Multipro Tailgate Working Backwards.

I just picked up this 2020 2500hd and its got a few glitches.

The Multipro tailgate isn't working correctly. 

1. It drops too quickly/heavily.  I replaced the right side bushing, which wasn't there at all, but it still isn't good.  What else helps with tailgate weight?

2. When I use the dash button tailgate release or the key fob button, it opens the small tailgate and not the whole thing.

Thoughts?

Under warranty?  Take it to a dealer. It sounds like the wire harness or a connector has reversed wires for the main and inner tailgate releases. GM should fix that clear manufacturing error even if it’s beyond warranty. Are the switches on the tailgate itself reversed?  (Upper switch should be inner tailgate.)

Edited by Another JR
Corrected button function

2 hours ago, Another JR said:

Under warranty?  Take it to a dealer. It sounds like the wire harness or a connector has reversed wires for the main and inner tailgate releases. GM should fix that clear manufacturing error even if it’s beyond warranty. Are the switches on the tailgate itself reversed?  (Upper switch should be main tailgate.)

Out of warranty.  Yes, the buttons are reversed.

I would think “You clearly built it wrong,” would trump calendar and miles, unless you or a previous owner modified that area. If the dealer won’t help try contacting the GM ombudsman, and copy your state attorney general’s office. “Warranty of merchantability” is the phrase you want to use repeatedly. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Another JR said:

Under warranty?  Take it to a dealer. It sounds like the wire harness or a connector has reversed wires for the main and inner tailgate releases. GM should fix that clear manufacturing error even if it’s beyond warranty. Are the switches on the tailgate itself reversed?  (Upper switch should be main tailgate.)

Odd. My upper button unlocks the small upper gate and the bottom button unlocks the main bottom gate.

My fob and the button in my truck both unlock the main gate only. (it does not open on it's own because the weight of my cover keeps it from opening without some manual intervention)

Edited by Dr1ft3r

8 hours ago, Wellarmedlamb said:

I just picked up this 2020 2500hd and its got a few glitches.

The Multipro tailgate isn't working correctly. 

1. It drops too quickly/heavily.  I replaced the right side bushing, which wasn't there at all, but it still isn't good.  What else helps with tailgate weight?

2. When I use the dash button tailgate release or the key fob button, it opens the small tailgate and not the whole thing.

Thoughts?

Opposite the bushing there is a dampener.  The dampener is what provides the resistance for the slow drop.  If that's no good and you've got a new bushing in the hinge, I'd replace the damper.  

As for the dash button, the center gate shouldn't be opening at all.  That button and the button on the fob when pressed should open the whole gate, mid gate stays locked.  Its either a wiring issue or the buttons are not in the correct locations in the tailgate handle bezel.  The correct order is the upper button is for the upper gate, the lower button is for the entire gate.  

2 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

Odd. My upper button unlocks the small upper gate and the bottom button unlocks the main bottom gate.

My fob and the button in my truck both unlock the main gate only. (it does not open on it's own because the weight of my cover keeps it from opening without some manual intervention)

My tailgate is in a crate because I have a camper installed, and my memory was incorrect. The owner’s manual confirms what you wrote, that the upper button on the tailgate is for the inner tailgate.  I’ll edit my previous message. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another JR said:

My tailgate is in a crate because I have a camper installed, and my memory was incorrect. The owner’s manual confirms what you wrote, that the upper button on the tailgate is for the inner tailgate.  I’ll edit my previous message. 

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if it was changed somewhere along the line or if they just installed some the wrong way.

Since the OP also has/had issues with their sensors I'm starting to think someone has messed with their wire harness and perhaps hooked it up wrong, or not at all in some cases. Maybe the previous owner had aftermarket bumpers and they put the stock bumpers back on before selling it, but messed up the wire harness connections.

2 hours ago, Dr1ft3r said:

Ah, ok. I wasn't sure if it was changed somewhere along the line or if they just installed some the wrong way.

Since the OP also has/had issues with their sensors I'm starting to think someone has messed with their wire harness and perhaps hooked it up wrong, or not at all in some cases. Maybe the previous owner had aftermarket bumpers and they put the stock bumpers back on before selling it, but messed up the wire harness connections.

I'm thinking you may be onto something with this.  I noticed today that while the bed itself is dirty and obviously had been used, the bedlined portion of the tailgate is brand new looking.  I'm wondering what was disassembled  / reassembled incorrectly.

I'll update after some investigating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wellarmedlamb said:

I noticed today that while the bed itself is dirty and obviously had been used, the bedlined portion of the tailgate is brand new looking.

My truck is just now 3 months old and my bedliner has some signs of use, as well as my tailgate liner and I've only been sliding ATV ramps, plastic gas cans and plastic totes in and out of my bed. I would have to actively try to slide things in and out of the bed without ever touching the tailgate liner. I'm certain that they had the tailgate off for some reason.

1 hour ago, Wellarmedlamb said:

The latches were both reversed (auxiliary gate latches used on main gate and vice versa) and on the wrong sides of the gate.

It works perfectly now.

Thanks for your insights, guys.

Awesome! Did you get your sensors figured out?

Not yet.  I briefly crawled under the back of the truck last night and saw that almost none of the harness clips are clipped in place inside the bumper and also, there is a small module that is just lying on top of the spare tire.  Obviously someone had that bumper off and didn't feel like reinstalling everything properly.  I was going to drop the spare tire and take a look but the spare tire/tire iron kit isn't there.  I'm going to borrow one tomorrow.

The combination of the parking sensors, blind spot sensors and tailgate malfunction had me really concerned that the wiring was screwed up back there but now I'm hoping something is just unhooked.

30 minutes ago, Wellarmedlamb said:

Not yet.  I briefly crawled under the back of the truck last night and saw that almost none of the harness clips are clipped in place inside the bumper and also, there is a small module that is just lying on top of the spare tire.  Obviously someone had that bumper off and didn't feel like reinstalling everything properly.  I was going to drop the spare tire and take a look but the spare tire/tire iron kit isn't there.  I'm going to borrow one tomorrow.

The combination of the parking sensors, blind spot sensors and tailgate malfunction had me really concerned that the wiring was screwed up back there but now I'm hoping something is just unhooked.

If that module which you found on the spare tire is black and about 3" x 4" (maybe bigger or smaller, but rectangular) with a curved face then that would be a blind spot monitor. Not having it hooked up will certainly cause the system not to work.

13 minutes ago, Dr1ft3r said:

If that module which you found on the spare tire is black and about 3" x 4" (maybe bigger or smaller, but rectangular) with a curved face then that would be a blind spot monitor. Not having it hooked up will certainly cause the system not to work.

Good info.  It is hooked up but not clipped into its bracket.  It has 2 plugs.