Power extending tow mirrors

Just like the subject says. They have to be better than the itty bitty ones that came with mine. I can't see a thing out of my mirrors. Backing up is horrible. It almost seems like they put a magnifying mirror on the drivers side because everything and I mean everything seems closer than it really is. I will be backing up and thinking I am going to hit the car behind me and in reality I have 3 or 4 more feet.

Please tell me your comments, I am thinking about selling my power folding, heated mirrors for a set of the power extenders.

I had the towing mirrors on my old Excursion and they worked great but I am not fond of the look of the chevy ones, they just don't fit the personality of the truck IMO. Tell me what you think, am I off base here?

The new towing mirrors (new for 2006, I think) are supposed to be great. I didn't get them simply because I live and drive in the city mostly and like the power folding feature of the standard mirrors.

Bill

The whole problem with the power extenders is the passenger side mirror. For one the mirror is not "de-magnified to give you a good field of view. My last truck (99 Silverado) had the standard sized mirrors and the passenger side was just like every other side view passenger mirror in the world it said "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" giving you that wider field of view. You could actually see more with less glass. The other problem is no convex on either mirror, even if they are fully extended, I cannot see around my camp trailer because of the lack of this tool. The other disadvantage is they just sit to low. The 06 version took all of these short-falls into consideration and fixed them into a hideous package. I agree, they don't belong on a GM truck. They look like some aftermarket job. But they work, my buddy has them and I drove his truck. It was like night and day as far as field of view. Also, the clutch on the power extender likes to slip. I have this problem every once in a while and I have to help them extend. Others on this forum have run into the same thing. My advice is if you are dead set on the power extenders just cover the blinker with a convex style mirror. I know that sucks but if function is more important than cosmetics that is your solution. The best thing about the power extenders is the look. They look low-pro and tough. It makes the HD's look like they are made to tow. If I had it to do over, I would have ordered the power folding, heated, memory, blinker, auto dimming, curb assist mirrors. Alot more useful functions. Ordered a pair of slide-on extensions for towing and called it good.

What sstimothy said....

They sound good on paper but the field of view on the passenger's side is not good. I've added convex mirrors that attach to the bottom of the mirror and it helps get a wider field of view, but their still not grreat. I had better mirrors on my 85 Ford.

DEWFPO

Having flat glass on the passenger side allows you to know exactly where the end of your trailer is. Very helpful when backing into tight corners, you don't have the distortion of a convex giving the "object in mirror is closer than appears" look when trying to judge distance. Look at big rigs, their main mirrors are flat glass.

Having said that, the pre '06 power tow mirrors SUCK. Both of mine vibrate so darn much going down the highway that it's hard to see anything. I've complained twice about it at a dealership and was told it's "normal, get use to it". I've also had to get the clutch packs fixed on mine because they stopped extending. Truck was less than a year old at the time.

Plus you do need a little convex mirror to see in the blind spot on the passenger side which it doesn't come with. What I don't get is the manual tow mirrors have convex corners integrated into the mirror for both passenger and driver side. Why the heck didn't they do that with the so called upgraded mirrors?????

When I get the time (and money :D ) I'm planning on getting the new power tow mirrors. MUCH better design.

If I were you I'd either get the '06 power tow mirrors or the manual tow mirrors. Stay away from pre '06 power tow mirrors.

IMO none of them extend out far enough. The tow mirrors on my '84 chev let me see around my trailers better than any mirrors I've had since.

I went with the Manual tow mirrors for my 04 , couldnt see spending all that $$$$ on power ones.

I was going to switch back and forth from the originals when I was not towing but I really LOVE the larger viewing area of the Tow mirrors.

No issues with vibrations at highway speeds....only thing is they tend to move when the doors are slammed shut :D

John

I found the GM factory power mirrors to be too small. Many owners have also reported vibration and motor failure.

One of the most important selling points, when I bought my new 2006+ Duramax was the new "Camper Mirrors." That was a real deal-closer...at last the perfect set of mirrors.

I love them for towing and just tooling around town.

Steve

100_0418.jpg

Having flat glass on the passenger side allows you to know exactly where the end of your trailer is.  Very helpful when backing into tight corners, you don't have the distortion of a convex giving the "object in mirror is closer than appears" look when trying to judge distance.  Look at big rigs, their main mirrors are flat glass.

