2021 silverado 1500 rear tires randomly lock up and skid tires at highway speed

1 hour ago, newdude said:

You are gonna get a new valve body:

21-NA-275: Rear Wheel Lock Up, ABS Event, Loud Bang and a Flashing “D” on Driver Information Center (DIC) when Lightly or Moderately Accelerating Forcing an 8-7 or 8-6 Downshift 

2020-2021 10 speed

Condition

Some customers may comment on the following conditions while lightly to moderately accelerating, forcing an 8-7 or 8-6 downshift between 64-96 km/h (40-60 mph) with the transmission at operating temperature:

Rear wheel/tire lockup or an ABS event

Loud bang

Very hard 8-7 or 8-6 downshift

Feeling of hitting a large pothole or large speed bump

Flashing “D” on the DIC

Cause

This condition may be caused by an internal control valve body issue.

Correction

Replace the valve body assembly. Refer to Control Valve Body Replacement in SI.

Thanks for sharing. Is this a fairly easy and inexpensive repair? This must take a toll on the entire drivetrain and could cause alot more damage if not taken care of quickly i assume?

5 minutes ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

Thanks for sharing. Is this a fairly easy and inexpensive repair? This must take a toll on the entire drivetrain and could cause alot more damage if not taken care of quickly i assume?

Its around $1400 usd for parts and fluids.  4.5 hours labor.  There is programming involved as well.

I'd like to assume you are under warranty still being a 2021?  Unless you are out by mileage.  

1 minute ago, newdude said:

Its around $1400 usd for parts and fluids.  4.5 hours labor.  There is programming involved as well.

I'd like to assume you are under warranty still being a 2021?  Unless you are out by mileage.  

I believe i still do i dont remember what the powertrain mileage was i have 82,000km and id have to find my paper work but i think i have 100,000km powertain warrenty 

42 minutes ago, newdude said:

Of course they would stick it in a tsb and make owners have to go through locking up their back tires driving 50+ on the highway, and then play the what is wrong game with their dealers! A safety recall which is what this should be, would then make GM notify and cover the cost for customers!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2023 at 10:26 AM, newdude said:

You are gonna get a new valve body:

21-NA-275: Rear Wheel Lock Up, ABS Event, Loud Bang and a Flashing “D” on Driver Information Center (DIC) when Lightly or Moderately Accelerating Forcing an 8-7 or 8-6 Downshift 

2020-2021 10 speed

Condition

Some customers may comment on the following conditions while lightly to moderately accelerating, forcing an 8-7 or 8-6 downshift between 64-96 km/h (40-60 mph) with the transmission at operating temperature:

Rear wheel/tire lockup or an ABS event

Loud bang

Very hard 8-7 or 8-6 downshift

Feeling of hitting a large pothole or large speed bump

Flashing “D” on the DIC

Cause

This condition may be caused by an internal control valve body issue.

Correction

Replace the valve body assembly. Refer to Control Valve Body Replacement in SI.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I’m wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with it? I just bought a used 2021 gmc elevation and about four days into owning it we were driving down the interstate at 80mph and the back wheels locked up and instantly let go, and did it 2 more times. We brought to the dealer on a trailer in fear of driving it and having a serious crash. They are saying they’ve ran all diagnostics and there is nothing wrong with it. I’m scared to drive it again at high speeds and my entire commute to and from work is interstate driving. 

