Let's talk ceramic coatings

4 hours ago, shudog said:

Was set on Armor Shield but a lot of reviews said it didn't last.

Just to let you know, I used Armor Shield and got about 4 years out of it before I reapplied and it was still beading well and looking very glossy.  Always get comments that my truck looks "brand new".  Saw the same on both vehicles.  I will say, my cars are always garaged so that would obviously help.

1 hour ago, J2Jones said:

Just to let you know, I used Armor Shield and got about 4 years out of it before I reapplied and it was still beading well and looking very glossy.  Always get comments that my truck looks "brand new".  Saw the same on both vehicles.  I will say, my cars are always garaged so that would obviously help.

Thanks.  I'm sure they are all top notch.  I just bought a kit from Adams polishes - prep spray, Advanced Graphene, and boost spray along with towels & applicator.  I'll be busy in the garage this weekend!  

I'm probably not going to do the wheels & grill with the ceramic.  I wash my vehicle regularly and clean those areas, it just seems like getting the ceramic coating on those detailed spots evenly and wiped off, would be a major hassle.  I typically just hit them with spray wax every other wash and keep them clean.  We'll see.  I'll probably be burned out on this halfway in...!!!

21 hours ago, shudog said:

Thanks.  I'm sure they are all top notch.  I just bought a kit from Adams polishes - prep spray, Advanced Graphene, and boost spray along with towels & applicator.  I'll be busy in the garage this weekend!  

I'm probably not going to do the wheels & grill with the ceramic.  I wash my vehicle regularly and clean those areas, it just seems like getting the ceramic coating on those detailed spots evenly and wiped off, would be a major hassle.  I typically just hit them with spray wax every other wash and keep them clean.  We'll see.  I'll probably be burned out on this halfway in...!!!

Naw! You wont get burnt out. Not if you wash it regularly. I found it hard to get an even looking finish on chrome, so i didnt the grille or the front bumper. Always said i was gunna sometime but never have. It would be nice for the bugs in summer though if you live in a place where those are abundant!

Ran out at lunch to get some supplies for this project.  Bought some spray wax for the grille and wheels (too detailed to do full ceramic), some clay bar, and big soft microfiber towels.  $60.  Dang.  I really didn't need the claybar, I already have one but it's kinda dirty.  THey only sold a 3 pack for $30.  What a ripoff.  The spray wax was $16.  Towels were cheap for a 3 pack at $9.99

Adding some details here for those who may be interested in doing this themselves.

Last night I got started in the garage.  Gave the truck a really thorough wash last night, took close to an hour.  Paid extra attention to the wheel wells, bumpers, glass, mirrors and running boards.  

truckwash.jpg.d0057ffb29ffff6343cd32939178f070.jpg

Also ran back over everything with clay bar.  It barely picked up any grit at all, maybe a bit around the wheel wells.

claybar.jpg.b6fcf70b5efba3884a0b8aaaa69eb194.jpg

I debated whether or not a light polish was necessary.  The truck only has 2,500 miles on it.  Paint is in excellent condition as you can see.  I think I'm still going to hit it tonight.  I have a Porter Cable random orbital buffer I'll use with the Meguiars polish, has a very light polishing effect.  This is more to remove the existing coat of wax.  There are a few small light scratches I could see, walking around the truck with a work light.  This should knock those down, remove the existing wax and hopefully be ready to start the ceramic coating tomorrow.  polish.jpg.637316b674390cfe4e41a6bf063969ff.jpg

• Like 1

also, I plugged in dehumidifier in the garage last night since it was wet from washing.  Should have the humidity down to 50% by the time I start polishing tonight, will make it easier on and off with less buffing.

doorshine.jpg.3986063ef8944fa2c5512593077f9a03.jpg

• Like 1

I picked up on this project again today.  Been sitting since Thurs night.  Got all my supplies from Adams.  Worked with the porter cable random orbital buffer and Meguiars polish which is very light for very light scuffs and overall cleaning, not any sort of real cut for deep scratches or swirls but truck is new so that's cool.  Spent about 3 hrs to get it right.  Ended up going over a few areas twice and spent longer than I should've making sure everything was buffed off after, kinda hard in the garage even with bright LED's and a couple work lights.  I wouldn't have spent as much time but knowing this job should last a few years, I was willing to spend the extra time.

