New exhaust. Regretting it.

To make a long story short, I've been saving to order a Magnaflow cat-back, but decided to put a Flo-Pro Max (got it for a super good deal) on till I could get the Magnaflow. I was told that the Flo-Pro was just a bit louder than factory and wasn't anything near a Flowmaster, Incinerator, etc. I had the day off today, so I went and had it done.

Needless to say, I absolutely don't like it. It's way, way louder than stock and sounds like I have a straight pipe on it. I can't stand it.

So, this is what has lead me to make this thread. Is there an exhaust system that is a little bit louder than stock?

When I say that, here's what I mean. On a scale of 1-10, if the stock exhaust was a 1.5, is there a system that would be around a 3-3.5? The muffler that I currently have is a strong 7.5-8.

I have a long drive to work (about 45 minutes) and the drone in the cab is pretty gnarly. What's the best (sound level wise) between exhaust systems such as Magnaflow, MBRP, Gibson, Borla, Corsa, Banks, etc.

I can't get another day off for a while to have it fixed, and I don't even want to drive the truck it's so annoyingly loud.

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Here's a link for the muffler: http://www.flopro.com/max.html

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put on a Gibson stainless single catback on mine and if stock is 1.5 the Gibson is a 2.5-3, not loud just a nice low rumble to it till you get on the gas and then would say its about a 5. The one nice thing is it didn't sound like crap with the afm. Not sure about the duals but you can give them a call and they could go through their options. That what I did and am happy with what they recommended as I tow a camper and they said the duals would be a little bothersome under constant load. They even called a few months later to make sure I liked my new system which says alot about the company.

I've really been interesting in the Corsa, Magnaflow, and Gibson. More so the Gibson and Magnaflow, but if I found a good deal, then I'd definitely try the Corsa.

What size/type of Magnaflow is best on these trucks? I've searched and found that lots of people say 14" Magnaflow, but they aren't specific as to what type of 14".

EDIT: Btw, I'm interested in side exit exhaust.

Corsa/dB is quiet in can at cruising speed/throttle but has a good bark when you romp on it. I've been very happy with mine. You can easily hear the radio at normal volume, talk to passengers, use the hands free phone/OnStar and so on without issue. I have a video with a short interior clip, if you look under the reviews section i have a thread there with the video.

Why not leave it stock?

Exactly what he said, if you want side exit then buy a muffler of your choice, there are many mufflers that are quiet , take it to a muffler shop and get it swapped in then have them put a chrome tip on the end if that's what your going for also.

I think my stock exhaust system got more mellow when I installed one of the GMC accessory SS tip extension. Rather then being just a single wall extension is is double wall and its sure seems just the addition of that made a difference that I was not even contemplating. Reason I say that is at least 3 people have commented that I changed the exhaust which I never do.

So you might be able to save yourself 100's of $ with just this extension?

17801929.jpg

Exhaust Tip - CatBack - GMC Logo, Single Exhaust, Dual Wall, Angle Cut, Highly Polished

Part Number: 17801929

Quick Overview

OE Exhaust Tip - GMC Logo, Single Exhaust, Dual Wall, Angle Cut, Highly Polished, For Use on 4.8L (LY2, L20) and 5.3L (LMG, LH6, LY5) Engines

I just put the Corsa Dual sport system on my truck a week or 2 ago. Its the only exhaust I've had besides stock so its all I know. But it actaully is quieter than I think I would like. Although I'm told it will sound a little better after it breaks in a bit. Having said that, I didn't want a loud annoying system to begin with and I still don't think mine is as loud as I would like it yet. But we'll see if it opens up a bit here soon. So you may really like the system. Plus it looks great!

Corsa hands down :thumbs:

Sound is near stock but furosious under full throttle and NOT inside the cab. The touring will be quieter than the sport but the spot sounds better in my opinion. All the noise goes out the rear and not in the cab like others.

I've really been interesting in the Corsa, Magnaflow, and Gibson. More so the Gibson and Magnaflow, but if I found a good deal, then I'd definitely try the Corsa.

What size/type of Magnaflow is best on these trucks? I've searched and found that lots of people say 14" Magnaflow, but they aren't specific as to what type of 14".

The longer the muffler, the queter it will be. I have the longes muffler magnaflow makes on mine. I think its a 28". I had a 14" on another truck and it was loud. Sometimes I liked it, but others I thought it was too loud. The one I have now is great. No drone, great rumble, quiet enough to listen to the radio or talk at highway speed, but still roar a good bit under a load.

You could just replace your muffler and keep the rest of the catback system in place.

I have an 18" Magnaflow (dual 3" in/out, dual 18" long Magnaflow tips exiting out the back). I like the deep, aggressive sound, and it actually mellowed out slightly after it was broken in. But my impression is that you wouldn't care for it (too loud, very rumbly). As others have said, a longer system is typically quieter (e.g. 22" muffler).

Also, you'll probably want to have the exhaust exit as far back as possible to reduce cab noise...but I know you said you'd like a side exit.

I've heard that Gibsons have a nice, relatively mild sound, but I don't have personal experience with them.

I've heard that Flo-Pro is prone to have a drone similar to a Flowmaster, which many people don't like. If you're willing to spend the money, I think Corsa is what you're after. A cheaper option would be to replace the Flo-Pro with a Magnaflow. If you had the 3rd catalytic converter, I'd recommend the 14" magnaflow....but since your's is a 2008 model, the 18" or 22" would probably be better for you.

Just for reference...I have 2.5" duals behind my 3rd cat, with no muffler. It sounds just plain nasty at WOT, but there's NO drone while cruising. Any time you change the flow of your exhaust (like with a cheap muffler) you take a chance of creating cab drone.

