4.8l or 5.3l?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4.8 will do fine. everyone will say get the 5.3 but if thats what you find get it. either one. performance isnt that big of a difference. just get a 3.42 or 3.73 axle. i have towed a 10,000 pound trailer with my 4.8. regularly haul an 18 ft horse trailer with 6 pigs or 2 steers. and i have the 4.8 and a 3.42 gear

I've had both.

the 4.8L will do what you describe with no problems I personally used to haul my Rancher 420 300 miles per weekend in my 2003 truck and I've hauled a friend's 16' skiff (he had not truck, but he had the boat!) many times to the landing, it did those jobs no sweat. Larger loads it can do, but you have to take your time and know your limitations.

but........

if fuel economy is your biggest factor, then you need to look again, the 4.8L in the real world gets no better economy than the 5.3L. do not let the motor (as long as it's a V8) be your biggest factor in your situation. There is way too many other factors (options, condition, mileage, etc.) when looking at used trucks that should have more precedence.

well either way he seems to be looking for a gmt-800 which they are all 4 speeds and wants the mileage. a 4.8 will do what he wants and the power between the 2 is close. gearing is what can kill mileage. a 3.73 or a 4.10 will suck the gas

Archived