Tire Cupping Question

tyhuck

I have noticed some tire cupping on the front tires of my truck. I went to get them ballanced and the tire tech said that the cupping is caused by being on the rear axel, so he recomended not having them rotated. I didnt feel that this was right, but I wasnt sure. The rear tires seem to be pretty evenly worn. The problem is, I bought the tires second-hand and they were cupping already, so I cant tell if they have gotten worse on my truck or not.

Would it be worth the extra money to have them rotated, or was the tech correct about the rear axel causing the cupping?

I think the tech doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. Cupping is usually caused by the front end being out of alignment. I've never heard of tires getting cupped from being on the rear of a live axle vehicle.

But if the tires do get cupped and you rotate them to the back, then back to the front, they'll probably keep cupping.

An alignment is well worth the money.

Had the truck alligned not to long ago, so it should still be in spec. Im gonna go ahead and have them rotated and see what happens. Like I said, they were cupped when I bought them.

Well, I rotated them myself this morning, so hopesfully that will wear the ones that are cupped badly a little more evenly. I know I will need new tires eventually, and that even wear on a 35 is almost impossible. I have accepted that. I just wanted to confirm that my assumption of the tire tech being wrong. Ive always heard that it was the front wheels (or rear with IRS) would be the ones to cup, since a live axel doesnt allow much movement unless your shocks are worn out.

I spent $60 to have them road-force balanced, and they shimmy worse than they did before. Gonna try to get back today and have them fix it. But, I know one thing, after they get it right (and they will or they will give me a refund, trust me) I wont be a repeat customer. Unless of course, this visit is a world of difference. $60 for a ballance is just too much for me though.

Well, I rotated them myself this morning, so hopesfully that will wear the ones that are cupped badly a little more evenly. I know I will need new tires eventually, and that even wear on a 35 is almost impossible. I have accepted that. I just wanted to confirm that my assumption of the tire tech being wrong. Ive always heard that it was the front wheels (or rear with IRS) would be the ones to cup, since a live axel doesnt allow much movement unless your shocks are worn out.

I spent $60 to have them road-force balanced, and they shimmy worse than they did before. Gonna try to get back today and have them fix it. But, I know one thing, after they get it right (and they will or they will give me a refund, trust me) I wont be a repeat customer. Unless of course, this visit is a world of difference. $60 for a ballance is just too much for me though.

buy your tires at costco I believe they rotate and balance them for free if I remember correctly would have to look at the paper i have.

Most shops around here will do that as well, but I bought these second-hand. I wanted 35s and these were the right price. Plus, they bought me a few more months without dropping the $1500 for a new set. But, I probably wont go the used tire route unless a deal like that comes back around.

rear axle causeing your tires to cup? no thats pure BS. the only reason your tires cupped is because they were or are out of alignment. you need a good alignment shop to give you an alignment and see where it goes from there. also its going to be very very hard to tell if your tires are cupping if they are already heavily cupped. i would just buy new tires and get it aligned with new tires and then watch how they wear closesly.

also, i know many people who have put steelies on fullsize truck and had nothing but issues. i know a few people with steelies and after a certain amount of miles or usage they get out of round and will obviously cause a vibration or shake or shimmy, also steelies are also easier to bend if you do moderate offroading, so as for your shimmy i would try and find a set of steelies to borrow and throw them on and see if it shakes or anything.

\

i could be wrong, i could be right, who knows, but that is just what i have heard and seen from my experiences with steelies

rear axle causeing your tires to cup? no thats pure BS. the only reason your tires cupped is because they were or are out of alignment. you need a good alignment shop to give you an alignment and see where it goes from there. also its going to be very very hard to tell if your tires are cupping if they are already heavily cupped. i would just buy new tires and get it aligned with new tires and then watch how they wear closesly.

also, i know many people who have put steelies on fullsize truck and had nothing but issues. i know a few people with steelies and after a certain amount of miles or usage they get out of round and will obviously cause a vibration or shake or shimmy, also steelies are also easier to bend if you do moderate offroading, so as for your shimmy i would try and find a set of steelies to borrow and throw them on and see if it shakes or anything.

\

i could be wrong, i could be right, who knows, but that is just what i have heard and seen from my experiences with steelies

You can get cupping from a bad shock in the front as well you guys. Pretty sure. Once tires are cupped only thing you can do try fix the cause and put the cupped tires on the back....

Cupping is usually an alignment issue or bad ball joints tho..

I would put them on the rear and then do a brakestand until you can't see out the windshield anymore from the smoke, that might get rid of the cupping. If it doesn't it will still be a great video to share with us. :thumbs:

That also might work ahah

Archived