Having said that, the pre '06 power tow mirrors SUCK.  Both of mine vibrate so darn much going down the highway that it's hard to see anything.  I've complained twice about it at a dealership and was told it's "normal, get use to it".  I've also had to get the clutch packs fixed on mine because they stopped extending.  Truck was less than a year old at the time.

Plus you do need a little convex mirror to see in the blind spot on the passenger side which it doesn't come with.  What I don't get is the manual tow mirrors have convex corners integrated into the mirror for both passenger and driver side.  Why the heck didn't they do that with the so called upgraded mirrors?????

When I get the time (and money  :cheers: ) I'm planning on getting the new power tow mirrors.  MUCH better design.

If I were you I'd either get the '06 power tow mirrors or the manual tow mirrors.  Stay away from pre '06 power tow mirrors. 

IMO none of them extend out far enough.  The tow mirrors on my '84 chev let me see around my trailers better than any mirrors I've had since.

I see your point with the flat glass. Seeing the "true" vision of your trailer is important. That is it though. With the abscense of a convex and more flat glass there is a HUGE blind spot all of the length of the truck. Lane changing is impossible without holding your breath. If a car is right beside you, your oblivious to it. Your right, the vibration is annoying. An aftermarket company needs to make a bottom or top mount convex that attaches to the housing with its own aerodynamic housing. Just the outside half of the mirror or so. That way you wouldn't have to cover up the LED blinker and save precious flat glass for trailer view. Even if it had a convex that mounted on the tip with the same black housing countour to it. I would be their first customer.

An aftermarket company needs to make a bottom or top mount convex that attaches to the housing with its own aerodynamic housing.  Just the outside half of the mirror or so.  That way you wouldn't have to cover up the LED blinker and save precious flat glass for trailer view.  Even if it had a convex that mounted on the tip with the same black housing countour to it.  I would be their first customer.

They already do.... http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?...id=3445&sc=3364

Their mounted in a black aerodynamic mount that looks o.k. with the stock mirrors.

I have these mounted to the bottom of my power extending tow mirrors. They work fine, although when the passenger's side mirror is retracted all the way I have to lean over a bit to see the convex mirror but it's not a real problem.

They looked better mounted on the bottom than on the top or the side IMHO.

If I knew how to attach a photo I would.

DEWFPO

I also have the power extending camper mirrors (2004; truck almost 2 years old).

- My driver side is a little looser and vibrates, but isn't too bad. Passenger side doesn't vibrate at all.

- Passenger side sticks sometimes and won't extend. Usually works after bopping it a few times with my hand. I try to extend/retract them a couple of times a week on the theory that this will either keep them working, or (if this is their destiny) they will fail before the warranty is up.

- I put a good sized convex on the passenger side (upper left was best for me). Before putting on the convex, I'm embarassed to admit that I pretty much ran somebody onto the shoulder (paved, fortunately) while slowly changing to the right lane with the bed blocking my direct view (plus I had a trailer). Blind "spot" is an understatement! I couldn't see a thing without the convex.

Other than that, I like 'em.

An aftermarket company needs to make a bottom or top mount convex that attaches to the housing with its own aerodynamic housing.  Just the outside half of the mirror or so.  That way you wouldn't have to cover up the LED blinker and save precious flat glass for trailer view.  Even if it had a convex that mounted on the tip with the same black housing countour to it.  I would be their first customer.

They already do.... http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?...id=3445&sc=3364

Their mounted in a black aerodynamic mount that looks o.k. with the stock mirrors.

I have these mounted to the bottom of my power extending tow mirrors. They work fine, although when the passenger's side mirror is retracted all the way I have to lean over a bit to see the convex mirror but it's not a real problem.

They looked better mounted on the bottom than on the top or the side IMHO.

If I knew how to attach a photo I would.

DEWFPO

I think we need a pic of them mounted on the bottom, cause those look hideous mounted on top like that.

So it sounds like there is no power extending mirror in the flat/convex style, just that manual one that is pictured a few posts up. Anyone got the part number to them and/or somewhere to buy them? I think I'm gonna refuse delivery on my PowerVision mirrors.

If someone can help me fiqure out how to post a pic, I will.

DEWFPO

If you can email it to me I can post it up for you:

djfriar at gmail dot com

but basically you need to put the picture on a webpage that anyone can reach, the you copy the URL of the picture in your post, and put URL in [] in front of it, and /URL in [] behind it.

Archived