2021 silverado 1500 rear tires randomly lock up and skid tires at highway speed

I have a 2021 silverado 1500 with the 3.0L duramax and just this past week ive had it happen 3 times when id be driving at highway speed doin 100kmh and out of nowhere i hear a big clunk and the rear tires lock up smoking both tires down highway then instantly rolls freely again. The first time it did it my thoughts were the electric park brake thinking could there be an electrical short that activated them again but after the second time im starting to think it was something with the transmission. The first two times it happened i was able to keep driving without coming to a complete stop. The 3rd time was this morning and again big clunk and both back tires locked up on the highway smokin both tires while haulin my flat deck but when the tires started rollin with eas again couple seconds after i had to come.to a rolling stop because it caused the engine to shut off. So while on side of highway with my four ways on i tried starting many times and wouldnt start. I disconnected the batter and sat for 10 min and then the truck started juat fine and i drove the last 10 km till i got home going only 80kmh. Called the dealership the first time it happened and all they said is weve never heard of that and that they are booked for the next couple weeks and couldnt look at my truck.. 

Whoa, I have no clue, but that is a serious issue for sure and I hope you get it squared away.  

I wonder if the trailer connection is faulty somewhere causing engagement of the parking brakes while in motion.  Were you pulling a trailer every time it occurred?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

I have a 2021 silverado 1500 with the 3.0L duramax and just this past week ive had it happen 3 times when id be driving at highway speed doin 100kmh and out of nowhere i hear a big clunk and the rear tires lock up smoking both tires down highway then instantly rolls freely again. The first time it did it my thoughts were the electric park brake thinking could there be an electrical short that activated them again but after the second time im starting to think it was something with the transmission. The first two times it happened i was able to keep driving without coming to a complete stop. The 3rd time was this morning and again big clunk and both back tires locked up on the highway smokin both tires while haulin my flat deck but when the tires started rollin with eas again couple seconds after i had to come.to a rolling stop because it caused the engine to shut off. So while on side of highway with my four ways on i tried starting many times and wouldnt start. I disconnected the batter and sat for 10 min and then the truck started juat fine and i drove the last 10 km till i got home going only 80kmh. Called the dealership the first time it happened and all they said is weve never heard of that and that they are booked for the next couple weeks and couldnt look at my truck.. 

You live in Texas, go to another dealer!

I have also never heard of that happening to any GM truck, owned them for 30+ years. Only time i had a lock up like that was when my pinion head sheared off and jammed the rear gear up. Clearly not the case here but i'm shocked your dealer told you to beat feet with an issue like this, they should make time for you and you should not be driving a truck around that has the potential to lock the rears at highway speeds, that is not a cool problem to have.

Ya the first time it happened i instantly thought electric park brake might of shorted since the snow here is melting fast and contitions are wet then i thought sure felt like asif the diff piled up but if that was the case it wouldnt of just locked the tires for a couple seconds and still drives smooth i dont hear any whining from gears in the diff or trany theres no vibrations and it drives smooth and fine until your relaxed and cruisin down the hwy and the truck decides it wants to scare the ****** out of me. I just picked up the flat deck from my dads farm this morning hoping to go on a 4 hr cruise to pick up a cargo trailer that was cheap but needed work so was gonna trailer it home but now i dont know if i wanna take that risk and travel that far not knowing whats realy going on. Itd be much easier for me to diagnose it if whatever causes the rear to lock up stayed locked up but hard to find the problem when its working still 

Please keep us posted as to what you find. Does Canada have the equivalent of the NTSB? This is a serious safety issue, the dealer opened themselves and GM to a lawsuit by not sending a tow truck and a loaner as soon as you reported the problem

Never heard of NTSB but i just googled it and doesnt look like they are involved in passenger vehicles just air transport, marine and railway. My truck has 82,000km on it and its actualy a lease. Are they still obligated to have it towed and lend me a lender truck till fixed? I asked the dealership once before when i needed the def tank heater replaced if i was able to use a lender for the 2 days it was down and they said no the most they can do is give me a ride home in there shuttle van 

Try NHTSA, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Canada equivalent, You will have to read the terms of your lease as far as the loaner but where it is such a safety issue a call to GM corporate may get the ball rolling

1 hour ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

And im not in texas im in Alberta, Canada.. i wouldnt mind some Texas weather right about now though ha

Yup, sorry about that was looking at Gangly's location.

Still applies as to why a dealership would turn you away regardless of how busy they claim to be, this is a pretty severe issue which imo makes your truck undrivable. You need to think about other people on the road and the potential you could ruin their day with your selfishness, driving a truck you know is having issues.

• Thanks 1

Ya i myself thought this was a safety concern. But my local dealer didnt say much when i called n told them this happened as i was just about to overtake someone on the hwy aswel and with our winter roads it could of easily caused me to spin out of control on the hwy. All she said was i asked our tech if hes heard of this and he said hes never but if you wanna bring it in you can but unfortunately the garage was booked for the next 2 weeks so itd be awhile before attended too.. i couldnt go that long without a truck so i just told her well ill just keep drivin it then till you guys are free to look at it and that was that. 

Im wondering if this could be a falty shift solenoid or shift module? Could it not be possible that the transmission is for some reason dropping out of gear and then engaging in a too low of gear? Im surprised whatever the cause is that it hasnt caused the tranny or diff to shear the gears off or break the drive shaft

I doubt it's the parking brake. If you leave the parking brake on, shift into drive, then start driving away the parking brake will automatically disengage. You're in Canada, so I'm assuming snow. I wonder if this is an overly aggressive or malfunctioning e-locker? Maybe something happening in the transmission that shouldn't be happening. I'm reasonably confident this isn't a parking brake issue.

Edited by Transient

Ya i myself thought this was a safety cncern. But my local dealer didnt say much when i called n told them this happened as i was just about to overtake someone on the hwy aswel and with our winter roads it could of easily caused me to spin out of control on the hwy. All she said was i asked our tech if hes heard of this and he said hes never but if you wanna bring it in you can but unfortunately the garage was booked for the next 2 weeks so itd be awhile before attended too.. i couldnt go that long without a truck so i just told her well ill just keep drivin it then till you guys are free to look at it and that was that. 

Im wondering if this could be a falty shift solenoid or shift module? Could it not be possible that the transmission is for some reason dropping out of gear and then engaging in a too low of gear? Im surprised whatever the cause is that it hasnt caused the tranny or diff to shear the gears off or break the drive shaft

BiGDOG x you make a good point i never took that i to consideration. But i am now. 

I should of know this myself as the ast Mat 4th i was T boned by a 1 ton truck on my motorcycle and lost my left leg and broke 3 ribs and 2 fractures on my spine.. spent my entire summer in the hospital. 

You are gonna get a new valve body:

21-NA-275: Rear Wheel Lock Up, ABS Event, Loud Bang and a Flashing “D” on Driver Information Center (DIC) when Lightly or Moderately Accelerating Forcing an 8-7 or 8-6 Downshift 

2020-2021 10 speed

Condition

Some customers may comment on the following conditions while lightly to moderately accelerating, forcing an 8-7 or 8-6 downshift between 64-96 km/h (40-60 mph) with the transmission at operating temperature:

Rear wheel/tire lockup or an ABS event

Loud bang

Very hard 8-7 or 8-6 downshift

Feeling of hitting a large pothole or large speed bump

Flashing “D” on the DIC

Cause

This condition may be caused by an internal control valve body issue.

Correction

Replace the valve body assembly. Refer to Control Valve Body Replacement in SI.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1