2019 Sierra Elevation 5.3 Total loss of power steering

Hello community!

2019 GMC Sierra Elevation 5.3 with 44000 miles/70000km

Had a day where the power assisted steering was 'notchy'...its the best word i can think of...you could tell that the power assist was going in and out rapidly. No messages on the dash.

Next day, upon returning to my vehicle after leaving it in a airport parking lot for 3 days, all power assist is gone! Needless to say it took every ounce of strength i had to maneuverer this mammoth out of that multi level parking lot and home!

Dash now displays the message, 'service power steering. No assist soon'. Well, there definitely is no assist anymore.  I connected a scan tool and the only thing that popped up was P12A6- Fuel Pump Driver Control Module Enable Circuit Performance.

I Find it odd that the obd tool is not picking up any other codes given the dash board message re power steering.

Unlike what i have been reading about other models/years with similar problem, this one is NOT accompanied by a service ESC message....its ONLY the power steering.

Anyone else encounter this?

35 minutes ago, dabozo said:

Hello community!

2019 GMC Sierra Elevation 5.3 with 44000 miles/70000km

Had a day where the power assisted steering was 'notchy'...its the best word i can think of...you could tell that the power assist was going in and out rapidly. No messages on the dash.

Next day, upon returning to my vehicle after leaving it in a airport parking lot for 3 days, all power assist is gone! Needless to say it took every ounce of strength i had to maneuverer this mammoth out of that multi level parking lot and home!

Dash now displays the message, 'service power steering. No assist soon'. Well, there definitely is no assist anymore.  I connected a scan tool and the only thing that popped up was P12A6- Fuel Pump Driver Control Module Enable Circuit Performance.

I Find it odd that the obd tool is not picking up any other codes given the dash board message re power steering.

Unlike what i have been reading about other models/years with similar problem, this one is NOT accompanied by a service ESC message....its ONLY the power steering.

Anyone else encounter this?

Bad ground strap.  Pull the right front wheel liner out at the fender side, you will see a ground strap that runs from the firewall to the frame near the RF body mount.  Its either about to break or is broken.  84498265 is the replacement part from GM.  We've probably replaced 5 of them now so far the last year or so.  

South Main Auto on Youtube did a GREAT diagnostics that led him to that cable (independent owned auto shop).  Multiple modules somewhere have a ground circuit that must go to it and when it fails, you get the jerky steering among other problems.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report that the above $30 fix has resolved the issue! Big thanks to you newdude! 

old ground strap was completely corroded. was barely in tact! Shielded by the well wheel liner but completely exposed from underneath...it was the connection beneath the vehicle (not seen in my pics) that was frayed...

IMG-3176.jpg

IMG-3182.jpg

IMG-3175.jpg

IMG-3180.jpg

IMG-3179.jpg

• Like 4

I would replace that with a plastic-coated ground cable and use a corrosion inhibitor on ends. 

Braided strap down there is doomed from the start. 

I just coated that strap on my '23 with some CRC corrosion inhibiter and will make it my yearly fall prep thing to do and check as I'm in a salt zone.

Edited by repairman54
  • Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 9:57 AM, repairman54 said:

I would replace that with a plastic-coated ground cable and use a corrosion inhibitor on ends. 

Braided strap down there is doomed from the start. 

I just coated that strap on my '23 with some CRC corrosion inhibiter and will make it my yearly fall prep thing to do and check as I'm in a salt zone.

yep...salt zone as well...have coated it as well. Although, like you said, a plastic coated cable would be ideal.

• 8 months later...
23 minutes ago, Willains said:

Having same issue with sporadic power steering failure and service ESC warning. I replaced cable which was very corroded but issue was not resolved. I took to dealer who said it was faulty rack and that rack is on national backorder. Help please

Did you check all the other ground straps out?  

READ HERE - MC-10247361-9999.pdf (nhtsa.gov)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I replaced/upgraded 2 of the 3 straps based on some weird codes i was getting (none of the codes on the PIT).

Added a wire from the battery to engine. the battery ground goes to the body, there are 2 other straps that go from the body to the frame and engine. All 4 gage wire, solder ends. 

I saw South Main Auto channel video and was happy that i made these upgrades. 

Edited by BlancoSilverado