Tailgate pull to open

I too had been having problems with my tailgate not wanting to drop on its own. I didn't want to go through the whole changing out parts. I ended up pulling out the spray can of a product that is labeled cleaner/penetrant/lubricant (not WD-40 BTW) and liberally sprayed down both sides hinges. I did notice some rusting on the passenger side bushing as I was doing this. After, I lifted the tailgate to almost closed and hit the right side bushing again. The tailgate seems to now open again the way it did when new. We will see how long this holds up...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyk101 said:

I too had been having problems with my tailgate not wanting to drop on its own. I didn't want to go through the whole changing out parts. I ended up pulling out the spray can of a product that is labeled cleaner/penetrant/lubricant (not WD-40 BTW) and liberally sprayed down both sides hinges. I did notice some rusting on the passenger side bushing as I was doing this. After, I lifted the tailgate to almost closed and hit the right side bushing again. The tailgate seems to now open again the way it did when new. We will see how long this holds up...

When I removed my hinge, it simply moved freely and offered no resistance.
I'll edit with another lousy video once it uploads ...
Took a bit of time, but here it is:

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 2