No 12v Power Outlets

7 hours ago, UWSkier said:

I ordered the 7 way to 12v socket adapter.  Will try that out and report back.  I know it doesn't work on the newer Fords with the smart plugs back there.  The new GMs are also smart somehow as in they know when a trailer is attached.

The bumper 7-way has a live 12 volt circuit. I rigged up 3 of these for my trucks to backfeed a battery maintainer during the winter months when 1 or 2 might set for a month at a time.

20230628_162527.thumb.jpg.8b9d1d02e8f1e07f6458fad434ec8349.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gemarsh said:

The bumper 7-way has a live 12 volt circuit. I rigged up 3 of these for my trucks to backfeed a battery maintainer during the winter months when 1 or 2 might set for a month at a time.

20230628_162527.thumb.jpg.8b9d1d02e8f1e07f6458fad434ec8349.jpg

2 hours ago, Kerry Pulaski said:

Great idea for an easier battery maintainer hookup.  Had  heck of a time getting to the Neg. Ground stud behind battery at firewall, to hook up my maintainer cable.

I ran my maintainer wire right to the nut on the neg top post. Been working fine. 

19 hours ago, Kerry Pulaski said:

I have a 7 way to Cigar socket adapter I saved for my new '24 HD, did not put on my temp '18 1500. Going to do it as a test, to see if the 7 Way still has the 12v. with the Ign. key OFF.

Perhaps newer GM's "time out" as a battery saver.

I did NOT know until today, ALL the 12v. cabin outlets are deleted  !! I saw the GM 1-'22 bulletin posted here. This is really a bunch of "Horse & Cow Pies".  Really ???

FN rediculous. Now I'll have to hide a dual socket cigar lighter in the Denali console somewhere, and another in the console area facing the rear seat.

The truck always has been my mobile office. Always have things charging.  New '23-'24  Re-located cell phone charger under center armrest is better, but cannot see it. More distracted driving ?

I made a metal bracket to wedge between the console upper  intersection to the lower dash for my '16 then '18, for the phone suction cup / charger. In plain sight all the time.

Will not work with the re-fresh dash design.

Option.....a Weathertech Cup Holder Cell phone mount, or I'll design and make my own again.

Love the style of the new design dash, but now finding it's limitations.  The elimination of 12v. ports has my blood boiling, for a $$$$ truck.

That's what prompted me to start this thread too!  These trucks are supposed to be utility platforms.  Why remove a utility feature that's so frequently used by guys who actually use their trucks?  If they wanted to save $, I'd rather they cut down on the amount of useless sheet metal they put on these things to make them obnoxiously oversized.  I'm 6'5" and have a hard time reaching things in the bed or under the hood that I shouldn't have issues with...

Only other comment I'd make, on the distracted driving thing, if you're like me and use Android Auto, there's zero reason to ever look at a phone screen while driving.  The new screens especially make this the case.  I like the wireless charging where I can't see my phone.

Edited by UWSkier

I KNEW I HAD YEARS AGO,  A MALE CIGAR LIGHTER PLUG TO A 12v. "BINDING POST" & "BANANA PLUG" ADAPTER.

WHERE YOU CAN SLIP WIRE UNDER THE POST AND SCREW DOWN, OR USE A BANANA PLUG USED IN THE ELECTRONICS AND MUSIC INDUSTRY, TI INSERT IN THE END.

MY SEARCH FROM ALL RV AND TOWING SUPPLIERS AND MFG'S N/G.  THEN REMEMBERED I PURCHASE A LOT OF STUFF FROM JAN ELECTRONINCS, THAT SUPPLIES THE LOCAL PFIZER PHARMACEUTICAL AND GENERAL DYNAMICS / ELECTRIC BOAT FACILITY BUILDING OUR NAVY SUBS.

FOUND IT !!  MADE BY PHILMORE / LG CORP.  P/N 48521.

FYI JUST GOT A TWO POST 12v.  CIGAR LIGHTER RECPT. FROM O'REILLYS, TO MOUNT INSIDE MY '24 HD ARM REST CONSOLE BOX, WHEN TRUCK ARRIVES. 

JUST LOOKED A '24 GMC AT4X TODAY, THE 115v. RECPT. IS INSIDE THE CONSOLE ARM REST BOX NOW.

