How-To: GMT900 Cargo Light Mod.

elcompalaline

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just as a preventative measure, I'd recommend at least taping up that tan/brown stripe wire, the one that goes into the junction block, you wouldn't want that to come into contact with something metal and short out.

You might want to check the add-a-circuit fuse holder on what it is rated for. I thought that most of them were rated for 10 amps TOTAL. Not sure I would feel comfortable having a maximum of 40 amps potentially running through it.

It came with differently rated ones in the package, I tried it with one 20A and it did not work. Then put in a 20A in one slot and a 5A in the other slot so it would work. Well it blew the 5A when I tested it because I accidentally plugged in the wiring backwards. So after that I just put in another 20A and it was good.

What I had also thought about was that maybe one slot in the Add-a-circuit was to replace the original minifuse and the second for the new "circuit" you would be adding. Thats just what came to my mind and I could be wrong. The paper work included in the box was trashed so I can't go over it even if I wanted to.

Just as a preventative measure, I'd recommend at least taping up that tan/brown stripe wire, the one that goes into the junction block, you wouldn't want that to come into contact with something metal and short out.

Yes, the cut end of the wire was taped off properly and the new connection was taped up as well.

Same plugs as brims shows on his included schematic diagrams (post #16 on the other thread), X6 pin2 (BCM) to X12 pin6 (junction box). White wire with black stripe was sticking out away from the bundle; I took that as a sign and cut it. Hooked it all up and it worked like a champ! I put my switch in the right side of the panel with my DIC switch. Much thanks to elcompaLalo and brims for this helpful mod!

Oh, another thing: the cover for the junction box is a real pain-in-the-*ss to get off because of the ribbed "fastener" in the center. Pull it out; there are hooks on the bottom and sides of the cover that hold it on securely and it will be easier to remove the cover the next time you need access.

Great mod! 2009 trucks use the white wire with the black stripe. Works as advertised!

Really, but the wire's location is the same right?

It was in the same location for mine, also white with black stripe, 08' Sierra

Archived