If Ya Couldn't Have A Gm

Garrett Street

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...

I like the Titan's, a lot, but too many problems. Horrid gas mileage, TINY rear end that I had nothing but problems with in a WRANGLER, can't imagine it in a full size... Not to mention the previous brake problems etc. etc. Lots of cool features, too much to be weary of. Pass.

Toyota? Nice truck, butt ugly, but nice truck. Heard sporadic problems, nothing insane. Priced out of my pay grade though. Pass (unless I could afford a nice TRD).

Dodge. Horrid mpg, nothing but problems with previous Dodge's and Jeeps, ZERO good Dodge dealers in my area, and a few friends with NBS Dodge's that STILL have a lot of problems. TRX is a good lucking truck, but pass.

Ford. SYNC is awesome. F150 FX4 is nice, Raptor is awesome. No discounts on Raptor's, even supplier discounts don't count. That's a pass. 5.4 is a joke, and Ford has WAY too many problems with that 4R75 transmission of theirs. Pass. Diesel? Anyone that buys a Ford Diesel right now has problems. Every single one since they dropped the 7.3 has had massive problems, and the new one is too new to trust it. Pass.

Honestly, if there was no GM, I guess I would have a Tundra with extended warranty for the trans (assuming I could get a decently optioned truck with a bench seat) or a foreign SUV with a mid size V8 and a utility trailer, plus a nice new side by side with a dump body.

I'll just continue to love my Silverado and keep GM in my prayers :-D

Well...

I like the Titan's, a lot, but too many problems. Horrid gas mileage, TINY rear end that I had nothing but problems with in a WRANGLER, can't imagine it in a full size... Not to mention the previous brake problems etc. etc. Lots of cool features, too much to be weary of. Pass.

Toyota? Nice truck, butt ugly, but nice truck. Heard sporadic problems, nothing insane. Priced out of my pay grade though. Pass (unless I could afford a nice TRD).

Dodge. Horrid mpg, nothing but problems with previous Dodge's and Jeeps, ZERO good Dodge dealers in my area, and a few friends with NBS Dodge's that STILL have a lot of problems. TRX is a good lucking truck, but pass.

Ford. SYNC is awesome. F150 FX4 is nice, Raptor is awesome. No discounts on Raptor's, even supplier discounts don't count. That's a pass. 5.4 is a joke, and Ford has WAY too many problems with that 4R75 transmission of theirs. Pass. Diesel? Anyone that buys a Ford Diesel right now has problems. Every single one since they dropped the 7.3 has had massive problems, and the new one is too new to trust it. Pass.

Honestly, if there was no GM, I guess I would have a Tundra with extended warranty for the trans (assuming I could get a decently optioned truck with a bench seat) or a foreign SUV with a mid size V8 and a utility trailer, plus a nice new side by side with a dump body.

Surprised, you're the first to say a Tundra would be your second choice. I just can't get past it's looks (Inside and Out) and it's obvious corner cutting methods. The details are what gets me. 5 lug wheels, stamped parts rather than forged and that flimsy frame. Shame on you Toyota! Plus, my girlfriends dad just spend 780 bucks on some harness for the T-Case on his 08 Tundra. 650 bucks a month and it doesn't even have power seats. He wants desperately bad to get something else but can't get out from under it. Shame, GM has some great deals right now.

Well...

Surprised, you're the first to say a Tundra would be your second choice. I just can't get past it's looks (Inside and Out) and it's obvious corner cutting methods. The details are what gets me. 5 lug wheels, stamped parts rather than forged and that flimsy frame. Shame on you Toyota! Plus, my girlfriends dad just spend 780 bucks on some harness for the T-Case on his 08 Tundra. 650 bucks a month and it doesn't even have power seats. He wants desperately bad to get something else but can't get out from under it. Shame, GM has some great deals right now.

Well, remember that we are hypothetically compromising here. I think most of us have been GM people before what we own now. I'm sure Toyota's bed hopping would drive me crazy and what not. I have some people that have NBS Tundra's and have no problems. Some with things that should never break. Thus the extended warranty. The older Tundra's were more solid I think. Yea, the body style is hideous. I will agree with you on that. When it comes down to it though, given the other current choices, I'd rather have something that MIGHT be reliable but ugly, than something pretty that's pretty much guaranteed to have problems. The Tundra's are the only ones that I know of that don't have huge reliability problems (like bad transmissions/rear ends etc.), but like I said, some of the Tundra's problems would drive me nuts quick. Mostly the looks and the bed bounce.

