finding the GMC TSB N192220080, which says for Canada and Alaska. Called the dealership but they have to call me back...I absolutely hate dealerships.  Especially anything service related.

What help is it for you to respond on your doubts? Not even sure why people like you waste peoples time to add a comment that is getting us nowhere. Do you have insight on changing an oil cooler line? Do you know a TSB number? Like dude, blown away you came here to comment that you doubt a dealer will replace it. What help is that to anyone?

Found the Service Bulletin, it is attached. It reads as any effected 2019 1500(Chevy or GMC) will get the service completed, so long as its done by July 31, 2023. This should be free of charge. Still waiting on dealer to call back, but this is good info for anyone who is affected. The service bulletin is very detailed but I don't see any reason I wouldn't be qualified to get the repair done.

MC-10200186-9999(2).pdf

• Like 2

It's nice gm will reimburse for customer out off pocket expenses they incurred having the lines replaced. But they will never see this bulletin to submit a  claim.

I had mine replaced about two months ago. Would have cost me $1400 but, because I bought an extended warranty for the first time, I paid zero. For the record, I have a 19 with just shy of 97,000 miles on it. The leak started around 90,000 miles. 

Looking at the carfax on mine (before i got it) it was replaced on my truck as well around 29k miles.

Seems to be a common problem.  Thanks for posting the TSB.  those are super helpful when speaking to idiot service advisors who don't know ****** about ******.  Very helpful for us owners!

19 hours ago, dtking03 said:

Thanks for having the service bulletin on here. Mine blew off yesterday and dumped oil everywhere. Towed to dealership calling them in the morning.  Have 53K on my 2019.

Well, even though the service bulletin seems specific enough, it only applies to certain trucks. GM customer care recommended that I create a case once I bring it to the dealership. The dealership can then state if the problem seems to be the same as what is in the bulletin. At that point, GM may or may not reimburse. 

21 minutes ago, romeactual said:

Well, even though the service bulletin seems specific enough, it only applies to certain trucks. GM customer care recommended that I create a case once I bring it to the dealership. The dealership can then state if the problem seems to be the same as what is in the bulletin. At that point, GM may or may not reimburse. 

On 1/5/2023 at 3:02 PM, romeactual said:

Found the Service Bulletin, it is attached. It reads as any effected 2019 1500(Chevy or GMC) will get the service completed, so long as its done by July 31, 2023. This should be free of charge. Still waiting on dealer to call back, but this is good info for anyone who is affected. The service bulletin is very detailed but I don't see any reason I wouldn't be qualified to get the repair done.

MC-10200186-9999(2).pdf 111.15 kB · 22 downloads

On 1/5/2023 at 2:01 PM, BlancoSilverado said:

FREE UNDERCOATING. lol

But seriously, i believe that there is a TSB for leaking oil cooler lines, the dealership will replace this for free if your vehicle falls under the TSB, I don't remember the TSB number. Someone else can chime in or you can do the search. 

Are you still under warranty? Go to the parts counter and they can get you the correct PN to replace it.  

TSB does not  = free fix, unless truck is under warranty.  TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.  Customer may present with "X", here's what GM has found to be the fix.  The phrase "TSB" gets thrown around like "Magnuson Moss" does.  

A special coverage or special policy would provide a repair in or out of normal warranty but your VIN must be applicable to it.  Dealer checks the VIN in GMs system.

Oil cooler lines leak all the time on these 2019-up trucks with the V8s.  

N212326940 that you found might be your only ground to stand on to see if your truck might be covered.  They'd have to run your VIN and see if that coverage is attached to it.  If its not, GM might provide some sort of assistance.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, newdude said:

TSB does not  = free fix, unless truck is under warranty.  TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.  Customer may present with "X", here's what GM has found to be the fix.  The phrase "TSB" gets thrown around like "Magnuson Moss" does.  

A special coverage or special policy would provide a repair in or out of normal warranty but your VIN must be applicable to it.  Dealer checks the VIN in GMs system.

Oil cooler lines leak all the time on these 2019-up trucks with the V8s.  

N212326940 that you found might be your only ground to stand on to see if your truck might be covered.  They'd have to run your VIN and see if that coverage is attached to it.  If its not, GM might provide some sort of assistance.  

Oil lines have been leaking on GM trucks for decades, whether they are for a remote cooler or for remote oil filter lines like my 89 s10 baja had or my 95 s10 zr2. They don't fix them for free like i tried to tell the OP before he posted back calling me a troll essentially!

That tsb probably only indicates a batch made between this date and that date and at that specific plant. The lines are junk, they have always been a problem with GM either leaking or blowing out all together. I have never seen them out of warranty fix them free of charge, it was and has always been treated like a wear and tear item from my experiences.

• Like 1

Alright, as sort of expected, the dealership wants quite a bit to do the job and the part is, "back ordered with no ETA." The part the dealership gave me is 86788215. Looks like all the online sites have it, but I am not sure if I want to order it and DIY the job. I've only found one other who has done this job, with a 2019 Silverado. He removed front bumper to gain enough access.

At this point, I am considering trading in and being done with the truck..