Center Console Light Stuck On

I have a 2023 Silverado RST with the center console (bucket seats). I noticed yesterday that the light inside the console storage compartment stays on all the time, even with the truck parked and turned off in the daytime.

I've owned the truck since the end of January and have never noticed this before, and I'm assuming it's not normal behavior.

Can anyone else verify that the light is not on all the time in their truck (I'm assuming there's a switch in the lid hinge mechanism), and if it is controlled by a switch in the lid, does anyone know how to disassemble the console to access the switch? I'd rather not have to take my truck to the dealership to deal with this if it's something I can easily check myself.

If it needs a new switch, I'll take it in for a warranty claim, but if something just came loose or is out of adjustment, I'd just as soon fix it myself.

I have a 2021 custom, older truck but I intalled the same console you have into my truck (mine came with center jump seat). At the back center of the console under the armrest is the light switch. When the armrest/cover is closed it pushes in on the switch and opens the circuit to turn the light off. When the armrest/cover is opened it releases the switch to complete the circuit and turns the light on. Lid open light on. Lid closed light off. This sounds like a shorted light switch witch seems very unusual to me. If you dont want to test and/or replace the switch you will need to take it in.

Thanks, Bikerjon. That answers my question as to whether there's a switch. I'll probably take it apart myself to see what the issue is, and if it requires any parts, I'll likely just schedule it for a warranty repair so I don't have to pay for them.

I took the back of my console apart to where I can see the entire lid hinge mechanism and wiring for the light, rear USB ports, etc. I don't see any kind of switch or place where the lid hinge mechanism would contact a switch, and no wiring except the terminations to the light, rear USB ports, and keyless entry antenna.

There is no wiring going into the console lid, either. If there's a switch, it would have to be at the front of the console where the lid latch is, and would have to be actuated by the latch points of the lid. I see no sign of anything in the holes in the console where the lid latches.

Any other thoughts? I guess I might have to call the dealership. I'm starting to wonder if this light is working as designed and/or has been on the entire time I've owned the truck, and maybe I just never noticed it until recently.

Post pics of your console and a pic of the console with the armrest/lid open. There should be a switch at the back of the console right by the hinge. Mine looks like you can just pry the switch out to test. The inner console light should shut off when the lid is closed. Chevy would never make a console light that stays on all the time.

Unfortunately I don't have any photos of the console/lid from the outside right now, and won't be back to my truck until the end of the week as I'm working out of town.

I attached two photos of the wiring on the inside of the console that I took when I had it apart over the weekend. One photo has the light circled in red. You may not be able to see clearly from the photos, but the wiring harness that comes back there terminates at only the locations that I mentioned in my previous post, then runs down to the floor / bottom of the console. There's no wiring that goes anywhere to the lid or hinges.

I'll post pictures of the console at the end of the week when I get back. In the meantime, I appreciate you taking the time to try and help!

PXL_20230603_142351175~2-01.jpeg

PXL_20230603_142401619-01.jpeg

Here are photos of the console from the outside and with the lid open, showing where the light is.

As a followup, I stopped at the dealership this morning and asked the service advisor about this. He didn't know, but went to talk to one of the techs; he supposedly talked to one of the truck techs. The advisor told me that he started to ask the tech about it, and as soon as he mentioned the light in the storage compartment, the tech cut him off and completed his sentence, assuming that I was asking about the light staying on all the time. The tech claims that's the way they all are, and that the light just stays on all the time until the timeout after the truck is shut off.

Seems ridiculous that they would engineer the thing without a switch for the light, but that's the answer I got from the dealership, for what it's worth.

PXL_20230610_172224296-01.jpeg

PXL_20230610_172241657-01.jpeg

PXL_20230610_172339428-01.jpeg

Sorry to say your console is slightly different than mine. I can see from your pic that you have no switch between the hinges on the armrest/cover where mine has a switch.  I agree that its ridiculous that thereis no switch to turn the light off. Apparently Chevrolet is using the Retained Accesory Power (RAP) circuit to time out the light so the light would stay on all the time that the ignition is on.

Yeah, I'm surprised it took me like 4 months to notice it, but now I can't unsee it every time I'm inside or outside my truck when it's dark.

Anyway, thanks again for your replies!

14 hours ago, SnakNest said:

Yeah, I'm surprised it took me like 4 months to notice it, but now I can't unsee it every time I'm inside or outside my truck when it's dark.

Anyway, thanks again for your replies!

RAP doesn't shut your console light off when it shuts off most other things?

No, RAP does not shut the console light off. It stays on even after the ignition is off and the driver's door is opened. Eventually it goes out - I believe on the battery protection time-out, the same way as if you left other lights on (like if you left headlights or interior lights on by accident).

I'm wondering if maybe this is a glitch from one of the recent software updates. Like I said, it's really easy to see from outside the truck when it's dark (the light shines through the console opening where the wireless charging pad is and illuminates the shifter / cupholder area), and I have a hard time believing that I never noticed this until a few weeks ago.

On 6/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, SnakNest said:

No, RAP does not shut the console light off. It stays on even after the ignition is off and the driver's door is opened. Eventually it goes out - I believe on the battery protection time-out, the same way as if you left other lights on (like if you left headlights or interior lights on by accident).

I'm wondering if maybe this is a glitch from one of the recent software updates. Like I said, it's really easy to see from outside the truck when it's dark (the light shines through the console opening where the wireless charging pad is and illuminates the shifter / cupholder area), and I have a hard time believing that I never noticed this until a few weeks ago.

I discovered the same thing, drove me nuts thinking that it was on all the time. I did some observation to see if it would turn off, well it does turn off somewhere between 30 minutes to an hour. I lost track of the exact time but that's where my testing ended.