Be cautious with Diablo and Jannetty Racing!

Having read all the good about Jannetty Racing I purchased a new inTune from Ted at Jannetty Racing in January for my 2011 5.3 A6 Silverado Chevy truck. I knew that transmission support was not available at the time but would be at some point later. For the time being I told Ted I would be satisfied with an engine tune that would give me a little extra horsepower. Diablo advertises 20/25 hp. Ted said 10/15 would probably be more accurate. Even 10/15 would be good.

The tune that came with the inTune caused some very serious WOT shifting issues with my tranny. Ted found one of the timing advance tables to be in error. He was able to fix that but with even less hp than my stock tune file.

I tested a couple more of his tunes but the results were less power each time. After having been a test mule for him with poor results I asked for a refund. I felt at this point I wasn't going to waste anymore of my time and fuel testing. He then recommended an SCT tuner. SCT does not advertise that the factory warranty will remain intact so I elected for a refund.

Diablo offers a 30 day full refund if not happy. Perhaps this should apply to all of Diablo's distributors. Particularly the ones like Jannetty Racing that do not know how to tune a particular vehicle. Ted only offered me a partial refund as he did not have to abide with the Diablo's policy.

Now I'm out $101.35 not to mention my time, fuel and shipping to get the inTune back to him. And yes, he did spend a lot of time trying but without success. If he was not able to give me the power promised I feel I should have gotten a full refund.

My title should read "Be cautious.....

So did you dunno test after each tune? Is he referring to timing as "horsepower"?

Mail order Tuning is far from an exact science, some trucks are just different and don't respond as well as others.

Sorry to hear that. How come if Diablo offers a full refund they didn't have to?
I believe Diablo should require their distributors to follow their guidelines on refunds the same as theirs. Jannetty's refund policy is 20% restocking even if what they sent you is defective if it's an electrical part.

So did you dunno test after each tune? Is he referring to timing as "horsepower"? Mail order Tuning is far from an exact science, some trucks are just different and don't respond as well as others.
I use HP Tuner to determine gains and losses. I've been tuning with HPT for over a dozen years now. You can determine from logs created with the correct PIDs with back to back logs if you have gained or lost power. Almost better than a dyno!

History tracking is valid on Global A vehicles and 2007.5+ Duramax trucks ONLY.

Global A vehicles are: 2010 Coverage Chevrolet Camaro Buick Lacrosse Cadillac SRX Chevrolet Equinox GMC Terrian Additional for 2011 Buick Regal Chevrolet Cruz Chevrolet Volt

History tracking is valid on Global A vehicles and 2007.5+ Duramax trucks ONLY. Global A vehicles are: 2010 Coverage Chevrolet Camaro Buick Lacrosse Cadillac SRX Chevrolet Equinox GMC Terrian Additional for 2011 Buick Regal Chevrolet Cruz Chevrolet Volt
I sure would like to change the operation of this tranny. Looks like I should probably go ahead!

Do you not want to go with an Autocal unit? Justin has tuned quite of few of these trucks with the 6-speeds, and from what I hear they are quite tricky to get right. I'd hate to see you try to do it and burn the trans up on your dime because they find a tune on the computer. People can talk all they want about them not checking calibrations in the ECM, but I would be willing to bet any powertrain failure that comes in gets a calibration check done.

Do you not want to go with an Autocal unit? Justin has tuned quite of few of these trucks with the 6-speeds, and from what I hear they are quite tricky to get right. I'd hate to see you try to do it and burn the trans up on your dime because they find a tune on the computer. People can talk all they want about them not checking calibrations in the ECM, but I would be willing to bet any powertrain failure that comes in gets a calibration check done.
Been tuning my 08 A6 Corvette for quite awhile now. Tuning is not a problem but warranty may be. So many conficting views on warranty.

I keep the original ECM and TCM in the storage area under the arm rest/middle seat. If the truck dies on the road, simply pop the hood and swap the two units. Takes maybe 2 min to do.

Archived