I just picked up a wire feed welder, Hobart Handler 190, and have a few quetions!

1: Is there 1 brand of wire that is better than the other? Lincoln, Hobart, the wire from HF or Farm & Home? Or is it whatever is the better price? I will mostly (99.9%) be using flux core, but the welder came with the bottle reg/hose as well.

2: I have a Reliance Controls PB30 generator inlet box, and on a sticker on the inlet box it says it is for "Inlet use only", not an outlet. http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PB30 Is there any reason I can't use it for the welder? I spoke with Hobart about using a 30amp outlet, and was told the welder will pull 28 amps at max (190) setting, so I will be ok to use the 30amp plug. Last thing I want to have to do is to wire a subpanel in to give me more breaker room. Just need to wire up an adapter cord to plug the welder in.

That is all that I can think of for now!

TY!

Chris

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest lincoln! But i also work for them. What do you plan to weld? How often?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Your just biased then! Lol Sorry, couldn't resist!

In all seriousness, It was a hard decision between the HD/Lowes Lincoln 180, and the Hobart 190. I liked both, & it came down to the 190 having 7 voltage settiings. while the 180 only had 5. I just couldn't see spending the extra money for a "premium" 180 with the continuous voltage setting. I thought about a "reconditioned" model, but things like this I like a store that I can walk in to. I know I may still need to send it in if the need arises though.

A 110v, 140amp model may have even been enough, but I figured I would rather have the extra "juice" & not need it than the other way around.

I plan on repair/ "beefing up" my angle iron utility trailer, other smaller projects as well as the need/ time allows. Maybe build a 3pt set up for my Craftsman GT, etc.. Maybe even a smoker grill???? I really am thinking about a grill.

TY Tim!

Chris

For what your doing any wire would be fine. We take pride in our wire the price shows it. But look at it side by side with the others. Anyways good luck and the flux cores better if your outside welding but the gas cuts down on splater

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I like the Lincoln wire as well, but if you have a local welding supply store, you should go and see what all they have. I like using regular wire with gas too. It'll make you some pretty welds. I don't have much experience with many welders (I've mainly run Miller 252's and some Lincolns) but have used a lot of Hobart gear and really like them as well.

For what you are doing anything would work. My prefrerence is Lincoln because I've seen how their wire is made and the quailty control that they have in place. They have more R&D than most companies and have some of the brightest metallurgist employed. I also like using ESAB wire and Hobart if I had to chose something else. Just my 2 pennies.

Get the Lincoln wire, Hobart is owned and operated by miller, Hobart products are a down grade of miller products. I personally am a miller man all the way but Lincoln makes damn good products.

I purchased a Hobart 190 a few months ago to replace the old Lincoln I had for years. I couldn't beat the sale price at Tractor Supply and the machine welds great, very smooth. I'm running the Lincoln .030 wire with gas, if I'm outside and dealing with windy conditions I'll drag out the stick welder.

TY to everyone! It sounds like the 1st choice is the Lincoln wire.

I do have another question, what is the best way to store wire? While borrowing a welder before for a while, the wire (inside the machine) ended up having rust spots. Anyway to prevent this?

Brian, glad to hear you are happy with the 190 so far! This is my 1st welder, so hope it last me a long time!

TY again to all for the help!!!!

Chris

A little off topic but dang I wish I was capable to attempt welding. I tried way back in high school, it wasn't pretty...I still have my c-clamp I made it's only used to push caliper pistons in for brake jobs. It was a lot of fun trying though.

A little off topic but dang I wish I was capable to attempt welding. I tried way back in high school, it wasn't pretty...I still have my c-clamp I made it's only used to push caliper pistons in for brake jobs. It was a lot of fun trying though.

I think you could do it, I've been doing it 5 years and I still have a lot to learn. If you have a place to get scrap metal and you don't mind spending money on rods/ wire & gas, you can learn your basic welds and work your way up to small projects. It's a lot of fun, and it's a skill that everyone I work for over the summer wants.

Getting scrap metal would be mostly what I would have to line up. I know where I can get everything else. Now being able to purchase a welder that would take a little funding but I wouldn't need too big of machine. One thing I'd like to try is to make some side steps for my truck. I wouldn't mind the extra weight of some rugged steps. My original steps were good but I'd like have some that could really take a pounding or at least a tree stump like the last steps didn't.

Before I joined the military I was an iron worker wasn't much of a connector but damn I could weld my rear end off, I love it! Especially structural, arc welding with some 7018 is the best, I even got me an engine driven welder, miller bobcat 250 with a Kohler engine, pretty sweet rig! It ain't no big diesel Lincoln pipeliner, but gosh darn it could run all day every day at 100% duty cycle at its highest temperature setting and still be used as a generator at the same time. Right now it's patiently waiting for me at my parents house, until I'm done with my service.

When I was in Iraq it was discovered that I could weld better than I could turn wrenches, so there I was once again doing what I do best in Iraq! Got me a handful of awards! When I came home last year I went to my parents house and loaded my pick up with my welder, all ways wanted to be that guy driving around with his own rig (never could afford a nice truck). It was great only thing that sucked was I had no jobs nothing to weld, hahaha. It's been a while since I've burned rod Im probably rusty, soon as I get out of the service ima Get recertified and look for a job hanging steel.

My new Miller Diversion 180 tig welder came a couple of days ago, a new Miller 375 plasma is being delivered tomorrow. Of course all the goodies and consumables are coming too. Trying to teach my son to weld, so when I am gone he can do what he wants to. Going to build a new motorcycle frame shortly too. Been welding now for 57 years, boy has this new stuff come a long ways since I started out. LOL

Archived