DSSV install

I'm installing DSSV on my '23 RST z71

I know on the front I need the trailboss/ZR2 upper control arm

On the rear I'm pretty sure I need blocks - does anyone know what size I'd need to keep the same rake I have now?

4 hours ago, 23RST said:

I'm installing DSSV on my '23 RST z71

I know on the front I need the trailboss/ZR2 upper control arm

On the rear I'm pretty sure I need blocks - does anyone know what size I'd need to keep the same rake I have now?

You need the 2 inch factory lift kit.  The DSSVs are required to have that installed before installing the DSSVs, so either the 2 inch kit has to be added or its got to be factory installed (Trail Boss, AT4).  

sussss.png

• Sad 1

The shocks and struts are 2” taller than stock. The struts make the front 2” taller by themselves.

You NEED nothing from the GM TB/AT4 kit. Just 2” taller rear blocks and u bolts. 

Even the CV shafts are optional. Lots of us with 2” lifts are still on stock shafts without issue. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AJMBLAZER said:

The shocks and struts are 2” taller than stock. The struts make the front 2” taller by themselves.

You NEED nothing from the GM TB/AT4 kit. Just 2” taller rear blocks and u bolts. 

Even the CV shafts are optional. Lots of us with 2” lifts are still on stock shafts without issue. 

Just going off of what GM says.  Seen loads of popped out CVs and busted upper control arms from those who "shortcut" things on these T1 trucks.  

• Like 2

40,000 miles on mine with TB height Bilsteins. No issues. Lots of folks on here doing it without issue. It’s the same ride height as a TB/AT4. 

Going much past that requires control arms and CV shafts. GM’s just being cautious with the 2” TB lift. 

GM says you have to have the TB kit to use with the DSSV shocks because they want you to buy it from them and pay to have it installed. Reality is there’s nothing that requires the GM components. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Thanks for confirming this - I was going to do the swap today but I thought I ran into needing UCAs too... looks like I do not

I am going to leave the rear end stock (RST) height and just end up level (I think) by installing the DSSV on all 4 corners, keeping stock UCAs too.

Edited by 23RST
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AJMBLAZER said:

Make sure the rear shocks won’t bottom out. 

i suspect you’ll be fine but check that. 

Fronts are done - way less stiff than the Bilstein 6112 my God... the rears (still have the 5160s on) are noticeably stiff as f*ck - I can't wait to get them off. My last rear arrives tomorrow. Alignment Monday.

Btw, Idk if you have a diesel but I would not wish front coilover change on my worst enemy. There is so much sh*t in the way on top of the strut tower it's insane. I know at least with the 6.2 zr2 there is *nothing* on top.

2 hours ago, 23RST said:

Fronts are done - way less stiff than the Bilstein 6112 my God... the rears (still have the 5160s on) are noticeably stiff as f*ck - I can't wait to get them off. My last rear arrives tomorrow. Alignment Monday.

Btw, Idk if you have a diesel but I would not wish front coilover change on my worst enemy. There is so much sh*t in the way on top of the strut tower it's insane. I know at least with the 6.2 zr2 there is *nothing* on top.

2.7L is the same. Open ended ratcheting wrench is your friend.

Are the UCAs different on the ZR2 vs all the others?

I could never get a solid answer. Some people said they were all the same while the others have said the standard suspension and TB/AT4 were the same but the ZR2 was different. I've tried looking up part numbers online but most of them don't have them listed for '23's and up. I'm guessing they are the same because the TB/AT4 kit doesn't come with new UCAs and since that kit is "required" to get the DSSV kit, the DSSV kit doesn't come with new UCAs either. 

I have the TB suspension but now thinking about adding some coilovers for about a 1" level and would need to do UCAs at the same time. I'd also love to find a set of used DSSVs as I'm not paying retail for them. If I can go with stock ZR2 upper arms vs aftermarket, that's the route I'd like to go to keep everything GM for warranty purposes. 

GM shows different part numbers for the ZR2 control arms but doesn't list what is different about them.

I wonder about how different they are though because of the recommended GM upgrade stuff for the DSSV structs not requiring/showing any upper control arms.

2 hours ago, AJMBLAZER said:

GM shows different part numbers for the ZR2 control arms but doesn't list what is different about them.

I wonder about how different they are though because of the recommended GM upgrade stuff for the DSSV structs not requiring/showing any upper control arms.

Possibly have a bit more caster built into them for the lift.