"over-active" Lifters On Smoking 2009 Silverado 5.3l Afm

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So WHERE is the GM RECALL on the 5.3 AFM Engine? GM Needs to remove the AFM and retune the computer. What a bunch of Sh!t... I'll end up being forced to trade in this truck at the 50K mile warranty mark for this manufacturers engine design mistake...

Ron

Just because you got a lemon doesn't mean GM needs to do a recall. Recalls are for safety issues, not a statistical blip of vehicles which encounter a problem that is completely correctable by GM dealer service departments.

Statistical Blip... Now that's Funny... Unless you are in that select group... Is there a correction other than trying a new set of AFM lifters again? Have the AFM lifters been improved? Hope you don't join us in our blip.

Statistical Blip... Now that's Funny... Unless you are in that select group... Is there a correction other than trying a new set of AFM lifters again? Have the AFM lifters been improved? Hope you don't join us in our blip.

Don't be an idiot. Have some perspective. :P

Exactly, there are tons of us on here with AFM and we have no issues. So it's a very small percentage, if they've revised the lifters and you got them replaced, then no problem.

Exactly, there are tons of us on here with AFM and we have no issues. So it's a very small percentage, if they've revised the lifters and you got them replaced, then no problem.

I agree. Not every owner is on this forum. But as in the users on this forum it seems like the % of ppl with this prob is a little high.

I agree. Not every owner is on this forum. But as in the users on this forum it seems like the % of ppl with this prob is a little high.

As a general rule, forum members are the "vocal minority" and are either extremely happy with, or extremely displeased with, their ownership experience. I would venture to guess that at least SOME of the people here who have experienced the problem with lifters only joined here after hearing the noise and seeking assistance to find out if anyone could tell them what was happening.

As a general rule, forum members are the "vocal minority" and are either extremely happy with, or extremely displeased with, their ownership experience. I would venture to guess that at least SOME of the people here who have experienced the problem with lifters only joined here after hearing the noise and seeking assistance to find out if anyone could tell them what was happening.

As for the AFM issue, My service manager says," I checked several of them in the workshop and they all have the same cold start noise". How many you think are setting in the workshop, 100?, NO, may be 10-20?!, all of them are in the workshop for regular service except mine. Lots of people don't care, lots of them don't realize! that they have a problem until later later...!, and lots of them they get fouled by the service manager lies!.

I am not saying he is telling me the truth!

That's the game!

GM management needs to act on this before it is too late!, I paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for a product with a defect. GM is afraid that if it allows dealers to disable AFM, that it will reflect very bad on the company!, that's true!, but there is away which is to update the PCM to make it an OPTION for the customer through the DIC like any other option!, Also, they need expedite availability of the the redesigned lifters.

Exactly, there are tons of us on here with AFM and we have no issues.

Yet. :P

At 35,000 miles I don't foresee having an issue since most of the people with problems had them a lot earlier, and most of the issues look like '09s and there was a guy with a 6.0L without AFM. So I don't see it happening.

Despite all that has been said, I anticipate seeing more and more of these AFM issues. For those who have been around here for 5+ years like I have you always see the trend starting off with just a few trucks, then more and more folks have the problem. For example, the Slip Yoke clunk in the GMT-800s, Cold Start Knock, rust issues, (minor) fuel sending unit going kablooey (fuel pump and fuel level sensor) AC/Delco battery woes...

Fact of the matter is that our vehicles are mechanical devices. Mechanical devices have flaws, despite how much $$$ you invest and how much you may think that because your paying big $$$ for a product it should not have these problems. Even the most expensive vehicles out there have issues. It's a fact of life. Get used to it.

Hello all.

I'm a long time Chevy fan and I have a 2009 Silverado with the LC9 5.3L engine and it DOES HAVE THIS SMOKING PROBLEM. It has also had lifter noise on startup a couple of times now. The dealer replaced the valve covers today but that didnt fix the smoking problem. He wanted to replace the lifters today, but I wanted to try the valve covers in case they were the cause. They werent...

I will follow up on this post once they replace the lifters. Currently I have 5700 miles and the trucks smokes badly on startup.

Don't be an idiot. Have some perspective. :lol:

You may be one of the lucky ones, or maybe your having disabled DOD is helping you (you still have the weak lifters though, correct?). Time will eventually tell who the statistical blips are.

Personally, I think the OP has plenty of perspective. He knows he's not alone in paying for an LTZ that smokes like a 25-y.o. truck because of a design flaw that is unique to GMT900 engines. You didn't see owners of new GMT800 trucks posting pics like these:

Startup2.jpg

Hello all.

I'm a long time Chevy fan and I have a 2009 Silverado with the LC9 5.3L engine and it DOES HAVE THIS SMOKING PROBLEM. It has also had lifter noise on startup a couple of times now. The dealer replaced the valve covers today but that didnt fix the smoking problem. He wanted to replace the lifters today, but I wanted to try the valve covers in case they were the cause. They werent...

I will follow up on this post once they replace the lifters. Currently I have 5700 miles and the trucks smokes badly on startup.

Sorry to hear this Silver 09. The new lifters (improved or not) seem to be the only cure at present. Sorry you have joined me in the Statistical Blip.

Ron

Archived