Instrument panel

Can somebody help me out. I just bought a 2003 Silverado and need to know a few things. There are symbols above and below the dial that adjusts the dash light intensity that do not light up like the symobls around the switch for the head lights. Is this normal? It seems like thoes symbols should light up too but maybe they don't. I also have the automatic transfer case for 4WD with the AUTO 4WD button at the top. The word AUTO lights up but 4WD does not. Is this normal? One more thing. When I turn off the truck I can hear the dials in the cluster as they turn off. It sounds like something is whinding down. When the truck is on I can also hear a faint whinding noise in the instrument cluster and I suspect it is the TAC. I just want to make sure nothing is wrong before warranty runs out.

In my '03 the word '4wd' doesn't light up either. I'll have to look tonight at the headlight switch, I don't remember. I do think that the noise in the cluster is something to have them look at. That is not normal. I replaced mine, for other reasons, and neither one made a 'whinding' or any noise for that matter.

Ok, thanks for the replies on the lights. Now I know this is normal. I make it sound like the noise in the cluster is loud which it isn't. You have to have the radio off and while the truck is running the noise is really faint. I think it is whatever controls the TAC. When I turn the truck off the noise is louder like all the gauges whinding down. It is hard to notice unless you listen for it. I just don't want this to get worse.

I just don't want this to get worse.

Now ah, in the event that your cluster does go belly up out of warranty. you can replace it yourself. its about 10 minutes worth of work and 4 screws. I Had to replace mine and when i did, i put in an Esclade cluster. Now it looks sick with the chrome rings and I even got a tranny temp guage now. It only cost me $260. Just something to keep in the back of your mind.

Archived