11 Mpg City?

Hey guys i have a 2008 gmc sierra 5.3l with 17,000 miles on it completely stock (for now). I change the oil every 3,000 miles, my air filter is clean, and my tires are properly inflated. With that being said, i get 11.1 miles per gallon in the city (according to the onboard computer) I AM IN NO WAY COMPLAINING. i knew i wouldnt get great gas mileage when i bought this truck, however is this typical of these trucks?? I drive very easy and have even resorted to driving like a grandpa the last 3 tanks of gas to see if there would be any improvement in gas mileage. So heres my question... is something wrong with my truck, or is this about what everyone else is getting?

I can't say there is something wrong with the truck, because there are too many variables...driving style, environment, how far you drive on a regular basis, how many stops, idle time, remote start usage, etc, etc. But that does sound low. I rarely get less than 13 with my 2007 Vmax with in town usage. I have when it's been colder, I drive it really hard, I let is sit and run a lot and so on.

Have you tried calculating your mileage manually? And do you reset your DIC at each fill up?

I drive 20 miles one way to work over all surface streets averaging 45 mph. Even with traffic and hitting half the 43 stop lights between home and work, I average 15.6 mpg in the winter and can see as high as 18 mpg during the summer. I would think something is a miss with your truck.

I do drive like a Grandpa (probably because I are one) and I closely monitor the instant MPG guage and try to drive so that my truck stays in V4 mode as much as possible but accelerating slowly and coasting down inclines and approaching stop lights. I also drive the speed limit, which tends to piss off a lot of the idiots here in Atlanta, but you know what, with traffic, I still get to the final destination within 5 minutes of the idiots, and I know I'm using way less fuel and saving way more money!

temp is around 75 here and yes i do reset the DIC at every fill up. i use remote start, but just to get the oil flowing in the morning and i let it idle at most for 2 to 3 minutes. is there any way to reset the ECU or something? i use 87 octane gas btw

We average 12.3 to 12.8 every tank unless it's a long road trip. It get driven 14 miles a day one way city driving about 30min. - 45min. 35-40MPH and then driven highway home 60-65MPH. You need to realize gas mileage statements are like assholes, everyone has one but they are all different :dunno:

We average 12.3 to 12.8 every tank unless it's a long road trip. It get driven 14 miles a day one way city driving about 30min. - 45min. 35-40MPH and then driven highway home 60-65MPH. You need to realize gas mileage statements are like assholes, everyone has one but they are all different :dunno:

I get a consistent 12.5 or so in town with lots of stop-and-go driving. I get between 17.5-19 with TRUE highway driving.

I can't say there is something wrong with the truck, because there are too many variables...driving style, environment, how far you drive on a regular basis, how many stops, idle time, remote start usage, etc, etc. But that does sound low. I rarely get less than 13 with my 2007 Vmax with in town usage. I have when it's been colder, I drive it really hard, I let is sit and run a lot and so on.

Have you tried calculating your mileage manually? And do you reset your DIC at each fill up?

:dunno: !!

Also on your next full tank of gas. Try driving it where when your in the city and not let it go over 2000 rpms. If your gas mileage improves a lot, then it's probably driving style. I know in my truck, just doing one WOT to 60 mph will lower my over all MPG by 1 or 2 in one take of gas.

i have an appointment tomorrow with my dealer to get some things fixed, should i bring it to their attention? i have a feeling they are gunna blow me off

What's it going to hurt? I would at least let them know.

Archived