12V feed to camper

TRCM

Ok, I saw in another post (http://www.gm-trucks...entry1226656) where you have to connect the harness to the stud on the fuse panel to get the 12v batt feed at the trailer connector. The owners manual also mentions this, but does not show how or what.

My question is, at least on my truck, the red wire shown in the previous post is very small, don't look big enough to be charging thru. Is there another wire that needs to be connected ?

I want to use this power terminal in the harness to power some backup lights I have added to my trailer when not in reverse (normal back up light terminal works then), but right now, there is no power to it.

you need to connect that wire. how much current will you be pulling?

the fuse is 30 amp i belive. I run lights and 2 12v outlets in my slide in camper off of that circuit with no issues.

max is .75 amps per light, 2 lights.....

I was just concerned at the small wire size for the potential current present when recharging a battery (which is what that circuit is for).

The wire size looks to be the same size as regular trailer wiring.

recharging a battery?

maybe just the trailer break battery, which is quite small. not a large battery for a camper. You should be good to the fuse value the factory installs.

• 1 month later...

there are 2 posts on the front of your engine compartment fuse box. the posts are different sizes to accommodate the different red wires.

one of the red wires are bundled by the brake booster, it is the smaller ring of the 2 for the smaller post. It is the brake controller supply wire.

the 2nd wire is bundled, tucked between the fender wall and the fuse box, it is the larger ring for the larger post of the 2. this is your 12V power feed to the rear trailer 7pin. you need to purchase a 40amp (square) fuse from the dealer to activate this circuit.

You will need to get nuts for these 2 posts as well (too bad GM doesnt supply the fuse and the nuts)

This supply will charge the main battery (most trailers only have 1 12v deep cycle battery, rarely an independant emergency brake battery)

• 8 months later...

hey,i have a 2012 hd with the red wire tapped up next to the fender,i checked for power at the trailer connector and it has 12 volts there. what is the tapped up wire for if i have the voltage back there?

That red wire for the brake controller is only to be used if you have an aftermarket controller.

Mark

What doesn'y make sense is why does GM still wire these trucks that have the factory Brake Controller with the red/white wire?

Archived