Tailgate pull to open

Problem: When I open my tailgate with the handle it will no longer fold down on its own, I have to grab the top of the tailgate and pull it toward me for it to open.  I can pull it halfway open and let go, it will remain in that position and will not fold down further.  It's a 2015 slt.

Looking for advice on what parts I need to replace.  I noticed the plastic bushings for lack of a better word where it rotates on either side seem to be broken, not sure what else is needed.  It still locks fine, I just have to use some elbow grease to open or close the thing.

2 hours ago, Skeeter McSkeet said:

Problem: When I open my tailgate with the handle it will no longer fold down on its own, I have to grab the top of the tailgate and pull it toward me for it to open.  I can pull it halfway open and let go, it will remain in that position and will not fold down further.  It's a 2015 slt.

Looking for advice on what parts I need to replace.  I noticed the plastic bushings for lack of a better word where it rotates on either side seem to be broken, not sure what else is needed.  It still locks fine, I just have to use some elbow grease to open or close the thing.

My guess is number #14, or #3 on the diagram, they are what make the "easy lift" work on your tailgate.

Tailgate problems - 2014 / 2015 / 2016 / 2017 / 2018 Chevrolet Silverado & GMC Sierra 1500 - GM ...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rav3 said:

My tailgate doesn't slam let alone open unless I push/pull it all the way flat.  Based off how it functions I am thinking I'll need a new torque rod and/or hinge that @JimCost2014 mentioned plus these bushings, as I have pulled little pieces of the busted bushings off.  Thanks for the video, been a long time since I took a tailgate off! 

• Like 1

On 2/23/2023 at 11:02 AM, Skeeter McSkeet said:

My tailgate doesn't slam let alone open unless I push/pull it all the way flat.  Based off how it functions I am thinking I'll need a new torque rod and/or hinge that @JimCost2014 mentioned plus these bushings, as I have pulled little pieces of the busted bushings off.  Thanks for the video, been a long time since I took a tailgate off! 

I'm thinking the same for my truck regarding the torque rod.
I've already replaced the plastic bushing but the assist is still minimal albeit a bit better.

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2023 at 5:03 PM, MikeBMW said:

I'm thinking the same for my truck regarding the torque rod.
I've already replaced the plastic bushing but the assist is still minimal albeit a bit better.

On 2/23/2023 at 8:02 AM, Skeeter McSkeet said:

I would start with #3, you can access it by taking out/off your taillight.

#14 has two screws at the bottom of the tailgate that hold it in place, but if I remember correctly, there is a little "plate" inside the tailgate that they go into that is not attached to anything. I tried adding one to my 08, still sitting on a shelf in the garage, could never figure it out.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JimCost2014 said:

I would start with #3, you can access it by taking out/off your taillight.

#14 has two screws at the bottom of the tailgate that hold it in place, but if I remember correctly, there is a little "plate" inside the tailgate that they go into that is not attached to anything. I tried added one to my 08, still sitting on a shelf in the garage, could never figure it out.

Thanks, Jim, I've already replace #3 (plastic bushing) and had some improvement but very little.
I ordered the torsion bar (torque rod?) part #14 last night and, hopefully, it will bring the assist back to when new.

Edited by MikeBMW

4 hours ago, MikeBMW said:

Thanks, Jim, I've already replace #3 (plastic bushing) and had some improvement but very little.
I ordered the torsion bar (torque rod?) part #14 last night and, hopefully, it will bring the assist back to when new.

Maybe I misspoke, it is the part that is bolted in the side of the bed, so probably #2. Think it has 3? screws that hold it in and is painted the same color as the truck. It is under load, and think it just wears out. The plastic bushing does nothing as far as the damping goes, think it just "protects" the painted area.

Just dawned on me, it is the part the plastic bushing sits on, does not look like it moves, but it does.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Maybe I misspoke, it is the part that is bolted in the side of the bed, so probably #2. Think it has 3? screws that hold it in and is painted the same color as the truck. It is under load, and think it just wears out. The plastic bushing does nothing as far as the damping goes, think it just "protects" the painted area.

Part #2 seems to be the plastic bushing I thought was part #3.
I'll just get all the parts for that area to see if I can bring it back.
2 screws, best as I can tell from the diagram.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2017-chevrolet-silverado-1500--lt--5-3l-v8-gas/body--tailgate

tailgate.png

Edited by MikeBMW
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Part #2 seems to be the plastic bushing I thought was part #3.
I'll just get all the parts for that area to see if I can bring it back.
2 screws, best as I can tell from the diagram.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2017-chevrolet-silverado-1500--lt--5-3l-v8-gas/body--tailgate

tailgate.png

Yea, pretty sure #3 slows it down, and #14 makes it easier to lift, and they are not connected/joined in any way.

Would just buy #2 and #3 to start. If yours still lifts easy, would say nothing wrong with #14.

• Like 1

All right, now I get it. There was a member who replaced this before, and now I remember why he took out his taillight.

You need number 5, maybe 4 to be safe, and probably not 3, maybe just to be safe? They all are connected, but through the bed of the truck, and the diagram does not show that. So, 2 and 3 are accessible inside the bed, then 4 and 5 are inside the fender well.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

All right, now I get it. There was a member who replaced this before, and now I remember why he took out his taillight.

You need number 5, maybe 4 to be safe, and probably not 3, maybe just to be safe? They all are connected, but through the bed of the truck, and the diagram does not show that. So, 2 and 3 are accessible inside the bed, then 4 and 5 are inside the fender well.

I'll have to recheck my order but I think I have each one on the way soon.
Thanks, Jim!

11 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

I'll have to recheck my order but I think I have each one on the way soon.
Thanks, Jim!

You are very welcome, cold outside today, snow coming. The brain just needed a few minutes to warm up😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimCost2014 said:

You are very welcome, cold outside today, snow coming. The brain just needed a few minutes to warm up😁

I get it, NP, I grew up in the Nort'.
I think my brain overheated in our 85 degree temps today. 🤪
Stay warm! (I do miss the snow though, I have to admit)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeBMW said:

I get it, NP, I grew up in the Nort'.
I think my brain overheated in our 85 degree temps today. 🤪
Stay warm! (I do miss the snow though, I have to admit)

Last couple of years we have had some, think I live in the opposite Charlie Brown cloud where I get no snow and everyone else get feet of it. I am always impressed how well my truck does in it, have been in the deep stuff in the mountains, and the trace/few inches stuff locally, and never missed a day of work because of it. Actually, kind of therapeutic driving in the mornings with no one else on the roads, just white and very quiet.

• Like 1