Extended warranty

I'm very close to purchasing a 2024 GM (still deciding between GMC & Chev) 3500 crew cab short box 4x4. 

I have never purchased an extended warranty before but all of the electronics and high price of components has me considering it this time.

I know with Ford you do not have to buy right away and do not have to buy from same dealer as vehicle.  There are several Ford dealers that sell the warranty online for a considerably lower price (about half) then my local dealer.  I've done a lot of searching online and get the impression that a GM warranty has to be purchased at same time as vehicle?  I can't find anyone selling online and can't find any prices at all.  Extended warranties are a high profit item and I know dealers have a lot of flexibility in the price they charge so I hate to go in unprepared. 

My questions are; does a GM extended warranty (protection plan) have to be purchased from the dealer at time of vehicle purchase?  Is there any place I can look for pricing?  I would like to compare prices for different time/mileage options. 

Its all in the fine print. Make sure you understand exactly what the original warranty covers and for how long before you spend all that extra money. The dealers are famous for scare tactics and they go on and on about the computers blah blah blah then they draw circles on a sheet of paper and then red lines between them in an attempt to intimidate you. 

I believe that theres a period after the sale when you can buy it but I dont recall how long since I never buy them. 

Warranties are a huge money maker for the dealers. 

A lot can depend on how long you typically keep a truck. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, sno1 said:

I'm very close to purchasing a 2024 GM (still deciding between GMC & Chev) 3500 crew cab short box 4x4. 

I have never purchased an extended warranty before but all of the electronics and high price of components has me considering it this time.

I know with Ford you do not have to buy right away and do not have to buy from same dealer as vehicle.  There are several Ford dealers that sell the warranty online for a considerably lower price (about half) then my local dealer.  I've done a lot of searching online and get the impression that a GM warranty has to be purchased at same time as vehicle?  I can't find anyone selling online and can't find any prices at all.  Extended warranties are a high profit item and I know dealers have a lot of flexibility in the price they charge so I hate to go in unprepared. 

My questions are; does a GM extended warranty (protection plan) have to be purchased from the dealer at time of vehicle purchase?  Is there any place I can look for pricing?  I would like to compare prices for different time/mileage options. 

Me experience has been it’s easier getting extended warranty at point of sale at the selling dealership. With few exceptions I always bought leftovers that were discounted so I would get a deal with the warranty too. Even if you aren’t going that route and you’re buying high desired vehicle. There’s always negotiation room with extended warranty. My last vehicle I bought with extended warranty paid off with the replacement of the radio, GPS, backup camera combo. It wasn’t cheap. 

• Like 2

I have a 2024 Chevy high country 3500 HD and I love it. I've always been a Chevy guy but I chose it over the GMC mainly because I didn't like the GMC grill it looks like a bug catcher. Do your research on an extended warranty but just note, and I learned this a long time ago, that if you were to save $50 a month in a separate account at the end of your 5-year warranty you'd have $3,000 + interest for any issues that pop up or repairs. Just saying!

• Like 2

I had asked the dealer to send me some specific details about the warranty and just received an email a few minutes ago.  He didn't send anything that tells me what's covered and what isn't, so I replied back asking for more.  What he did say is that 72 month is the longest they offer and a 72 month, 60,000 mile warranty is $3,200!  And the time/miles start at time of vehicle purchase, so it's really a 36 month 24,000 mile warranty.  Sorry, I'm not spending $3,200 for 3 years and 24,000 miles of coverage.

I've got more looking to do.....

Posted (edited)

I am 60. I declined the first extended warranty offered to me at age 24 on a vacuum cleaner. I have turned down every one ever since from consumer electronics to cars. I am at least $20,000 ahead at this point. 

I tell the above quickly to any sales person who doesn’t accept my first “no thanks.”  It shuts them up every time. 

Edited by Another JR

We went all in on the warranty . I think its somewhat like insurance coverage if my thinking is right ,

all the electronics , the new 10 speed transmission behind the 6.6 gas engine ,yada , yada . We got the Gas and Go plan 

It's a 50/50 gamble. My last new vehicle was in '85 and usually buy a vehicle one or two years old. I did buy several extended warranties and always broke even and recouped my money on all except one and went in the hole about $400. When I bought my HD I elected to go with the extended GM Protection Plan with the cost of repairing a diesel and the electronics. 