Well...

Well, remember that we are hypothetically compromising here. I think most of us have been GM people before what we own now. I'm sure Toyota's bed hopping would drive me crazy and what not. I have some people that have NBS Tundra's and have no problems. Some with things that should never break. Thus the extended warranty. The older Tundra's were more solid I think. Yea, the body style is hideous. I will agree with you on that. When it comes down to it though, given the other current choices, I'd rather have something that MIGHT be reliable but ugly, than something pretty that's pretty much guaranteed to have problems. The Tundra's are the only ones that I know of that don't have huge reliability problems (like bad transmissions/rear ends etc.), but like I said, some of the Tundra's problems would drive me nuts quick. Mostly the looks and the bed bounce.

My girlfriends father has one and, had he not had the extended warranty, it would be a money pit. Nothing major has gone wrong. Just way too many small things. For instance. The sensor on the transfer case went out 2 weeks ago, 4hi still worked, 4low would not and the light in the dash wouldn't work. Replaced the sensor and reprogrammed the truck and voila. He goes to pay the bill and 780 bucks before warranty! Warranty covered all but 50 bucks so he was saved. It's been a few things like that plus the fuel mileage is horrible. All in all, he's not happy with his truck. He's looking to get back into a Ford here soon. I'm trying to get him into a Sierra but, no dice. :lol:

Well...

My girlfriends father has one and, had he not had the extended warranty, it would be a money pit. Nothing major has gone wrong. Just way too many small things. For instance. The sensor on the transfer case went out 2 weeks ago, 4hi still worked, 4low would not and the light in the dash wouldn't work. Replaced the sensor and reprogrammed the truck and voila. He goes to pay the bill and 780 bucks before warranty! Warranty covered all but 50 bucks so he was saved. It's been a few things like that plus the fuel mileage is horrible. All in all, he's not happy with his truck. He's looking to get back into a Ford here soon. I'm trying to get him into a Sierra but, no dice. :lol:

Yea. I know a lot of people that have other newer trucks (09/10/11) that all want out of them. Bad. Nissan's, Toyota's, Ford's, Dodges. Every single person I know that has something other than a GM wants out of their truck, except a few with Toyota's. I don't know ANYONE with a F150 or Ram that doesn't want to get rid of them. Everyone with a Chevy is relatively happy. Little things bug them, but nothing to make them wanna sell em. Ram is mostly having LOTS of problems, and F150 guys always complain about lack of power, horrid MPG, and constant transmission problems.

suprised to see so many people would choose a dodge over a ford

I had a 2006 F150 KR 4x4 that I loved except for the engine. I'd definitely go back now that they have Sync and some real engine choices. Though I think I'd have to drive the 3.5EB and the 6.2 back-to-back before I could decide on one.

Now for some strange reason, I was thinking of getting a used Frontier with the V6 and Nismo pkg and then getting a 2011 Mustang GT for fun. These threads get me thinking bad thoughts... :lol:

I had a 2006 F150 KR 4x4 that I loved except for the engine. I'd definitely go back now that they have Sync and some real engine choices. Though I think I'd have to drive the 3.5EB and the 6.2 back-to-back before I could decide on one.

Now for some strange reason, I was thinking of getting a used Frontier with the V6 and Nismo pkg and then getting a 2011 Mustang GT for fun. These threads get me thinking bad thoughts... :lol:

New body frontier is a NICE driving truck, with the 4.0L. It was the full size like mpg and lack of a bench seat in EC form that turned me off. I don't like consoles, I prefer the GM LT style 40 20 40 bench with lid and underseat storage. My silvy gets better mpg than the two nbs frontiers I know. I looked at them hard though. Nice trucks. Dunno about reliability, don't know enough people with them and I stopped working for nissan before the new body style came out.

Don't get me started on the composite Tacoma beds that crack if you load a quad/dirt bike/motorcycle and strap it down. Last I heard, Toyota dealers had a procesure for adding reinforced tie downs to allow you to use the bed. I have a family memebr in WV that wont take his Tacoma up in the hills anymore cause the bed cracked from flexing (we guess). The old bodys were nice though, with the exception of the rusting problem and anemic 3.4

I too have thought about a previous generation Nissan Frontier. I've said it once and I'll say it again, the Frontier is the best midsize truck out there. It beats the Tacoma at everything except having a bunch of useless packages where the only difference is a sticker. The Frontier has a fully boxed frame, powerful V6 and a better interior. I like the Frontier. But what I like most is that it's not a Toyota. :uhoh:

Archived