Power Steering

I live in Oklahoma and i have a 2014 Chevrolet silverado. I have the v-6 and its a quad cab, it does not have to Z71 package. the problem i am having is when the temperature drops below freezing, the power steering does not work. You get a message that says service power steering. Well i did that two weeks ago when it was 19 degrees outside. I was told Gm put out a bulletin saying the computer needed to be reprogrammed. Later that day it was fixed and i have not had a problem until this weekend.The temps are below freezing and well i have no power steering. Is anyone else having this problem.post-124648-0-29595700-1385323958_thumb.jpg

post-124648-0-29595700-1385323958_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Rick, I'm in Guthrie, OK and haven't been out today but was out Friday and Saturday when it was below freezing and didn't have this problem. I do have it in the garage, but it was outside for a few hours on Friday and Saturday.

Edited to add, I need to make a signature but as an FYI, I have 2014 AT SLT Double cab, so I do have the V8 and not the 6, but don't know if that's a factor.

OkieDavid I am not sure if the garage makes a difference or not but, The dealership acted like i am not the only one with this problem but i will attempt to take it in tomorrow. All i know is i cant go all winter with the truck. I will post after it gets serviced and let everyone know what the issue is.

I got the power steering message too yesterday and I'm in Florida....not even close to freezing. Was driving to work when it happened. A few other warning lights came on too but the power steering warning stayed on my dash.

When was yours built? I wonder if a certain batch of trucks has this issue and the rest of us are fine.

I had problems the day after I bought my truck, the power steering message came up on the display and I could hardly turn the wheel when the truck was running. I called the dealer they brought out a new truck for me to drive for 6 days while they replaced the power steering rack assembly. The dealer had to call the GM tech-line to get it figured out then took 4 days to get the assembly. This was three weeks ago and the truck works great now wi no further problems.

I had problems the day after I bought my truck, the power steering message came up on the display and I could hardly turn the wheel when the truck was running. I called the dealer they brought out a new truck for me to drive for 6 days while they replaced the power steering rack assembly. The dealer had to call the GM tech-line to get it figured out then took 4 days to get the assembly. This was three weeks ago and the truck works great now wi no further problems.

Thank you for the information , i am dropping my truck off in the morning to the dealer. They just keep telling me they dont know why this is going on. The temps may not have a thing to do with it, maybe it just my luck this only happens when its cold outside. lol

Thank you for the information , i am dropping my truck off in the morning to the dealer. They just keep telling me they dont know why this is going on. The temps may not have a thing to do with it, maybe it just my luck this only happens when its cold outside. lol

Hey slickrick373,

We hope everything went well at the dealership, and that they're able to address the steering concerns you are having. If there's anything we can do to try and help with this matter, please feel free to send us a private message.

Amber N. (assisting Jennifer)

GM Customer Care

Well i finally heard back from the dealership today. They said after calling Gm they have the answer. GM told them for no reason should i be driving the truck until its fixed, ( even though i had to insist they give me a loner ) they would rather me schedule an appointment. Well it seems my truck does not seem to break down on a schedule. Anyways Gm told them they need to replace the power steering rack assembly. I should have it back maybe end of next week. Thank you for everyone's comments, they have all been helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in Oklahoma and i have a 2014 Chevrolet silverado. I have the v-6 and its a quad cab, it does not have to Z71 package. the problem i am having is when the temperature drops below freezing, the power steering does not work. You get a message that says service power steering. Well i did that two weeks ago when it was 19 degrees outside. I was told Gm put out a bulletin saying the computer needed to be reprogrammed. Later that day it was fixed and i have not had a problem until this weekend.The temps are below freezing and well i have no power steering. Is anyone else having this problem.attachicon.gif2014 chevy.jpg

This same thing is happening to me! I'm up in michigan, same description you gave except it seems this only happens to my truck when I remote start it.. I took it in and they ran that update you mentioned.. the very next day the power steering was not working again! Very frustrating.

Archived