2014 Toppers, Caps, Campers

Going to look at a Topper from Craigslist today. Anyone have any on their 2014+ from previous trucks? This one measures out correctly but still apprehensive about putting something on that's not 100% correct fitment. Any help is appreciated and Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all our Veterans on the forum. ??

Going to look at a Topper from Craigslist today. Anyone have any on their 2014+ from previous trucks? This one measures out correctly but still apprehensive about putting something on that's not 100% correct fitment. Any help is appreciated and Happy Memorial Day Weekend to all our Veterans on the forum.

I have a post bookmarked showing a 07-13 shell on a 14+ truck on my computer but I don't have access to it right now to link to it but hopefully you can search for it but if I remember right it fit but the angle of the back of the cab is quite different. The new trucks are nearly vertical but the previous trucks have a bit of an angle to them. Not obvious looking at the trucks but is when you put the old shell on a new truck.

I went through the same thing and ended buying a new shell which are way over priced. I did find a few used shells for 14+ trucks by calling shell dealers in a large metro area a couple hours away, even found one the right color but I wanted one with the frameless Windows so that is why I bought a new one. Those dealers do more volume so they get used ones but you just have to be ready to buy if you find one. I also had the ability to paint it myself if need be so that helped me. If you had to pay someone to paint them it might be better to buy a new one depending which model you buy.. The used I found were usually $600-800

Well I went and met the guy this morning and it fit well enough for my occasional use. Fits great front to back but the rear of the bed is narrower by an inch or two than the front so it's not perfectly flush side to side. I also have to trim the back door to clear the trucks tailgate and reinstall the weather strip. If you are planning on permanently mounting it I would buy a new correct one hands down. For weekend occasional use it will get the job done.

• Like 1

Well I went and met the guy this morning and it fit well enough for my occasional use. Fits great front to back but the rear of the bed is narrower by an inch or two than the front so it's not perfectly flush side to side. I also have to trim the back door to clear the trucks tailgate and reinstall the weather strip. If you are planning on permanently mounting it I would buy a new correct one hands down. For weekend occasional use it will get the job done.

Well I got here too late but was going to tell you that. The caps for the 2014+ trucks are designed differently (not just the dimensions but they have a lip all the way around that wraps down over the sides and covers the black bed rail caps). If you are leaving it on permanently or removing it very often go with the new ones designed to fit. Also the bed rails have a little more "arch" from front to back on the new trucks so if you pull your cap down tight keep an eye on the fiberglass since it will eventually start to splinter (the bottom rail of the older caps is flatter than the newer ones).

Hope this all makes sense ...

It all makes sense and thanks for the information. I used thick foam along the perimeter of the bed rails that when tightening down the clamps basically leveled out the cap. I trimmed the back door yesterday and now it shuts tight. I may trim a bit more and add a piece of rubber as added piece of mind for keeping water out.

I'll only use the cap 3 times a year so it'll get the job done for now. Worse case is the fiberglass cracks and I cut it up with a sawzall and order a new one next year. Just wasn't looking to spend 2500 right now.

• 2 months later...

Anyone have the remote keyless lock system on an ARE Z topper? wonder how you like?

I can tell you on Tuesday. I'm getting my z series installed Tuesday morning with remote keyless lock, dual LED rope lights with prop switch and drop in slider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catman,

I have the remote lock on my topper and I like it. I didn't want to have to carry another key on the ring nor did I want the conundrum of - "did I lock the topper"? question each time I parked the truck. Getting old. Worth it to ME.

Here's how my Snugtop is set up and what I recommend:

Keyless entry on the back glass. One touch of the fob and the truck is completely unlocked. I wouldn't have it any other way. Have the installers do this so you don't need to worry about it later when you get sick of using a key every time.

Dome light hard wired to battery, door switch on the back glass. Open the hatch, light comes on. Having to go into the cab and hit a switch would drive me nuts. A switch in the back where it's easy to reach would certainly be better than the cab but the door switch on the back glass is perfect. Again I'd have the installers do this.

From there, I wired the stock bed lights, the extra set of stock bed lights I added as well as the aftermarket set of bed lights I added all to the same power/switch as the dome light in the shell. That much light back there makes it really easy to find anything in the dark. Just open the hatch and it's like daylight in there. One dome light in the shell isn't enough IMHO. I wouldn't expect your installers would want to do this so you'll probably have to do it yourself.

Now, if you commonly use the bed lights to check on things in the bed from the cab when you're driving down the road (dog back there or something) you could always leave one or two sets hooked up to the cab switch and wire the others to the dome light. The aftermarket LED's are so cheap and so good these days there's no reason to be stingy and only have one set.

• Like 2

763d6ee664b56dc80290443df73c01a3.jpg5b8f761cd53fa17983bd096e7baf326a.jpg

Got an ARE Z series topper installed today. Keyless entry on the rear glass tilt down slider up front and dual LED rope lights with prop switch. Think I'll like it. I know it will come in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2