Overall very happy.  Ready to hit it with the prep spray in the morning and lay down the Ceramic.  hoping that only takes about 1.5 more hours.   Tailgate shine is insane.  

adams kit.jpg

gate shine.jpg

hood polish.jpg

side shine.jpg

Edited by shudog
  • Like 2

Finished up this morning.  Started at 9am, gave the truck a quick wipedown with the prep spray.  Took 15 mins.  Started on the hood and did it in 4 or 5 sections, taking my time, overlapping each section and applying left-right then up-down to get full coverage.  Took about 1.5 hrs to do all the truck panels.  Did not do the grille, glass or wheels with the deramic coating.  Had to go back and touch up a few areas.  Took a long time on the roof.  That is a big piece of area.  Took another 30 mins to do a spray wax on the wheels and grill, then I hit the running boards again.  

A few things - Id probably not do this if my truck wasn't black and if I was able to park inside and do regular hand washing.  It takes a lot.  But having this coating on shoujld allow the truck to stay cleaner much longer and I won't introduce scratches with routine washing & dry.  

The Adams product goes on easy and wipes off easy.  I had a few spots I missed wiping off that I caught after i pulled it outside.  Just reapply the coating with the applicator and wipe it clean.  Easy.

I really like that this stuff can be appleid to glass, plastic, trim etc.  It really makes the top of the bed rail, mirrors, running boards etc look good.

The overall slickness is very good but maybe not as good as a full carnuba wax  But obviously that only lasts a few months.

I applied the product pretty heavily and still have over half a bottle.  So overall I'd give the Adams product a thumbs up. 

Now we'll see how well it lasts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I realize the grill and bumper are pretty detailed, but the benefit is worth it.  I had mine done professionally with Opti-Coat Pro+, and the wheels were done as well.  Bugs are easier to remove from the grill and the wheels clean easily.  Washing for me is generally ONR and an occasional M wash from Optimum.  I have the Power Wash, and will do that and a iron removal after the winter.

7 hours ago, SPASierra said:

I realize the grill and bumper are pretty detailed, but the benefit is worth it.  I had mine done professionally with Opti-Coat Pro+, and the wheels were done as well.  Bugs are easier to remove from the grill and the wheels clean easily.  Washing for me is generally ONR and an occasional M wash from Optimum.  I have the Power Wash, and will do that and a iron removal after the winter.

I did the ceramic coating on the bumper.  For the grille and wheels I used some turtle wax ceramic spray.  The grill will always be getting touched up regardless if I ceramic coated it or not.  The wheels are like mirrors.  I'll do a simple spray and upkeep on them every few months when I'm washing.  It's quick and easy, took 15 mins to do all 4 wheels and the grill

after shine.jpg

Edited by shudog
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it's been 2 weeks now since I coated my truck.  Had a bunch of snow this weekend and lots of salt on the roads.  Took out my hose yesterday and just sprayed the truck down, no soap, no sponge, nothing.  looks freshly washed.  

• Like 3

Thanks for making this post OP! I've been shopping quotes for my sports-car for ceramic and I'm seeing like $1000-1600 for ceramic on the sports-car. Thought about doing it on my Sierra, but I truly don't wanna spend that kind of dough. I wash mine often, touchless. 

1 hour ago, ARedSierra said:

Thanks for making this post OP! I've been shopping quotes for my sports-car for ceramic and I'm seeing like $1000-1600 for ceramic on the sports-car. Thought about doing it on my Sierra, but I truly don't wanna spend that kind of dough. I wash mine often, touchless. 

you can do it yourself.  The actual coating process is the easiest part, more so than washing and claybar.  The polishing is not hard, just takes time to get it done right.  Buy a good random orbital polisher, I have a Porter Cable that works great.  Take your time, watch videos.  Prep is everything.  If you can spread it out over a long weekend like I did, you'll be a happy camper.  I might've mentioned already but the tiny bottle I got with the kit from Adams, I still have over half the bottle left.  Also have Graph Boost shampoo car wash, Graphene Boost spray and their "SC3" which is probably just a quick detailer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

been a couple months now since I did this.  Did a handwash this weekend in the garage using the Adams Graphene Boost car wash product.  Extremely pleased.  Washing with this stuff is incredibly "slick" with the suds lubricant, end result the paint comes cleaner with much less effort, rinsing with those leaves a near spotless finish and drying is a breeze.  The areas of plastics that I applied the ceramic coating to also look great still - the wheel well deflectors. the top of the bed rail and the steps...  still clean, looking good.

• Like 2