Banks Derringer on 2024?

Just got my 2024 Denali Ultimate yesterday. 

just curious if anyone knows if its ok to run the derringer from my 2020 on the new truck?

when the 2020 came out i know several people had no issues on what was the new 2020 from a previous gen duramax

from what i know i am pretty sure the idash can read the obd2 just fine.

and from what i understand the derringer basically lies to the ecu changing the fuel rail pressure value and the manifold pressure data so basically the truck wont really know it is there.

i can already tell the new L5P has a significant sharper kick in boost once it kicks in. still has the same turbo lag through most of 2nd gear but once it shifts to 3rd it hits pretty hard and abruptly. i feel like this is due to the revised faster vane servo and added HP

i cannot imagine what the derringer will add to that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/29/2023 at 7:22 AM, madweazl said:

I contacted Banks a couple months and asked about the Deringer and exhaust. The reply stated 4-6 weeks at that time but neither is available yet. They did say both were different and wouldn't work on the '24s. 

Jay from Banks here. Here's a little backstory on what it will take to get the Derringer, Ram-Air Intake, and Monster-Exhaust to market. The moral of the story is to be wary of any manufacturer that rushes 2024 DMAX parts to market. The only way they can get by GM's tighter tolerances is to stay within stock parameters. Once they attempt to add air mass on the intake side or decrease backpressure in the exhaust, they'll set check engine lights.

I posted the following a few months ago when we had a '24 GMC on the dyno. 

The 2024 Duramax Ram-Air Intake System is in development but it's going to take our best and brightest. As 2020-'23 L5P owners have learned, the MAF sensor is far more sensitive than previous generations of the Duramax. Any deviation in the cross-sectional area at the MAF sensor will cause a check engine light. In other words, aftermarket intake manufacturers cannot alter airflow characteristics from stock. This new sensor also detects differences in air pressure. If an intake manufacturer replaces the stock filter with a freer flowing element, the pressure in the intake tube increases. The sensor transmits this data to the ECM which interprets it as a hole in the filter or that the filter is so clogged that it taco’d (bent) and air is circumventing it. Again, in their attempts to improve airflow by reducing restrictions, intake manufacturers will cause a check engine light. 

We solved these issues with Banks’ patented Air Mass Control Module which is included with the Ram-Air intake system for 2020-23 Duramax trucks and will soon accompany the intake system for the 2023 Ford 6.7L. The Air Mass Control module alters the sensor’s data before it reaches the truck’s ECM. This allows us to greatly enlarge the cross-sectional area at the MAF sensor and increase the pressure with a Big-Ass filter without causing a check engine light. This allows us to design the largest free-flowing intake tube. One look and you’ll see just how massive the new SuperTube is. This increases "gulp capacity." Think of it like a capacitor. When the turbo needs a quick hit of high-density air, it's in the tube ready to go. 

However, the 2024 Duramax now presents a new challenge! The MAF sensor doesn’t just transmit mass air flow data in the form of an analog signal. There is a new digital signal in parallel with the analog signal. In order for our new Air Mass Control Module to deliver increased air mass to the turbo, it must now also decipher, manipulate, and broadcast this new digital signal to the ECM. This endeavor further illustrates how Banks wins over other intake brands who simply design air boxes with little or no engineering selling engine dress-up parts that add nothing more than aesthetics. Moving into 2024, it’s clear that without highly skilled electrical engineering teams, intake manufacturers will continue to sell stock airflow while Banks continues to deliver real performance gains. 

Our patented Ram-Air rear differential covers and Boost Tube Upgrade systems are now available for the 2024! While you're on bankspower.com, sign up to be notified before we open the Derringer tuner and Ram-Air intake pre-sales. https://bnks.pw/3mFXF1M

Happy to answer any questions here or via email at jtilles at bankspower dot com. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Rototerrier said:

Is this ever happening?

Jay from Banks here.

