This might turn out to be a great mod for those of us with the work truck and custom models steering wheels

I ordered this stitch up steering wheel cover a few days ago.  The only reason I did is one person said it worked perfectly on the steering wheels that have no leather on them.  I've only did this once before on a 95 benz that I bought used in 99 and the steering wheel leather was trashed.  Bought the cover from benz, took me about 2 hours or so to do it but it turned out perfectly and looked brand new 5 years later when I traded it in.  So this might be the answer to making our cheap ass plastic steering wheels feel better and get more grip from.  From my once past experience doing it, pack a lunch, take your time and it will turn out amazing.  The expected delivery time is 2 weeks to 4 weeks from the one I ordered from Amazon.  I honestly don't care how long it takes as long as it fits well and gives me more grip...so here's the link...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B618FT4V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 minutes ago, asilverblazer said:

"microfiber leather"

If it was REAL leather...

I actually prefer faux leather products.  Real leather just doesn't hold up as well from my experience.  That 95 mercedes I had had the MB tex leather seats.  They looked brand new the whole time I owned it.  The steering wheel actually had real leather and it didn't last but 4 years.  I bought a new benz in 2000 that had real leather and they were starting to show wear lines after only a year.  This holds true with every vehicle I've had with real leather.  That's why I hate leather and will not buy it anymore.  But to each their own.  Some love it and some hate it.  I'm on the hate side...lol...

19 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I actually prefer faux leather products.  Real leather just doesn't hold up as well from my experience.  That 95 mercedes I had had the MB tex leather seats.  They looked brand new the whole time I owned it.  The steering wheel actually had real leather and it didn't last but 4 years.  I bought a new benz in 2000 that had real leather and they were starting to show wear lines after only a year.  This holds true with every vehicle I've had with real leather.  That's why I hate leather and will not buy it anymore.  But to each their own.  Some love it and some hate it.  I'm on the hate side...lol...

Leather terminology is such a mess... the likely hood of anything in a vehicle being an actual intact piece of hide is slim. Maybe in a Mercedes, like an S class, Maybach, AMG or some other option, otherwise I would be very suspect... probably something like 'bonded' leather, 'Genuine' leather, etc. (My 2006 AMG S class 'leather' aged very well, I didn't feel the need to investigate further its actual leather type) Add in the multitude of finishing techniques and its no telling what you are actually dealing with. 

Wear lines or cracks like what is typically seen in car seats don't appear in actual leather (maintained) unless it was present in the cow to begin with, at least to an extent. Leather is a natural product that will wear and patina. 

Think of things like saddles, boots, belts, holsters, etc... they'll last decades. Not very many modern 'leather' products in vehicles are going to accomplish that. 

In short the leather you hate is probably closer to faux leather than you might think. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, asilverblazer said:

Leather terminology is such a mess... the likely hood of anything in a vehicle being an actual intact piece of hide is slim. Maybe in a Mercedes, like an S class, Maybach, AMG or some other option, otherwise I would be very suspect... probably something like 'bonded' leather, 'Genuine' leather, etc. (My 2006 AMG S class 'leather' aged very well, I didn't feel the need to investigate further its actual leather type) Add in the multitude of finishing techniques and its no telling what you are actually dealing with. 

Wear lines or cracks like what is typically seen in car seats don't appear in actual leather (maintained) unless it was present in the cow to begin with, at least to an extent. Leather is a natural product that will wear and patina. 

Think of things like saddles, boots, belts, holsters, etc... they'll last decades. Not very many modern 'leather' products in vehicles are going to accomplish that. 

In short the leather you hate is probably closer to faux leather than you might think. 

I've only owned one vehicle that had the best leather that I've ever experienced.  It was a 2016 SRT Charger with Nappa leather.  That leather was amazing.  We owned it for 2.5 years and it looked good as new the day we bought it.  I would use a leather conditioner on it every 6 months.  It was amazing and was probably fake as hell too...lol...either way it looked great and was comfortable...

