2008 Silverado 1500 11.5 Mpg

I have a 2008 SIlverado 5.3L 1500. For some reason I am getting terrible gas milage over the past 6 weeks or so. I drive all city right now, which I know has a part to play in it, but is 11.5mpg for city usual? I feel like it should be hanging out around 15 mpg? Any suggestions? I was thinking it could be the gas considering I have been filling up at a really convenient station a mile from me every time for the past 2 months or so. What are your opinions on a cold air intake to potentially increase mpg? Any suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

In the cold climate that I live in here in ND the 11.5 mpg for city driving is not unreasonable. As summer comes, things warm up, they switch to summer blend gasoline, the gas mileage will improve. It seems I get the best mileage when it is the hottest weather. Winter weather is not good as highway mileage suffers too.

In the cold climate that I live in here in ND the 11.5 mpg for city driving is not unreasonable. As summer comes, things warm up, they switch to summer blend gasoline, the gas mileage will improve. It seems I get the best mileage when it is the hottest weather. Winter weather is not good as highway mileage suffers too.

What does the alcohol in the fuel do? And they have different gas types for winter and summer? I am babying this thing and its almsot the same as when I get on her (take off from red lights and don't worry about gas)

Definitely switch fuel for starters. Try to buy from "Top Tier" fuel locations.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Can you really notice a difference from the gas alone?

You can if you're buying crappy gas. Just by avoiding ethanol fuels I get 1.5- 2 mpg more. It's easy to find non-ethanol fuel here.

Just switch to another fueling place with a different brand and see what happens. With your first post you lead us to believe that you noticed the mpg drop after fueling at your new location. May not be your problem, but it's a place to start

I'm getting more than 16mpg on both of mine with the same type of driving. Drive past two close stations to get to Shell without alcohol.

Do you mean Shell has -zero- alcohol in it, or do you mean it is not the E85 blend?

Shells around here have ethanol. I've haven't found a station around me that sells gas without ethanol. 11.5 is not normal even in cold weather or using fuel with ethanol in it (about 10% ethanol is normal around here), IMO.

Shells around here have ethanol. I've haven't found a station around me that sells gas without ethanol. 11.5 is not normal even in cold weather or using fuel with ethanol in it (about 10% ethanol is normal around here), IMO.

I heard somewhere that some states have required that all gas stations use at least E10 now, dunno how true that is, but I wouldn't doubt it.

Go to Pure Gas, its a pretty handy site for finding stations without any ethanol. Most of the Chevrons in my town use 100% pure gas so if I don't go with E85, I stick with them. I get 16.5 on the DIC, and drive 70city/30hwy. On E85 I get about 12-13mpg..

Archived