Broken side mirror ruined my paint?

Last week I my side view mirror on my 03 truck was hit and broke the glass. It occured at night so I was surprised to find that the fluid in the heating element sprayed down the side of my truck as I drove away. The white paint is stained from the driver's door all the way to the back of the truck. The body shop says it has to be repainted. The GM regional rep will not help even though its under warrenty. What can I do without having to spend big $$$ on a repaint job? Are there any aggressive polishes on the market that anyone recommends that could take this stain (or at least most of it off)? Any other recommendations? Thanks.

Whatever the source of the fluid, this is definitely one for your insurance company (unless you know the person that broke the mirror, the it is for their insurance company).

I wouldnt say that is an "under warranty" item. I mean it wasnt a manufacturer defect. I am surprised the gm rep didnt tell you to contact your insurance company. Someone broke the mirror which caused the stain. That would fall under your insurance. I broke my pass side mirror by hitting it on a basketball pole. If I took it into a dealer to ask them to fix it under warranty I would have gotten laughed out of the place because you can tell it wasnt the automobile companies fault.

I have experienced two broken heated mirrors, one on a previously owned 2000 Tahoe and just a few months ago on my '02 Yukon Denali. I was able to get all of the stain off my door using a clay bar which you can buy at any autoparts store for $10-15. Worse case, you should resort to using a random orbital polisher. I polish my SUV once a year to remove swirls using a Portal Cable 7336SP polisher with 3M swirl mark remover and a white Lake Country Manufacturing buffing pad (buy it from Classic Motoring, www.properautocare.com). It will only take out swirls and is not very aggressive. You do not need to repaint your door to correct this.

Archived