E-85 In Winter

I've only been running E85 since March or so, so I don't have a lot of cold weather experience. My feelings are you'll be alright. If you're running 100% pure ethanol, you would need to be concerned. Ethanol has a lower vapor pressure than straight-up gasoline, so it doesn't *light* as well in colder temperatures. :lol:

But if you ever look at your E85 pumps, they probably say "Minimum 70% Ethanol Content." The distributors lower the Ethanol content to help with cold weather starting. Don't know where exactly you are, but in Maryland to Maine, from mid-Oct to mid-March, the minimum Ethanol content is 70%. Mid-March to mid-June is 74%. Mid-June to around Sept is 79%. Sept to mid-Oct is 74%. Now these are minimum values, so your distributor may in fact go above those values, but that depends on the weather.

You really only need to be real worried about this if you've converted over an old vehicle. These new vehicles have pretty sophisticated computer systems and have a high-enough pressure injectors, so the effects of cold weather isn't as noticeable.

Good luck. If you track your mileage, you'll probably notice minor changes throughout the year.

:thumbs:

Thanks for the info. Ive done "some" reading about e-85 and remember a mention of harder starting in cold weather was there, but I was unsure what percentage of ethanol was in it. Now that youve told me the %varies depending on the time of year I better understand how hard starting in colder weather is overcome. I will have pay more attention to look at the pump next time I fill up to see what the % is. It reminds me of when my dad would put some additive in the tank of his old diesel pickup to keep it from "jelling-up", kinda sounds like the same idea....... Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. Ive done "some" reading about e-85 and remember a mention of harder starting in cold weather was there, but I was unsure what percentage of ethanol was in it. Now that youve told me the %varies depending on the time of year I better understand how hard starting in colder weather is overcome. I will have pay more attention to look at the pump next time I fill up to see what the % is. It reminds me of when my dad would put some additive in the tank of his old diesel pickup to keep it from "jelling-up", kinda sounds like the same idea....... Thanks again.

Nope no gel. Put a bottle of Vodka in the freezer and see what happens . . . :thumbs:

The only thing I would be worried about is dilution of the E-85 by water from condensation. Alcohol absorbs water so you may run into a problem. My suggestion, keep the tank about 1/2 at all times. If you notice continual hard starts switch back to gasoline.

The only thing I would be worried about is dilution of the E-85 by water from condensation. Alcohol absorbs water so you may run into a problem. My suggestion, keep the tank about 1/2 at all times. If you notice continual hard starts switch back to gasoline.

So you're saying I'd get a free HHO system? :thumbs:

Probably a good point in all seriousness. My girlfriend's dad always says that about regular gas too.

So you're saying I'd get a free HHO system? :D

Probably a good point in all seriousness. My girlfriend's dad always says that about regular gas too.

HHO? That crap hydrogen stuff? That stuffs the biggest joke since......well....since the last big joke! :thumbs:

Your girlfriend's dad is right. Water in fuel from condensation can be a problem in the winter. DIfference is, gasoline doesnt absorb water, so if you get to much water, the vehicle just doesnt start. With E-85, if there is a high water content the engine will still try to run with it (because alcohol was water in it) and engine damage is much more likely.

Water; H20

Gasoline; C5H12

Ethanol; CH3CH2OH

The one thing I would have to look up is if E-85 manufacturers put any additioanl additives in during winter. I know Gasoline and Diesel manufacturers do....so it stands to reason....but I dont want to assume anything.

So you're saying I'd get a free HHO system? :lol:

HHO? That crap hydrogen stuff? That stuffs the biggest joke since......well....since the last big joke! :lol:

Your girlfriend's dad is right. Water in fuel from condensation can be a problem in the winter. DIfference is, gasoline doesnt absorb water, so if you get to much water, the vehicle just doesnt start. With E-85, if there is a high water content the engine will still try to run with it (because alcohol was water in it) and engine damage is much more likely.

Water; H20

Gasoline; C5H12

Ethanol; CH3CH2OH

The one thing I would have to look up is if E-85 manufacturers put any additioanl additives in during winter. I know Gasoline and Diesel manufacturers do....so it stands to reason....but I dont want to assume anything.

I've never worried too much about the condensation in my old gas engines. But I never let my tanks get too low if I can help it. But it is something to consider on these E85 engines.

BTW, I was joking about the HHO. :lol:

• 9 months later...

anyone have any new info on E85 and water.I know there were a few snowmobiles having problems with the 10% ethonol cause it makes water in the tank more likley. What would E 85 do to cause more water in our trucks? Also Startron by Starbrite is the new additive for the new winter fuel blends. Any ideas??

Archived