Well we did figure out what was wrong with it and its exactly as newdude said, only that our later on would do it in any gear, we have still not gotten the truck fixed as everytime i took it to the dealership they wouldnt look at it until it did the rear lock up while i drove taking there tech for a drive.. for one which we thought was ridiculous that they wanted us to put ourself and there employee at risk by trying to get it to do it for them to see. First time to dealership they turned me away completely and said we never heard of such a thing before.. so we continued to drive it given we are financially strapped and unable to afford another vehicle or to fix it out of pocket. We had warrenty on it the entire time aswel. Then while i was up north for work my gf had the truck do it to her and she called the dealership where we live but not where truck was from and they told her they werent able to look at it for 2 weeks. I then contacted general motors and they called the dealership and told them to take the truck imediatly for warrwnty repairs.. she went to the dealer and sat there for 1 hr 45 min as they told her they were busy and gonna have to wait.. and that they did not have a lender vehicle.. after waiting for nearly 2 hrs she had to leave to get kids from school. We then reported it to transport safety canada and then they told us to file and report our file number to general motors and we did.. then we had salesman from dealership truck come from try and buy the truck back but was also trying to put us in exact same truck but a 2023 and same trim and interior package but nearly double the price as our 2022. During the time talking to saleman during the week in hopes for a replacement the transmission completely crapped out and quick driving completely. Dealership up north had us tow it to our house with warrenty tow then to find out we had to pay for tow to the local dealership which they had told us they werent gonna charge us our monthly payments on the lease during the time its broken and then said they didnt have a lender yet again. Shortly after while truck was still in our driveway we got contacted by general motos finance department telling us we were a month behind on payments and we told them no we were told we dont have to until truck issue is resolved. He said no ans took us to collections.. truck had now sat in our driveway couple months and finaly we contacted general motos ceo and said we dont even want the truck you can have it but for the danger you guys allowed us and left us in and for the frustrations and damage to my gfs and kids anxiety and fear of tye truck having to drive it like that for over 5 months we wanted all our lease payments back since we first reported the problem and they bluntly ignored us and put us on the back burner. They refused.. then a balif showed up.. she hears story and refused to repo it and told us what to do so we then had 2 mechanics look over the truck and give us written reports both saying its unsafe.. but then the balif called us and told us she has no choice she has to repo it her boss is not giving her a choice.. so we then trailered it and have it hidden and they still refuse to compensate us at all.. and they havent found it and now are telling us they are going to take this to court which we are hoping for so we can pleade our case to the court and for them to ignore this safet issue the way we see it they voided there contract by not holding to tye warrenty policy. As of right now trucks still hidden and still awaiting to be served court papers

Not only was it nerv wracking to drive the truck i was also T boned by a 1 tons truck May 4th 2022 on my motorcycle and spent 4 months in hospital and lost my left leg and had broken 4 ribs and 3 fractures along my spine and major concussion and broken wrist.. i was already a nervous driver after my accident let alone ready to have a truck make me that uncomfortable and worried about mine and everyone elses safety.. 

And sorry for the long message and rambling on..

7 hours ago, Curtis Atkinson said:

Well we did figure out what was wrong with it and its exactly as newdude said, only that our later on would do it in any gear, we have still not gotten the truck fixed as everytime i took it to the dealership they wouldnt look at it until it did the rear lock up while i drove taking there tech for a drive.. for one which we thought was ridiculous that they wanted us to put ourself and there employee at risk by trying to get it to do it for them to see. First time to dealership they turned me away completely and said we never heard of such a thing before.. so we continued to drive it given we are financially strapped and unable to afford another vehicle or to fix it out of pocket. We had warrenty on it the entire time aswel. Then while i was up north for work my gf had the truck do it to her and she called the dealership where we live but not where truck was from and they told her they werent able to look at it for 2 weeks. I then contacted general motors and they called the dealership and told them to take the truck imediatly for warrwnty repairs.. she went to the dealer and sat there for 1 hr 45 min as they told her they were busy and gonna have to wait.. and that they did not have a lender vehicle.. after waiting for nearly 2 hrs she had to leave to get kids from school. We then reported it to transport safety canada and then they told us to file and report our file number to general motors and we did.. then we had salesman from dealership truck come from try and buy the truck back but was also trying to put us in exact same truck but a 2023 and same trim and interior package but nearly double the price as our 2022. During the time talking to saleman during the week in hopes for a replacement the transmission completely crapped out and quick driving completely. Dealership up north had us tow it to our house with warrenty tow then to find out we had to pay for tow to the local dealership which they had told us they werent gonna charge us our monthly payments on the lease during the time its broken and then said they didnt have a lender yet again. Shortly after while truck was still in our driveway we got contacted by general motos finance department telling us we were a month behind on payments and we told them no we were told we dont have to until truck issue is resolved. He said no ans took us to collections.. truck had now sat in our driveway couple months and finaly we contacted general motos ceo and said we dont even want the truck you can have it but for the danger you guys allowed us and left us in and for the frustrations and damage to my gfs and kids anxiety and fear of tye truck having to drive it like that for over 5 months we wanted all our lease payments back since we first reported the problem and they bluntly ignored us and put us on the back burner. They refused.. then a balif showed up.. she hears story and refused to repo it and told us what to do so we then had 2 mechanics look over the truck and give us written reports both saying its unsafe.. but then the balif called us and told us she has no choice she has to repo it her boss is not giving her a choice.. so we then trailered it and have it hidden and they still refuse to compensate us at all.. and they havent found it and now are telling us they are going to take this to court which we are hoping for so we can pleade our case to the court and for them to ignore this safet issue the way we see it they voided there contract by not holding to tye warrenty policy. As of right now trucks still hidden and still awaiting to be served court papers

