Ok, I'm slow...Ipods

99silveradoz71

Ok, I've been recalling the days before the net lately when I knew a hell of a lot about computers. Of course that was ages ago and now I've been left in the dust. Anyhow, I'm traveling out of town next week and thought about some music as we'll be driving once we're out west. I understand that the ipods are mp3 players. Now can I take mp3's that I have on my hard disk and put them on there? Also, how do they work in a vehicle? Any particular model to look at or?

Personally, I like the genuine ipods over other brands. They have a lot more third party accesories. Many aftermarket stereos (And some OEM ones) can integrate directly with the ipod, so that you can control it with your stereo. I can't think of any other brands that do that.

The ipods come with free software called itunes (Or you can download it from Apple's site) that will import and organize your music collection. It's pretty simple to import your existing mp3s and CDs. Itunes won't handle Windows Media Files though (Which you usually get through services like Napster).

I have my ipod hooked to my car stereo through a $20 adapter that I bought at WalMart. It charges the ipod, and acts as an FM transmitter for it, using only the cigarette lighter. It has worked really well for me out here, although it might not work as well if your area has a lot of radio stations.

Guest chevydeerhunter

I wish all decks had an aux input for just his purpose. My wife's Honda Element has one and we plug my mp3 player into it whenever we travel. I download two or three days of The Bob and Tom show and listen while we travel.

In my truck, I just use one of the many wireless FM modulated transmitters. It's not perfect, but it does the trick.

Yeah, I don't care for Apple's DRM either.

A good source for DRM free music is either http://www.alltunes.com (An easy to use interface, written by the AllOfMP3 guys) or http://www.easynews.com .

Neither are technically legal here, if that sort of thing bothers you :cheers: Also, AllTunes is a Russian site. I've known many people (Including myself) who have been using it for a while with absolutely no problems, but if you're nervous about giving your credit card info to a Russian company, you'll probably want to skip them.

Have you considered Satalite Radio? Obviously, they do not play EXACTLY what you want to hear all the time, but they do play a variety and many songs that I would not have heard, that I do like if I were to go the Ipod route.

I have Sirius and love it. I don't know how I ever lived without it. Music channels are commerical free + there is comedy, news, entertainment and weather if I choose to listen to it. It is nationwide and the best money I think I have ever spent. I paid for the lifetime subscription, which was the same as 3 years at a month by month basis and I never have to buy songs again. They have a newer model out now that you can record songs that are played on the air so you can play them back whenever you want to.

Just an alternate thought.

I got an ipod because the ease of use and the availability of an adapter to make it work with my factory GM radio, That is where I use it and why I bought it. FM transmitter adapter would not be a good choice where I live.

Archived