2022 2500 gasser exhaust sound

1 hour ago, Randal Scott said:

Ok, I'm going with AFE Power 49-44122-P cat-back kit. It is 409 stainless steel. And is on sale at Summit Racing for $465.70 plus tax with free shipping. It uses the OEM hanger and bolts to the flange behind the cat. Here is kind of what it sounds like. 

Want to hear something really weird?  I have a Summit Racing about 5 miles from me in McDonough, GA.  Please let us all know how it sounds in the real world and thanks for taking one for the team!!

I have been looking at this kit for awhile. Last week when I was under the truck measuring the muffler. I saw the seam where the tailpipe end and the main body was leaking. Holes were along the seam on the main body. So I really started looking at mufflers. After figuring muffler, clamps, and pipe. I was almost half way to the price of this kit. Then seen it was on sale for around a $100 less with free shipping. I thought screw it! May as well start with new. It's stainless steel and the muffler is the style that I was favoring. With going with this, bigger pipes and straight flow muffler, have a better chance of not having manifold problems. Watched a video of one of the exhaust guys, one of the best things you can do is trade out the OEM muffler, which will reduce heat and back pressure. And help stop manifold warpage. I think it was Mike from MPI company. Talking with my Brother-in-law, and he decided to do the same to their 2021 Silverado 2500hd.  They said shipping wouldn't be until April 15th, directly from provider. Thinking of upgrading the clamps to the wider 2 bolt clamps. Better seal at the joints. Yeah, and my truck only has 17500 miles on the odometer. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We got both of them installed Friday morning. No I didn't think about pictures or video, sorry. They are a little louder and deeper tone. To me they sound good. We cut behind the muffler. Then unbolted at the flange and popped the 2 hangers. And took it out as 1 piece. Then did the tailpipe 3 hangers and out it came. Everything set to go back in. Flange pipe with hanger, a in-between pipe depending on what cab you have. Next pipe with hanger, then the muffler, over the axle pipe with 2 hangers next to the muffler and then the tailpipe with hanger. Adjust the pipes and tighten all the clamps. Then put the tip on. It was around 2 hours to do both trucks. We updated the clamps to a 2 bolt clamps. Better seal. Probably didn't need to. We'll see how loud they are when we start pulling campers. It definitely opened up the exhaust flow. OEM pipes were 3.5 inch and the OEM muffler was only 3 inch pipe inlet and outlet. This is 4 inch pipe and muffler all the way through and out the tailpipe. Now just drive it and let the computer readjust. Next it will be air intake upgrade. Get rid of the resonator box and just have a tube from the filter box to throttle body .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I finally got the drive my truck out on the highway. I have drone in the cab. It relaxes, it goes away. As soon as a load from going up hill. It comes back. Going to add a resonator or change the muffler. I can imagine how loud it will be pulling camper. But, it did run better. Better throttle response. I seen that there is Inserts to go in the muffler to help with this. Going to check these out and see if they can help without costing alot. Trying not to spend too much on fixing it. 

5 minutes ago, Randal Scott said:

Well, I finally got the drive my truck out on the highway. I have drone in the cab. It relaxes, it goes away. As soon as a load from going up hill. It comes back. Going to add a resonator or change the muffler. I can imagine how loud it will be pulling camper. But, it did run better. Better throttle response. I seen that there is Inserts to go in the muffler to help with this. Going to check these out and see if they can help without costing alot. Trying not to spend too much on fixing it. 

And that's what I was afraid of is the sound/drone when towing our camper.  We are planning a 3K plus mile round trip this August.  I know for a fact that drone would drive me insane.  I hope you get it resolved and sounding better.

• Like 1

I have an extra oem exhaust from my 2021 that I'm going to hack up. I had the MBRP on my 2021 and liked it, wife just got annoyed with it when towing the camper. No drone just a little loud when towing.

For my 2024, I'm most likely going with a Vibrant resonator to a nice chambered Magnaflow muffler. Then I'll 45 degree the end of the exhaust out behind the right rear wheel like my old mbrp with a new tip. I really don't like the look of the gasser oem exhaust out the back of the truck. 

I'll let y'all know how it goes and what it sounds like. One of the many joys of being a welder for 20+ years is trying this stuff out!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, the8rotor said:

I have an extra oem exhaust from my 2021 that I'm going to hack up. I had the MBRP on my 2021 and liked it, wife just got annoyed with it when towing the camper. No drone just a little loud when towing.

For my 2024, I'm most likely going with a Vibrant resonator to a nice chambered Magnaflow muffler. Then I'll 45 degree the end of the exhaust out behind the right rear wheel like my old mbrp with a new tip. I really don't like the look of the gasser oem exhaust out the back of the truck. 

I'll let y'all know how it goes and what it sounds like. One of the many joys of being a welder for 20+ years is trying this stuff out!

I look forward to your experiences.  Way back when I was a certified Aircraft welder...I haven't done it in years but it never leaves you.  That is amazing sir!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I look forward to your experiences.  Way back when I was a certified Aircraft welder...I haven't done it in years but it never leaves you.  That is amazing sir!

That's awesome! Aluminum or Inconel welding?

1 minute ago, the8rotor said:

That's awesome! Aluminum or Inconel welding?

Primarily aluminum.  I got certified on inconel but didn't really do anything with it back then.  I was going to go the to the rotor shop after I got certified but didn't end up doing that.  I know one thing, trying to safety wire with inconel wire is damn the fingers....the blood will stop running out of your fingers eventually....lol...

• Haha 1

About seven years ago Delta sent me to get my universal refringent license.  I work on chillers these days.  I call them oversized and overpriced window units....lol.....The ones that keep the food and drinks cold on international aircraft.  They are 50k each....and most international aircraft have like 4 of them in the back in 2 in the front...lol...

Edited by Jettech1

4 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

About seven years ago Delta sent me to get my universal refringent license.  I work on chillers these days.  I call them oversized and overpriced window units....lol.....The ones that keep the food and drinks cold on international aircraft.  They are 50k each....and most international aircraft have like 4 of them in the back in 2 in the front...lol...

That's awesome! I used to work with a retired Northwest Airlines Weld Inspector. The stories were pretty wild from those days of the repairs he had to do.