Trying to do what the manual says

2023 6.6gas

Manual says not to tow heavy loads until after first oil change. Kind of vague. 

Everyone's idea of oil changes can vary from old school to new. Is it just getting out any break in contaminants. Or go till the notification tells me to change it. 

I'm thinking 4000mi. With some old school thinking of 3000mi, plus I'm anxious to tow. But want to do what is best for owning this truck for a long time. 

• Like 1

I have never seen that in the owners manual but I certainly have not read every word of it. Where does it say that? I first towed with 800 miles on my truck. I did first oil change at 3300 miles and will be every 5000 miles for remainder of ownership.

• Like 1

That is very vague.  We had to pick up our new camper in Jacksonville, FL last September.  We took delivery of our beast on Aug. 31st.  My goal was to get at least 1000 miles on it before we towed anything for the first time.  So it worked out when we drove to Jacksonville we had 1100 miles on the truck with the factory oil in it.  We towed our 8k pound camper from Jacksonville to Byron, GA, I forget how many miles....300 or less perhaps.  Anyhow I had the first oil change done at 2500 miles.  I'm creeping up on 6k miles and will have it changed at 7500.  In my super small brain, after 1k miles of engine "break-in" I'm sure you will be fine.  I will say this, the brakes didn't feel normal, by that I mean like normal pedal pressure to stop, super hard pedal pressure, until I hit 2000 miles.  It appears they take some time to bed in to the rotors.  More time than any vehicle I've ever owned.  I was concerned about that but luckily they feel totally normal now and I don't have to worry about slamming our faces off the dashboard when driving our Explorer now...lol...

1 minute ago, Gary Camille said:

After Flatus asked where does it say that,  I had to go back and look.  I did also find under "break in" . It says break in is at 4000mi. So I'm going with that for first oil change. 

Excellent.  You paid a lot of money for your truck and you need to do what makes you feel comfortable with it.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gary Camille said:

@Jettech1

the manual talked about breaking in the breaks also.  Use lightly first 500mi. 

I don't know if it feels like it's hard to bring your truck to a halt, I'm talking about pedal pressure.  If it does, like mine did, they get better over time, at least mine did.  All felt normal around 2k miles with just moderate pedal pressure.

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

That is very vague.  We had to pick up our new camper in Jacksonville, FL last September.  We took delivery of our beast on Aug. 31st.  My goal was to get at least 1000 miles on it before we towed anything for the first time.  So it worked out when we drove to Jacksonville we had 1100 miles on the truck with the factory oil in it.  We towed our 8k pound camper from Jacksonville to Byron, GA, I forget how many miles....300 or less perhaps.  Anyhow I had the first oil change done at 2500 miles.  I'm creeping up on 6k miles and will have it changed at 7500.  In my super small brain, after 1k miles of engine "break-in" I'm sure you will be fine.  I will say this, the brakes didn't feel normal, by that I mean like normal pedal pressure to stop, super hard pedal pressure, until I hit 2000 miles.  It appears they take some time to bed in to the rotors.  More time than any vehicle I've ever owned.  I was concerned about that but luckily they feel totally normal now and I don't have to worry about slamming our faces off the dashboard when driving our Explorer now...lol...

I used to get my new truck put exhaust on it, the fifth wheel hookup load up my tractor and pedal to the metal. Some may have had 100 miles on them. Never had a problem. My first diesel a 91 Ram stayed around for 350K as a backup to our rigs. One clutch at 250 just because it had to be bad. It wasn’t. We started pulling heavy in the 70s. Stop pulling our own equipment in the mid 2000s. I guess trucks are more sensitive now. When my father test drove his 95 V-10 dually he power brake it so long there was rubber behind the back tire. The sale man almost fainted. Yup I’ll take it he said. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I don't know if it feels like it's hard to bring your truck to a halt, I'm talking about pedal pressure.  If it does, like mine did, they get better over time, at least mine did.  All felt normal around 2k miles with just moderate pedal pressure.

My first brand new truck. So dissected the manual and took it easy. Didn't feel a difference over time. 

I'm an old 70s International Harvesters truck guy. So I definitely know the feel of brakes 😆

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I used to get my new truck put exhaust on it, the fifth wheel hookup load up my tractor and pedal to the metal. Some may have had 100 miles on them. Never had a problem. My first diesel a 91 Ram stayed around for 350K as a backup to our rigs. One clutch at 250 just because it had to be bad. It wasn’t. We started pulling heavy in the 70s. Stop pulling our own equipment in the mid 2000s. I guess trucks are more sensitive now. When my father test drove his 95 V-10 dually he power brake it so long there was rubber behind the back tire. The sale man almost fainted. Yup I’ll take it he said. 

I love that story and am not trying to top you at all....BUT, growing up as a son of State Trooper that got a new car every 2 years.  His motto was, break them in fast and hard.  Obviously he had to, it wasn't like, (oh no, I can't chase that car down going 100mph because my patrol car only has 100 miles on it), nope.  Foot to the floor from day one!!!  This was back in the 70's and 80's and early 90's before he retired.  Foot to the floor, that is how you break them in....lol...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

I love that story and am not trying to top you at all....BUT, growing up as a son of State Trooper that got a new car every 2 years.  His motto was, break them in fast and hard.  Obviously he had to, it wasn't like, (oh no, I can't chase that car down going 100mph because my patrol car only has 100 miles on it), nope.  Foot to the floor from day one!!!  This was back in the 70's and 80's and early 90's before he retired.  Foot to the floor, that is how you break them in....lol...

I don’t worry about topping or anything like that. I just relate my experiences. It’s all good.

• Like 2