Advent OGM-1 Owners: New feature requests?

Advent OGM-1 Owner's Poll  

115 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Here are a few of my ideas, from using the system for a day....

Would like to have a small bar that tells information about the source i'm playing when viewing the navi map. Whatever channel, station etc I am on..

Normalize volume between sources - Seems like switching between them gives drastic volume level differences.

Direct connection in the harness to the factory mini-usb cable so I can use my factory glove box mounted iPod port

Two rca outs for sub instead of one. Most good aftermarket decks & amps have a left and right channel sub output

Redesign of the Menu / Source page, or ability to reskin these. Most of the menus look pretty professional and factory looking, but the one with all the source icons looks goofy and the icons aren't consistent with each other.

Ability to navigate the iPod menus / artists etc with the up and down arrows on the steering wheel and the right tuning knob on the radio. This is a must when you have tons of artists, songs and genres on your iPod. The factory deck does this!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple more I thought of.

You should be able to set your EQ preset and it should remember it for each source. This is a big one. AM is typically almost all talk, and it sucks having to change the EQ back to something good for music or listening to talk radio blasted out with a ton of bass.

Also, would be nice if the navi button went straight to the full screen map. Even if it had to be after the splash screen...This is more useful than having to accept terms and still showing the large map afterwards. And hitting the navi button again when in any type of navi related menu should take you back to the full screen map again. Most aftermarket navigation units have a similar function to this as well.

I am on the fence about purchasing this unit. What I'd would like to know is if there is any hint at offering the ability to use user made screens and skins? Some of the screens could look a lot better in my opinion. It wouldn't be hard for a user to make some custom artwork and locations of buttons in an external file for example.

I am on the fence about purchasing this unit. What I'd would like to know is if there is any hint at offering the ability to use user made screens and skins? Some of the screens could look a lot better in my opinion. It wouldn't be hard for a user to make some custom artwork and locations of buttons in an external file for example.

I seriously doubt they'll open the menus up to customization. It would open a massive can of worms IMO.

Would be nice to be able to adjust the chime volume as well. Sucks that even on "loud" in the DIC isn't as loud as "normal" was with the old radio. Can barely hear my backup chimes over the radio.

Turn your radio down...lol

I seriously doubt they'll open the menus up to customization. It would open a massive can of worms IMO.

I actually talked to a couple of the main systems engineers for the "family" of Advent navis a couple weeks ago, and begged them to let us do this. I was underwhelmed by the response - they said that although it is possible to do, they have to balance the wisdom of doing it, then testing every function in every mode to make sure it didn't affect anything else, with the possibility of getting more sales because they did it. They feel it's pretty unlikely that they'll get a bump in sales from that mod based on the target audience of the deck.

I see their point, but I still want to re-skin this thing myself! I'm also certain there is a benefit in making a small portion of the OS (background graphics and menu icons) open source, and the manufacturer that allows the user to customize the interface to THEIR preferences will see a bump in sales because of it...

I actually talked to a couple of the main systems engineers for the "family" of Advent navis a couple weeks ago, and begged them to let us do this. I was underwhelmed by the response - they said that although it is possible to do, they have to balance the wisdom of doing it, then testing every function in every mode to make sure it didn't affect anything else, with the possibility of getting more sales because they did it. They feel it's pretty unlikely that they'll get a bump in sales from that mod based on the target audience of the deck.

I see their point, but I still want to re-skin this thing myself! I'm also certain there is a benefit in making a small portion of the OS (background graphics and menu icons) open source, and the manufacturer that allows the user to customize the interface to THEIR preferences will see a bump in sales because of it...

Thats what I like to hear Walt. Keep on them. In my old car I used a program called Road Runner on a small PC but the product itself was flaky. I did like how the screens were easily user customizable. They had a gui tool that would help you build it. It shouldnt be hard to do and I bet there would be people on here that would help others get what they want on their screens.

• 2 months later...

I have had my OGM1 installed for a couple of weeks and have had several long road trips using the NAV. Besides fixing some CAN rear seat control bugs, I have these suggestions:

1) red lights on unit to match GMC Acadia

2) NAV to boot up automatically (slowly in background after priority audio boots up) and automatically resume your route if you had a route in progress when unit was turned off. When you have kids, you have to stop ALOT on a long road trip. It is a pain to press the NAV, then tell it yes resume route, and then it boot up your route. It burns a lot of gas sitting there, almost reprograming it after every rest stop. This is especially true when the wife is driving and you are asleep. She stops, wont remember to restart the NAV and totally misses an exit.....not that i am speaking from experience :nonod: ........this wouldnt happen in our old suction cup garmin....it automatically resumed route after turning back on. This also screws up that neat little route time line on the left side of the display....the kids saw this first and loved it....shows on a line how much of the trip left. If you turn off the unit, it starts from scratch on the next start up....not from the start of the route.

3) Ability to view map / nav my rear monitor. The kids love to watch the map, and its free entertainment as opposed to renting movies....

Most of these have been mentioned, but here goes:

Steering Wheel Controls going to the next set of presets on XM

UI Redesign

Backup Camera Accessible without being in reverse.

Steering Wheel controls when using AD2P

Some Kind of screen saver for the AD2P module. Seriously who ever designed the whole Phone Menu never spent a day in an Industrial Design class. That section hurts my eyes and I try and avoid going into that menu.

I'd like to request tweaking of the rewind/FF controls. I listen to music on the iPhone and often use it when learning new songs for our band. When I press & hold the rewind button, there is a long delay before it does anything. Then it rewinds a very small amount a number of times. It accelerates backwards at an increasing rate and then rockets back to the beginning of the song.

If it began to rewind quicker after press/hold and moved backwards at a constant speed (say 5x or 8x) it would be much easier to control.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thats my guess too. Been over a yr since the last update.

Cant see them investing anything into a unit they stand to make no more money off. Probably pulled all developers off the project and on to new models

Hope im wrong, if not im really disappointed that they didn't see the update through to the end and also concerned about obsolescence as iphone updates continue to occur. Some iphone software update will eventually render them incompatible.

Archived