The Ram-Air Intake and Derringer tuner are coming along nicely. In fact, we have two Silverados and two GMC Denali Ultimates driving around SoCal beta testing the Ram-Air Intake System with Air Mass Control Module. We are doing everything we can to release it to the public before the holidays. Keep in mind, Duramax is our core market so these products are the utmost priority. And, we can't stand seeing S&B selling intakes for the 2024 when we know they add little or no performance gain because they're forced to keep the cross-sectional area at the MAF sensor stock size. This means the air mass is still stock entering the turbo's compressor inlet. 

The Derringer tuner, as stated in the thread above, is all new for the 2024 truck. Everything had to be updated; circuit board, hardware, firmware, pins, connectors, etc. Lead times on new circuit boards can be months. And, custom plastic connectors to mate with GM's connectors, can take even longer because molds have to be made. GM doesn't share the CAD files with us or anyone. So, if we want a connector to mate with theirs, we have to make our own from scratch, which we did. Like the Ram-Air intake, we have a few trucks currently on the road testing the new hardware and firmware. Although we do not have an ETA, it's all hands on deck to get this to market ASAP. 

IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6038.jpg

• Like 1

It's really awesome to see Banks so actively engaged here and involved, with meaningful updates and information.  I'll be grabbing this the second it's available and I'm excited for all these updates, and really appreciate it.

Tying off on all that, do we have any rough estimates of what to expect from the intake and the tuner?  The older LP5 saw pretty good gains, +81hp and +144lbft.  Does the new LP5 with the new intake and Derringer look to have similar gains? Better?

1 hour ago, AustinQuattro said:

It's really awesome to see Banks so actively engaged here and involved, with meaningful updates and information.  I'll be grabbing this the second it's available and I'm excited for all these updates, and really appreciate it.

Tying off on all that, do we have any rough estimates of what to expect from the intake and the tuner?  The older LP5 saw pretty good gains, +81hp and +144lbft.  Does the new LP5 with the new intake and Derringer look to have similar gains? Better?

Although our engineers are keeping the power numbers close to the vest, I suspect we'll see more power than we did in the previous generation of L5P. As GM improves the engine's thermodynamics, it gives us more headroom to work within. 

• Like 3

On 10/6/2023 at 4:24 PM, TurboTime said:

Although our engineers are keeping the power numbers close to the vest, I suspect we'll see more power than we did in the previous generation of L5P. As GM improves the engine's thermodynamics, it gives us more headroom to work within. 

Fair enough.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for something around 600hp/1200lbft.  Just don't want those fools in the new SuperDuty with the High Output powerstroke getting the best of me (Power-wise.  I'm stuck in a new F-150 rental right now while my new truck gets hail damage repaired, and the interior and driving experience SUCKS).  Hahaha

Edited by AustinQuattro

Having come from a 22 with the 6.7 into a 24 gmc, i don’t envy Ford guys at all. To me, the super duty has only the powerstroke going for it. The rest of the truck is just cheap plastic inside a flimsy aluminum can. I absolutely hated everything about my 22 king ranch except the power of the 6.7. 

i much prefer the premium interior of the 24 Denali as well as the superior ride quality. 

If i could shove the powerstroke in my denali drw I’d have the perfect truck! Hoping the derringer gets me close. Looking forward to it. 

• 4 months later...
On 10/6/2023 at 4:24 PM, TurboTime said:

Getting any closer?

41 minutes ago, AustinQuattro said:

Getting any closer?

Yes, we sure are. We have Test Pilots evaluating the tuner right now. We hope to make an announcement in the next few weeks about its launch. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2024 at 3:05 PM, TurboTime said:

Yes, we sure are. We have Test Pilots evaluating the tuner right now. We hope to make an announcement in the next few weeks about its launch. 

If you need any test pilots running your products in harsh conditions hauling a heavy payload let me know. I'm hauling a truck camper and towing toys up here in Alaska with a '24 Duramax, would be happy to help. 🤣

Edited by A Chap