Photo
- - - - -

99' Silverado Headlight Will Not Shut Off During The Day.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 silverado man

silverado man

Chevy Like A Rock

• 2,402 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

My 99' Silverado Headlight will not shut off during the day and turn on the DRL's. Does anyone know what might be the problem? Also does anyone have the wiring diagram for the headlight/DRL circuit?

Shawnee_Mission.gif

'99 Silverado 1500 x-cab Z71, Dark Metallic Copper, LS, Leather seats, K&N FIPK, Amber DRL's, remote start, tinted windows, R&D Accessories, GM-Trucks Decal, RF Punch 200.4 amp, JL Audio 10W6, and more mods to come
Silverado Man's Website

Mike

#2 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 26 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Automatic headlamp sensor...... Probably died.

Jbo

#3 silverado man

silverado man

Chevy Like A Rock

• 2,402 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Is it easy to get to it in the dash?

Shawnee_Mission.gif

'99 Silverado 1500 x-cab Z71, Dark Metallic Copper, LS, Leather seats, K&N FIPK, Amber DRL's, remote start, tinted windows, R&D Accessories, GM-Trucks Decal, RF Punch 200.4 amp, JL Audio 10W6, and more mods to come
Silverado Man's Website

Mike

#4 USMdude

USMdude

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,702 posts
  • Name:Jbo
  • Drives:1999 GMC Sierra

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

Never changed one in a full size.... couple s-10s and they were quite easy.

Or you could just enjoy not having to change the drl bulbs....

Jbo

#5 tesnoboy

tesnoboy

Enthusiast

• 277 posts
  • Drives:1999 SIERRA 1500 SLE EXT CAB

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:06 PM

Never changed one in a full size.... couple s-10s and they were quite easy.

Or you could just enjoy not having to change the drl bulbs....

Jbo

I used this procedure that I found on another forum. Works great , otherwise you have to take the dash apart to change that stupid sensor. I like controlling my lights manually much better. ;-)
To disable the auto headlights you need a 1.5K ohm resistor 1/2 watt(Radio Shack) and 2 Scotchlok Tap Connectors (Walmart).

First locate the Body Control Module (BCM) which is under the dash, below the steering column. Laying on the floor, this should be visible without removing any dash panels. You should find a purple connector (C3). Unplug it.

Locate the white and gray wires (A4 and A6). I don't remember if white is A4 and gray is A6 or vice versa. It doesn't matter anyway. BTW - there are two gray wires in the connector. The one you want is the one farthest away from the white wire.
A4 is the gray wire.
Tap the gray wire from the plug (C3) to one end of the resistor and the white wire to the other end. You don't need to cut the wires. Make sure you tape up all wires to prevent a short. You should now have a gray wire coming from C3 tapped to one lead of the resistor and the white wire from C3 tapped to the other resistor lead *. Plug C3 back into the BCM. Start the truck and make sure the lights are off. Throw a dark towel or something over the light sensor on the dash and verify the lights stay off. Try your light switch that has probably never been used and that's it! Takes about 5 minutes.

*You can add a switch here if you want. Just connect one end of the resistor to one of the wires in the connector (doesn't matter which one) and the other end of the resistor to one side of the switch. Then connect a wire from the other side of the switch to the other wire in the connector. This will allow you to turn Twilight Mode on and off, however there will be some delay because the bcm only checks the sensor every 30 seconds

Posted Image

#6 silverado man

silverado man

Chevy Like A Rock

• 2,402 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Great thanks guys I see if I can do one of the fixes soon when I have time.

Shawnee_Mission.gif

Silverado Man's Website

Mike

#7 19silverado99

19silverado99

Enthusiast

• 1 posts
  • Drives:1999 silverado Ext cab 4x4 5.3

Posted 04 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

Mine's doing the same thing, ill try the manual override thing is there a video or some type of link to see how this is done? thx

Every time you idiot proof something, they just make a better idiot.

#8 white1500

white1500

Enthusiast

• 653 posts
  • Drives:2000 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:00 AM

I have the same issues so now I turn my low beams off manually every day. Ideally I would like to have my drl's back but I don't want to dig into the dash.

5.3L, 3:73 gears, and 2WD.

#9 Nationalminer84

Nationalminer84

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,861 posts
  • Drives:2010 GMC Sierra

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

nice tip

2010 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab Z71 5.3 4x4- Motor City Edition, Extang Tonneau, GM 2-way Remote Start, Aftermarket Heated Seats,Lund hood Shield, GM Vent Visors, Pioneer AVH-3300BT HU with XM Tuner,K&N Filter, GMC Hitch Cover, Bedmat, Tow Mirrors, Regency White Faced Gauges, Billet Grille, CF Dash Kit, 2" Level, Edge Insight Monitor, Stainless Wheel Well trim, Vision Warrior Wheels with BFG's -2014 Chevrolet Malibu-1LT,Crystal Red Tintcoat 5% Tint

239287.png

#10 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,770 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have the same issues so now I turn my low beams off manually every day. Ideally I would like to have my drl's back but I don't want to dig into the dash.

Removing the dash cover is nothing

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#11 white1500

white1500

Enthusiast

• 653 posts
  • Drives:2000 Silverado 1500 Ext. Cab

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:03 PM

After removing the doors and window control cover they were never the same, I'm not going to risk the dash. Creaks are abundant as it is. lol

5.3L, 3:73 gears, and 2WD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users