Rear camera cuts out in reverse

2 minutes ago, Crambone said:

Hi Gravel, is this a TSB that gm issued?

Yes, it's titled Rearview Camera Intermittent in Low Light Conditions.

However, when I spoke w/ Chevrolet customer service in an attempt to get some more information, they tried to convince me that the dealership made this and they had no way of locating it. I don't believe this to be true as multiple dealerships were able to look it up and confirm that it was generated by GM.

It's getting a bit annoying at this point as I do a lot of night driving and the camera is essentially ineffective.

Just now, Gravel6621 said:

Yes, it's titled Rearview Camera Intermittent in Low Light Conditions.

However, when I spoke w/ Chevrolet customer service in an attempt to get some more information, they tried to convince me that the dealership made this and they had no way of locating it. I don't believe this to be true as multiple dealerships were able to look it up and confirm that it was generated by GM.

It's getting a bit annoying at this point as I do a lot of night driving and the camera is essentially ineffective.

I forgot to mention, there is currently no fix. It just says that engineering is working on identifying the cause and to not replace any parts.

16 hours ago, GMCustomerService said:

This is certainly not what we like to hear, Crambone.  Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your 2023 Chevrolet Silverado. To do so, please send an email to [email protected] with ATTN: Crambone/GM Trucks in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s Privacy Policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html. The information you provide may be monitored and recorded and is subject to the GM Privacy Statement.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com

I followed up with your suggestion and attached the photograph of the error that happened the very same day we picked the vehicle up from the dealership that was supposed to address this problem.

38A99B65-0C4E-4953-8F96-4034E0905756.jpeg

I went to back out of a parking spot last Thursday after a quick drink stop 2 hours into a 4-hour drive (in my '23 Sierra Denali) and I got that same screen.  No backup camera, no any cameras - just the error screen.  No camera Friday or Saturday, but nothing else unusual.  Sunday - dead battery, and I needed a jumpstart.   I drove 4 hours home and called the dealer Monday.  They can look at it in two weeks. 🙄  Yesterday (Wed), I opened the door and the running board came out, but the truck wouldn't start again, the dash gave me a myriad of errors (4wd, brake system, TCS, etc) which I'm sure was to the low voltage.  I hooked a battery charger up - 12 amp setting, Automatic Charger and current regulated - for 5 hours and the charge needle was still pegged and the charger was pretty warm, so I dropped it to the 2 amp setting and left it for another 3 hours and unplugged it when I went to bed.  I went out this morning to see if it would start.  I think it was reading about 12.3 volts - it fired right up.  I got the GMC logo on the infotainment screen for an extended period - probably 20-30 seconds and when it finally came up, I had lost the stored radio settings BUT I had cameras again.  I don't think I have a shorted cell in the battery (I'm reading 12+ volts) but I'm not driving it for fear of it leaving me stranded.  I was supposed to head out of town in it for the weekend, but I don't trust it, so I'm going to leave it in the garage without a Battery Tender on it and see if it starts on Sunday when I get back.  I don't know if I have a parasitic draw killing the battery or if my month-old truck has a bad battery.  I was thinking something with the camera system shorted and that was killing the battery, but now that the cameras are back, I don't know.  I didn't have any battery issues until right after the cameras went out.  Coincidence?  I don't think low voltage caused the first camera error as I had been highway driving for 2 hours immediately before with no signs of a weak battery before then - the battery should have had a good charge and continued to work fine the next two days, then the next morning, it didn't have enough juice to crank the starter.  The problem with the truck is troubling - BUT having to wait TWO WEEKS to have it looked at is MORE troubling.  At least I have an $80,000 tailgate workbench in the garage now while I work on other things and drive something else.

I would drop a dime on the dealer at GMC customer service. 2 week wait to cure a possible defective battery is unacceptable. You spent big bucks on that truck. 

Low system voltage on start-up will confuse modules in the system as that's when they boot up and battery provides stable voltage until charging system comes online. Solid battery is the foundation for our computers on tires. 

The manufacturer has no idea whatsoever on how to fix this problem, let alone what causes it. Nor are they willing to replace anything.

Probably would have been better off buying a ford.

5-4-23, 12:58 PM Microsoft Lens 2.jpeg

5-4-23, 12:58 PM Microsoft Lens(1) 1.jpeg

Edited by Crambone
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 1:02 PM, Crambone said:

The manufacturer has no idea whatsoever on how to fix this problem, let alone what causes it. Nor are they willing to replace anything.

5-4-23, 12:58 PM Microsoft Lens 2.jpeg

5-4-23, 12:58 PM Microsoft Lens(1) 1.jpeg

Have you heard anything new on this? Last I checked I was told there is still no fix.

No fix yet, they said to call the dealer every couple of weeks and touch base with them. Very frustrating and amazing that they can even find a work around for their own product. This has been happening for some time with several different models. So I wouldn’t hold my breath for a fix. No telling if engineers are even working on it. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 2:02 PM, Crambone said:

Good idea.

I hear ford's never have any sort of quality issues. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information.  The backup camera on my 2022 Refresh 1500 LT is also drops out and then comes back on at night.

One question - Since the PITT5991 only specifies 2023 Silverados, does anyone know if this also applies to 2022 Refresh Silverados as well?

Thanks!

10 hours ago, chem_man said:

Thanks for the information.  The backup camera on my 2022 Refresh 1500 LT is also drops out and then comes back on at night.

One question - Since the PITT5991 only specifies 2023 Silverados, does anyone know if this also applies to 2022 Refresh Silverados as well?

Thanks!

According to the bulletin, it does not. You can review the one files with NHTSA here.