I would never buy an extended warranty unless it was offered by a reputable dealership. Keep in mind you can get them down on the cost of it if you are persistent. If they think you are going to walk they will nearly wipe their profit margin on the warranty to make the sale.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ManyCamaroz said:

It's a 50/50 gamble. My last new vehicle was in '85 and usually buy a vehicle one or two years old. I did buy several extended warranties and always broke even and recouped my money on all except one and went in the hole about $400. When I bought my HD I elected to go with the extended GM Protection Plan with the cost of repairing a diesel and the electronics. 

I would never buy an extended warranty unless it was offered by a reputable dealership. Keep in mind you can get them down on the cost of it if you are persistent. If they think you are going to walk they will nearly wipe their profit margin on the warranty to make the sale.

About the reputable dealership.  Why is that ? Im not sure Im following you .

Thanks

the truck comes with a warranty already, why worry whats gonna happen in 3 years......you can get them later on and there is one dealer who sells them I remember that alot of people were using cpl years back for cheap on this forum.....

guess I have higher tolerance for risk but if its going to break or defective it usually happens well before 3 years....maintain your vehicle properly and check it routinely

if buying a diesel since I have never had one and they seem kinda finicky possibly, but even then I would wait a little while probably......

dealers also say just get it and cancel it in a few months so they get their commission......like they would actually follow thru, lol.....my guess is you would almost have to get a lawyer to call to get them to forfeit anything, lol

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 11:48 AM, BCGM said:

About the reputable dealership.  Why is that ? Im not sure Im following you .

Thanks

A manufacture dealership that has a good reputation and not a "Buy Here-Pay Here" car lot. 

Edited by ManyCamaroz

We got some information on the extended warranty from GM the other day with a personalized card , Hmmm . After reading some of the fine print it sure has a lot of " Not Covered Items " so I'm wondering what the heck it does cover .

We were told it was basically a Gas and Go warranty . Hmmm  . Further research to be done . Buyer Beware is coming to mind . Wonder if we can back out of it if its not worth it ?

1 hour ago, BCGM said:

We got some information on the extended warranty from GM the other day with a personalized card , Hmmm . After reading some of the fine print it sure has a lot of " Not Covered Items " so I'm wondering what the heck it does cover .

We were told it was basically a Gas and Go warranty . Hmmm  . Further research to be done . Buyer Beware is coming to mind . Wonder if we can back out of it if its not worth it ?

If you bought the actual GM warranty, "Chevrolet Protection Plan", I believe there is a 30 day full refund period and then a prorated refund after 30 days.

There is info here:  https://www.chevrolet.com/protection-plans/chevrolet-platinum-protection

And all the fine print is here:  https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/owners/warranty/06-pdfs/CHVSC_230524_SAMPLE.pdf

On 5/31/2024 at 10:57 AM, sno1 said:

If you bought the actual GM warranty, "Chevrolet Protection Plan", I believe there is a 30 day full refund period and then a prorated refund after 30 days.

There is info here:  https://www.chevrolet.com/protection-plans/chevrolet-platinum-protection

And all the fine print is here:  https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/owners/warranty/06-pdfs/CHVSC_230524_SAMPLE.pdf

Sno1 Thank You ! its an actual GM warranty we even got a card LOL . I need to check this all out . As mentioned the dealership said it was basically a Gas and Go warranty well I'm not seeing that in the fine print I will check out your links and do some more investigating . 

6 minutes ago, BCGM said:

Sno1 Thank You ! its an actual GM warranty we even got a card LOL . I need to check this all out . As mentioned the dealership said it was basically a Gas and Go warranty well I'm not seeing that in the fine print I will check out your links and do some more investigating . 

Happy to assist.

If you bought the top level (Platinum?) coverage it does cover a lot, but not as much as the factory 3/36.  Depending on what you paid it may be worth the peace of mind.

I'm currently shopping for myself and the best price I've found so far is $3,209.  That's for the top coverage for 8 years, 100,000 miles, zero deductible.  There are many time/mileage/deductible options.  Haven't decided yet what I'm going to do but I'm leaning toward not getting the extended warranty...