My wife’s leather seats in her 2011 Genesis still look great. She sits on a cushion maybe that’s why. Of course my fat a$$ sits on it once a week without a cushion. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

My wife’s leather seats in her 2011 Genesis still look great. She sits on a cushion maybe that’s why. Of course my fat a$$ sits on it once a week without a cushion. 

LMAO!!!  Too funny.  Not like mine is super skinny either....160lbs when I graduated highschool.  Maintained 180 until I hit 50 without even trying.  Metabolism just shut down at 50.  Now 220 at 56....must cut back on the beer...lol...It was fun while it lasted...🤣

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

LMAO!!!  Too funny.  Not like mine is super skinny either....160lbs when I graduated highschool.  Maintained 180 until I hit 50 without even trying.  Metabolism just shut down at 50.  Now 220 at 56....must cut back on the beer...lol...It was fun while it lasted...🤣

I was 170 lbs in high school. Married 6 months later gained 50lbs. My wife’s a great cook even at 16 years old. At 50 years old started WW lost 30 pounds and happy. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I was 170 lbs in high school. Married 6 months later gained 50lbs. My wife’s a great cook even at 16 years old. At 50 years old started WW lost 30 pounds and happy. 

Nice.  I need a pill for weight loss.  I'm too weak for WW or working out.  I was a runner for many years.  Got used to eating whatever I wanted to eat, which was total crap....beer....please lord don't tell me I have to give up beer.  It's like the best liquid ever made, along with jack Daniels....they really hate us don't they....lol....stupid beer and jack....bastards...

16 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Nice.  I need a pill for weight loss.  I'm too weak for WW or working out.  I was a runner for many years.  Got used to eating whatever I wanted to eat, which was total crap....beer....please lord don't tell me I have to give up beer.  It's like the best liquid ever made, along with jack Daniels....they really hate us don't they....lol....stupid beer and jack....bastards...

I eat pretty much the same just less. I just plain overate. Weigh watchers just identify the calories vs protein for me. A great guideline. I pretty much drink water and coffee. Soda was bad for me. I drank a lot of soda. My adult beverage is mostly flavored whisky in moderation. I walk everyday in the morning. And mild yard work. I never sit more than an hour I’ll lap my yard if nothing else. My old abused body only allows 4-7K steps a day. Before pain outweighs the benefit. I worked hard but have a blessed life. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KARNUT said:

I eat pretty much the same just less. I just plain overate. Weigh watchers just identify the calories vs protein for me. A great guideline. I pretty much drink water and coffee. Soda was bad for me. I drank a lot of soda. My adult beverage is mostly flavored whisky in moderation. I walk everyday in the morning. And mild yard work. I never sit more than an hour I’ll lap my yard if nothing else. My old abused body only allows 4-7K steps a day. Before pain outweighs the benefit. I worked hard but have a blessed life. 

I will say this, it sucks getting old but at least we are on the topside.  I've outlived most of my immediate family at 56.  So I'm appreciative everyday I wake up.  Here's to a good life and helping others of course!!  🍻

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 8:25 AM, Pryme said:

Let me know how it is. I’ve never sewn anything. That could be…..interesting. 

Funny story.  I grew up quite poor in Maine.  My mom was a seamstress that made dolls, blankets, mittens, you name it.  Yup at a very young age I could sew, make mittens, do crotchet.  Oh yeah....I was definitely a mans man back then.  lol....but I also had to run a chainsaw and a splitter to cut wood to heat our home.  So I was the odd one out so to speak... 

3 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

Funny story.  I grew up quite poor in Maine.  My mom was a seamstress that made dolls, blankets, mittens, you name it.  Yup at a very young age I could sew, make mittens, do crotchet.  Oh yeah....I was definitely a mans man back then.  lol....but I also had to run a chainsaw and a splitter to cut wood to heat our home.  So I was the odd one out so to speak... 

being well rounded is a good thing. 

• Like 1