Wow that’s crazy and I’m so sorry that you’re going through all that. 
A little back story on our truck which I haven’t even owned two weeks now. But I found out who the previous owners were they actually happened to be people I know, and I bought the truck from the dealer. Anyhow they have taken it to several dealers including dealers in other states and always told there’s nothing wrong with it. For over 6 months and at least 5 dealers. Even contacts GM and GM put a new motor in it 6,000 miles ago. So what I thought was a truck with 90,000 only has 6,000 on the motor. But GM or the dealer didn’t disclose any of that. Why wouldn’t a dealer want to tell you that information that would make the value of the vehicle higher. But I am also going to call GM this morning and contact the national highway and safety. I’ve also spoken with several mechanics that believe it has to be transmission related but I don’t know what all the dealer actually checks. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 9:03 PM, Kari Bannister said:

I’m wondering if you ever figured out what was wrong with it? I just bought a used 2021 gmc elevation and about four days into owning it we were driving down the interstate at 80mph and the back wheels locked up and instantly let go, and did it 2 more times. We brought to the dealer on a trailer in fear of driving it and having a serious crash. They are saying they’ve ran all diagnostics and there is nothing wrong with it. I’m scared to drive it again at high speeds and my entire commute to and from work is interstate driving. 

This is certainly not something we like to hear, Kari Bannister. With safety being an utmost priority, we understand your displeasure with this situation. So we may learn more about your recent experience, please send us a an email with additional details to [email protected] with ATTN: Isabel/Kari Bannister/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

On 11/28/2023 at 7:07 AM, Kari Bannister said:

Wow that’s crazy and I’m so sorry that you’re going through all that. 
A little back story on our truck which I haven’t even owned two weeks now. But I found out who the previous owners were they actually happened to be people I know, and I bought the truck from the dealer. Anyhow they have taken it to several dealers including dealers in other states and always told there’s nothing wrong with it. For over 6 months and at least 5 dealers. Even contacts GM and GM put a new motor in it 6,000 miles ago. So what I thought was a truck with 90,000 only has 6,000 on the motor. But GM or the dealer didn’t disclose any of that. Why wouldn’t a dealer want to tell you that information that would make the value of the vehicle higher. But I am also going to call GM this morning and contact the national highway and safety. I’ve also spoken with several mechanics that believe it has to be transmission related but I don’t know what all the dealer actually checks. 

We hope all is well, Kari Bannister. As previously mentioned, our team would like the opportunity to look into this matter on our end. To do so, please send us an email with details revolving around this experience to [email protected] with ATTN: Isabel/Kari Bannister/GM Trucks in the subject line. Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

1 hour ago, GMCustomerService said:

We hope all is well, Kari Bannister. As previously mentioned, our team would like the opportunity to look into this matter on our end. To do so, please send us an email with details revolving around this experience to [email protected] with ATTN: Isabel/Kari Bannister/GM Trucks in the subject line. Thank you and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kari bannister do this with GM customer service. When they get involved it pushes dealerships to do things right . Also this might help with a recall abd maybe reimbursement.