Calling All Gm Hybrid Truck Owners.....

Any hybrid owners who have had repair work done to the hybrid components?

My '04 wouldn't start the other day. Towed it to a GMC dealer that could actually work on it (dealer where I bought it turned me away saying they didn't have tech. qualified for the hybrids).

The diagnosis is a bad battery in the Energy Storage Box. As of today, 3 to 5 days until a new battery will arrive. To add to it, the dealer's warranty info. says the hybrid batteries are NOT covered under the 8yr/100,000 mile warranty GM placed on the hybrid trucks.

All info. I've dug up says they ARE covered. Dealer is going to call GM directly to get to the bottom of the discrepancy. At least the dealer is backing me up.

Just curious if any other hybrid owners have had issues with warranty repairs.

Update: Dealership is going to replace the battery under the 8yr/100,000mi warranty. Bad news is, there is no replacement battery available. One is being MADE for my truck. Current estimate is 4 days to get the battery made. Hopefully, that holds true. The dealership has been pretty good so far.

I'm now heading into 3 weeks without my truck. Good thing I have a back-up car.

At this point GM will most likely receive a letter of complaint from me.

1) Not enough dealerships with techs who are trained to work on the hybrids

2) Replacement parts not readily available

3) At no time has the dealership or GM offered me a loaner car until my truck is fixed. This is supposed to be part of the 8/100 warranty.

The new Yukon's with the all-new dual-mode hybrid system are due out toward the end of '07, beginning of '08. I hope GM is more on the ball with these. Otherwise their hybrid program will take a serious hit.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
That sucks man, I dont know how it was so hard for GM to build a battery, they literally gave a silverado battery casing to our school for their hybrid electric vehicle at VT, other than the battery how useful has the truck been?

I haven't been on here in a while, but the battery deal turned out okay. The dealership actually got the new hybrid battery quicker than 4 days, so I got the truck back sooner than expected. A few days later, the conventional battery under the hood died. The dealership replaced it for FREE.

The truck has been fine since and has been very reliable. Overall, I've been really happy with my hybrid truck. It will be interesting to see how the new hybrid trucks sell now that they have true electric drive to the wheels.

• 2 months later...

Archived