I am in the market for a new truck (3500, SRW, 4x4) and considering a diesel.  I have zero experience with diesel, never owned one, never knew anybody that owned one.  My biggest concern (aside from fear of the unknown) is how reliable are they in cold weather (Northern Minnesota)?  Winter is a busy time for me and I need a truck I can depend on.  I frequently stay in remote areas, no electricity (except for a small generator), and far from any kind of tow service.  Will a diesel truck reliably start when it's between -25 and 0 (degrees F.)?  The truck would always be outside, even at home.

I don't really "need" a diesel for the loads I'm towing, but I do get tired of the downshifting and high rpm that are normal with a gasser.  I would love to get some input from people that use their diesel pickups in cold weather.  Should I even be thinking about diesel or stick with gas?

On 5/1/2024 at 7:18 PM, sno1 said:

I am in the market for a new truck (3500, SRW, 4x4) and considering a diesel.  I have zero experience with diesel, never owned one, never knew anybody that owned one.  My biggest concern (aside from fear of the unknown) is how reliable are they in cold weather (Northern Minnesota)?  Winter is a busy time for me and I need a truck I can depend on.  I frequently stay in remote areas, no electricity (except for a small generator), and far from any kind of tow service.  Will a diesel truck reliably start when it's between -25 and 0 (degrees F.)?  The truck would always be outside, even at home.

I don't really "need" a diesel for the loads I'm towing, but I do get tired of the downshifting and high rpm that are normal with a gasser.  I would love to get some input from people that use their diesel pickups in cold weather.  Should I even be thinking about diesel or stick with gas?

I'll keep this short.  I've had several diesels including recent 20 & 21 DMax 3500's.  Both were very reliable and never left me stranded.  The only issue was a DEF heater problem on the last one that had the truck sitting at the dealer for a month waiting for the part.  I'm in MN too and never had a problem in cold weather with the diesel, some nights double digit below zero.

My current truck is a 2024 Gas 3500 SRW HC.  It was a bit of a transition going from the diesel power but I've grown to really like this gasser.  Plenty of power to tow what you need, just won't get up to speed as fast as the diesel.  The 6.6 is reliable and far less to go wrong than the diesel, one of the main reasons I have it.  I'll be honest though, I tell myself that to keep from going back to the diesel! lol

I tow quite a bit and the 6.6 gas with the 10spd has been awesome.

My opinion, if you're not sure and don't really need the diesel, save the 10k and get the 6.6/10spd..you won't be disappointed.

4 hours ago, CRApex said:

I'll keep this short.  I've had several diesels including recent 20 & 21 DMax 3500's.  Both were very reliable and never left me stranded.  The only issue was a DEF heater problem on the last one that had the truck sitting at the dealer for a month waiting for the part.  I'm in MN too and never had a problem in cold weather with the diesel, some nights double digit below zero.

My current truck is a 2024 Gas 3500 SRW HC.  It was a bit of a transition going from the diesel power but I've grown to really like this gasser.  Plenty of power to tow what you need, just won't get up to speed as fast as the diesel.  The 6.6 is reliable and far less to go wrong than the diesel, one of the main reasons I have it.  I'll be honest though, I tell myself that to keep from going back to the diesel! lol

I tow quite a bit and the 6.6 gas with the 10spd has been awesome.

My opinion, if you're not sure and don't really need the diesel, save the 10k and get the 6.6/10spd..you won't be disappointed.

Thank you for your input.  I'm having a hard time making up my mind but am leaning toward staying with gas (for now)