Why not leave it stock?

Exactly what he said, if you want side exit then buy a muffler of your choice, there are many mufflers that are quiet , take it to a muffler shop and get it swapped in then have them put a chrome tip on the end if that's what your going for also.

That's what I had planned to do initially, but it seems like all the local muffler shops do hack jobs. I just had my current muffler installed to hold me over till I could order a cat-back like the magnaflow or corsa.

I think my stock exhaust system got more mellow when I installed one of the GMC accessory SS tip extension. Rather then being just a single wall extension is is double wall and its sure seems just the addition of that made a difference that I was not even contemplating. Reason I say that is at least 3 people have commented that I changed the exhaust which I never do.

17801929.jpg

Exhaust Tip - CatBack - GMC Logo, Single Exhaust, Dual Wall, Angle Cut, Highly Polished

Quick Overview

OE Exhaust Tip - GMC Logo, Single Exhaust, Dual Wall, Angle Cut, Highly Polished, For Use on 4.8L (LY2, L20) and 5.3L (LMG, LH6, LY5) Engines

I had actually looked at a couple double wall tips yesterday that looked factory like, but they were all sized to small (2.25" down). I had wondered last night when typing the OP if a double walled tip would reduce some of the cab drone.

Sound is near stock but furosious under full throttle and NOT inside the cab. The touring will be quieter than the sport but the spot sounds better in my opinion. All the noise goes out the rear and not in the cab like others.

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I would like it to be around stock at idle and under 40% throttle, but then get louder when you mash on the gas. Mine sounds like I have the exhaust cut off under the rear seats right now. It almost sounds like a turn down under the cab.

The longer the muffler, the queter it will be. I have the longes muffler magnaflow makes on mine. I think its a 28". I had a 14" on another truck and it was loud. Sometimes I liked it, but others I thought it was too loud. The one I have now is great. No drone, great rumble, quiet enough to listen to the radio or talk at highway speed, but still roar a good bit under a load.

You could just replace your muffler and keep the rest of the catback system in place.

Wow, I didn't know they made a 28". I looked on their website last night, but the longest I saw was an 18". I'll definitely look more into that later after work. I wouldn't mind keeping the factory piping if I could find a local shop that could do good welds on a nice tip. Everyone's welds is really sloppy from the work I've seen, and I'm kind of OCD about stuff like that. I don't want it to look like I have a hack job coming off the back of my truck, haha.

I have an 18" Magnaflow (dual 3" in/out, dual 18" long Magnaflow tips exiting out the back). I like the deep, aggressive sound, and it actually mellowed out slightly after it was broken in. But my impression is that you wouldn't care for it (too loud, very rumbly). As others have said, a longer system is typically quieter (e.g. 22" muffler).

Also, you'll probably want to have the exhaust exit as far back as possible to reduce cab noise...but I know you said you'd like a side exit.

I've heard that Gibsons have a nice, relatively mild sound, but I don't have personal experience with them.

When I said side exit, I actually meant exiting behind the rear wheel. I really like the look of the side exit in front of the wheel, but believe it would just be too loud for me. I apologize for any confusion about that. I've listened to a ton of exhaust on YouTube, but we all know about how accurate that probably is.

The Corsa sounds like a perfect fit, but I'd like to keep my budget around $650 or so. I'd never hear the end of it if I spent $1k on exhaust.

I'd really like to hear some of these in person, but everyone around here thinks a cut-off after a Flowmaster is the way to go. I know a guy from a local dealership has the Magnaflow front side exit on his, but it'd be kind of weird for me just to show up and ask for a ride in his truck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to locate a Corsa for a good price, or for that matter, any of the above discussed exhaust?

As always, thanks for all the great input. It's very much appreciated.

Why not leave it stock?

That's what I had planned to do initially, but it seems like all the local muffler shops do hack jobs. I just had my current muffler installed to hold me over till I could order a cat-back like the magnaflow or corsa.

17801929.jpg

Quick Overview

I had actually looked at a couple double wall tips yesterday that looked factory like, but they were all sized to small (2.25" down). I had wondered last night when typing the OP if a double walled tip would reduce some of the cab drone.

That sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I would like it to be around stock at idle and under 40% throttle, but then get louder when you mash on the gas. Mine sounds like I have the exhaust cut off under the rear seats right now. It almost sounds like a turn down under the cab.

Wow, I didn't know they made a 28". I looked on their website last night, but the longest I saw was an 18". I'll definitely look more into that later after work. I wouldn't mind keeping the factory piping if I could find a local shop that could do good welds on a nice tip. Everyone's welds is really sloppy from the work I've seen, and I'm kind of OCD about stuff like that. I don't want it to look like I have a hack job coming off the back of my truck, haha.

When I said side exit, I actually meant exiting behind the rear wheel. I really like the look of the side exit in front of the wheel, but believe it would just be too loud for me. I apologize for any confusion about that. I've listened to a ton of exhaust on YouTube, but we all know about how accurate that probably is.

The Corsa sounds like a perfect fit, but I'd like to keep my budget around $650 or so. I'd never hear the end of it if I spent $1k on exhaust.

I'd really like to hear some of these in person, but everyone around here thinks a cut-off after a Flowmaster is the way to go. I know a guy from a local dealership has the Magnaflow front side exit on his, but it'd be kind of weird for me just to show up and ask for a ride in his truck.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to locate a Corsa for a good price, or for that matter, any of the above discussed exhaust?

As always, thanks for all the great input. It's very much appreciated.

Check out Summitracing.com

Thats where I got mine. It may be a 22" or I could be thinking about the total length rather than the case length. I dont have my truck at work today or Ide go measure for you. But, if you get the longest one ou can find, you will be alright.

Archived