Bad bearing in ac pump?

fireball

Question

Recently I've noticed a noise like a dry bearing coming from the engine compartment and started tracing it down.First I thought it was the alternator,no, next the idler pully bearing,no,and next the belt tensioner bearing,it was a bit dry but still not the cause.I was driving the other day and had the heater selector on floor instead of mix and the noise was gone so I put the selector on defrost and it came back so it must be in the ac pump right?Is it a big job to replace the bearings in it?Thanks.

0 answers to this question

Recently I've noticed a noise like a dry bearing coming from the engine compartment and started tracing it down.First I thought it was the alternator,no, next the idler pully bearing,no,and next the belt tensioner bearing,it was a bit dry but still not the cause.I was driving the other day and had the heater selector on floor instead of mix and the noise was gone so I put the selector on defrost and it came back so it must be in the ac pump right?Is it a big job to replace the bearings in it?Thanks.

If it is the compressor, it can be a bear to change bearings. There are two "sets" of them though. One set allowed the compressor to free wheel the pulley when A.C is not in use but the other set is internal and require a compressor removal and rebuild with the freon being removed and replaced in the process. I would suggest you replace the unit and not bother with repairing it because the noise could also be coming for internal swash plate too that the pistons ride on. Even if it is just the bearings it is still a sign that they rest is not far behind so hence the complete replacement. Systems that are not properly charged to and fail early because the charge lubes and cools the compressor internal parts. When you change a compressor you should always replace the receiver/dryer too.

You failed to say what model, year, type of compressor, etc., but generally speaking, compressors on GM vehicles are not internally repairable. You might find aftermarket internal components, but you sure won't get them from GM, so I wouldn't consider overhauling a compressor an option.

The pulley bearing is replaceable on most compressors, and is the only component we'll replace. Otherwise, the complete compressor is replaced. GM doesn't even want us replacing the front seal.

If it's noisy with the compressor OFF, it can only be the pulley bearing (assuming all other rotating components have been eliminated). If it's only noisy with the compressor ON, then it's most likely an internal compressor problem. Time for a new one.

You failed to say what model, year, type of compressor, etc., but generally speaking, compressors on GM vehicles are not internally repairable.  You might find aftermarket internal components, but you sure won't get them from GM, so I wouldn't consider overhauling a compressor an option.

The pulley bearing is replaceable on most compressors, and is the only component we'll replace.  Otherwise, the complete compressor is replaced.  GM doesn't even want us replacing the front seal.

If it's noisy with the compressor OFF, it can only be the pulley bearing (assuming all other rotating components have been eliminated).  If it's only noisy with the compressor ON, then it's most likely an internal compressor problem.  Time for a new one.

I have seen them in the aftermarket (parts) and for some models of compressors you can get rebuilt or brand new Delco unit from Advanced Auto and a lot cheap than a dealer too. They do not current all of them new but they did for a buddies van over a year ago and he paid under 200 for it too and it was NIB. (New In Box)

Archived