12v. LIGHTER PLUG MALE TO BINDING POSTS LKG IND..png

21 hours ago, UWSkier said:

That's what prompted me to start this thread too!  These trucks are supposed to be utility platforms.  Why remove a utility feature that's so frequently used by guys who actually use their trucks?  If they wanted to save $, I'd rather they cut down on the amount of useless sheet metal they put on these things to make them obnoxiously oversized.  I'm 6'5" and have a hard time reaching things in the bed or under the hood that I shouldn't have issues with...

Only other comment I'd make, on the distracted driving thing, if you're like me and use Android Auto, there's zero reason to ever look at a phone screen while driving.  The new screens especially make this the case.  I like the wireless charging where I can't see my phone.

Thanks  !!  Point well taken on phone app. and Android Auto.  At my dealer yesterday, they have a '24 AT4X, I got the keys and got her running to see the  Android app first hand with my phone in the charger armrest. Yes very handy. But Could not get my Weather Channel app to display on that screen so far in this quick evaluation. I travel extensively for work, so will try to get that app on the GM screen after I have my truck. My '24 said is now loaded on a rail car in Flint, bound for a Jersey dispatch yard. Yea !!

Suggestion for bed access for tools etc. Attaching a pic of my '16 HD , with a "Cargo Glide" slide out. Got  this for my bad knees, to not crawl into the bed for tools etc. 2016 GMC 2500-HD PULASKI AT SHOP OIL CHANGE.pdf2016 GMC 2500-HD PULASKI AT SHOP OIL CHANGE.pdfSeveral different brands out there, and also ones with weather-tite compartments, for those with no cap or tonneau . PDF pic for the slide out is named '16 oil change at shop.

12v. Dual Power Outlet 10242 O'Reilly Auto Parts.png

Here is a better pic of the Bed Slide out I got in '16. Transfer to my '24 very soon.  These come in Aluminum or steel. Full or partial extension, and weight capacity. This one steel, full extension, and 2500 lb. capacity.

2016 GMC HD & CARGO GLIDE SLIDE OUT..jpg

Ordered the 7-way to dual 12v plug and happy to report it works with the ignition off.  This will satisfy the 12v inflator use case.  Doesn't solve for those needing higher-amp 12v in the cab but it's better than nothing.

Adding 12v. in the Cab,  fairly  easy, Fuse "Add-A-Circuits",  from "Littllefuse" and Bussmann".  Napa should have these as well. Most of these fuses in the left & right Dash are the "Micro" not "Mini" size.

To go the Full Monty.....the 9L7 Upfitter Dash kit is still not available , for the '23/'24  "re-freshed" dash design.  This gives the 5 Aux. switches, wire harnesses, fuse block, and dash panel with the cut out for switch block assy.

One dealer build & price site, the '24 HD can be factory ordered with the 9L7 option, but is blocked out for Denali etc.

I'll add this GM Upfitter Bulletin #153e, dated 6-2-23 FYI. Has the kit #'s. I ordered the GM kit # 84942074, says for push button Ignition. Molded dash lower pad is  still for Pre-Refresh dash design.

Also Upfitter Bulletin #153p, dated 6-26-23, regarding Rearview Camera, for those that tow & have a cap or camper on the bed, info may help. Will have to send in another post. Think I'm at the file size limit.

LITTELFUSE  ADD ON FOR GM IS A MICRO #FHM20200ZPA NOT MINI.jpg

BUSSMANN ADD-A-CIRCUIT 2-10A.jpg

LITTELFUSE MINI & MICRO ADD-A-FUSE LITTERATURE '23.pdf GM 9L7 UPFITTER SWITCH_UI-Bulletin-153e_6-2-23.pdf

• 5 months later...

I know it’s an older post but put together a 7 way trailer plug for charging. I have two Battery Tender Jr’s and one Battery Tender Plus. I only ever use two of them at a time and used the ring lug connections. 

I took one of the three alligator clamps that I wasn’t using and cut it below the fuse holder. Used a Hopkins 7 way trailer plug from WW. Put it together and works good with my 2018 1500 with 2 of the maintainers. Don’t have a pic but looks like the one gemarsh posted.

Will work on getting a 12v outlet in the cab whenever my AT4 HD arrives.

Edit: Added pics. 

433CE86B-0EE4-4EB6-B862-2988B912E2E2.jpeg

78F59AB5-A914-452B-ACBC-8517A0F8F304.jpeg

Edited by rjgvt
  • Like 1