• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you honestly trying to say that SLC has pollution issues because the vehicles there don't meet Cali standards, that they are modified due to no regulation or that they are pre-emmisions vehicles?

Either way those are all stupid hypothesis's, but feel free to keep bringing up Europe as if it somehow correlates to the US's demographics and geography.

The point is that Europe's diesels vehicles have been running DEF successfully - that's the point. Not sure how you want to make a correlation about their demographics and geography and how that has anything to do with them being ahead of the curve by 10 years on DEF. If you care to explain how the two factors you mentioned (geography and demographics) make a difference on how their diesels vehicles operate I am ready to listen.

BTW-Utah's vehicles not operating to California's clean air standards is an issue here for air pollution as well as what they allow Industry here to blow in to the air.

So the answer to that question is YES.

Nearly all vehicles pass Cali standards without being Cali vehicles, so you have no point there.

European "trucks" don't compare to US ones by any means

The geography, population density, type of vehicles, climates, hell the trees all have to do with pollution. None of those are like the US

Nearly all vehicles pass Cali standards without being Cali vehicles, so you have no point there.

The geography, population density, type of vehicles, climates, hell the trees all have to do with pollution. None of those are like the US

You just made my point. Cali truck, non cali engine and emissions system. Yet it passes the sniffer. Not all testing needs to be like California to clean pollution. The diesels I have driven never smoked nor did they have a catalyst or DEF. It all lays on the owner and tuning. My truck is tuned and passes emissions. According to CA I should have 4 cats on my truck. I refuse to change it because I pass with 2.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro

Again-what does this have to do with the sucessful implementation of def by the Europeans? If their vehciles are running cleaner and cleaning the air the same resuts will occur here!

You just made my point. Cali truck, non cali engine and emissions system. Yet it passes the sniffer. Not all testing needs to be like California to clean pollution. The diesels I have driven never smoked nor did they have a catalyst or DEF. It all lays on the owner and tuning. My truck is tuned and passes emissions. According to CA I should have 4 cats on my truck. I refuse to change it because I pass with 2.

Chris, How do you pass the visual inspection with two cats?

1. Smog shops are that strict. 2 I have factory cats, so they dont question those, 3 they dont look in a book to find out how many cats I need. This is the Smog Referee for the city who's paycheck comes from CARB who passed it.

Must add a disclaimer here, I still havent passed testing because of a CEL that popped. Visual and sniff it did pass, but the first time it failed because I popped a misfire, second time failed because the catalyst indicator showed not ready. But like I said he passed me visual and the computer says it passed the sniff on the dyno.

`i'm one of those people who have been dealing with smog devices on vehicles for over 40 years. and what i have learned was DEAL WITH IT..it's not going away, but will only get worse. you are going to see more states require anual emission testing on vehicles, maybe not as strict as CA testing, but more on what the federal standards were when they were manufactured. there has been a big improvements on emission controls over the past 15 years on cars, now the diesel crowd is seeing what the gassers have been putting up with since the late 60's..so just man up and deal with it...

My god this thread is still alive??? The whole emissions thing is one big massive money grab. It's all it is! Nothing more!! I mean it's ok for airplanes to burn dirty? It's ok for tanker ships? It's ok for precious metal producers to dump millions of tons of toxic chemicals and heavy metals in the air? Big oil can pollute as much as they desire? DPF and DEF systems were designed to put you at the pump more, pay more taxes thus making the rich even richer. Any modern truck will gain huge MPG with the removal of emissions stuff...mine did.

All I'm saying if diff governments wanted to have a real positive impact on the environment globally a little more needs to be done than just picking on the guy who drives the diesel truck. Trains/planes/ships/chemical plants/oil refineries/hydrogen plants/precious metal mining....the list goes on and on.

This of course is IF you believe in global warming, which of course I do not. It's proven now that the climate has been much hotter globally that it is now. Many times over and over. The planet is goin to do whatever it wants, nothing we can do to change it or stop it. Sea levels hve been much much higher than the present also. It's actually only a certain handful of scientists that contribute global warming to humans, money to be made from fear. The planet is going to do what it wants to do, Al gore can take his DVD and his hummer and .........

Until then, I'll be removing every emissions system I'll ever have on any future vehicles. And be darn happy I did it too, so will my engines.

:)

1. Smog shops are that strict. 2 I have factory cats, so they dont question those, 3 they dont look in a book to find out how many cats I need. This is the Smog Referee for the city who's paycheck comes from CARB who passed it.

Must add a disclaimer here, I still havent passed testing because of a CEL that popped. Visual and sniff it did pass, but the first time it failed because I popped a misfire, second time failed because the catalyst indicator showed not ready. But like I said he passed me visual and the computer says it passed the sniff on the dyno.

OK Chris.

No disrespect intentioned here. You passed visual because the guy isn't competent. Because if he was he would look in the book to see what you supposed to have. So theoretically, you would pass on the exhaust but fail on the visual resulting in no new current registration-if the guy was doing his job properly.

My god this thread is still alive??? The whole emissions thing is one big massive money grab. It's all it is! Nothing more!! I mean it's ok for airplanes to burn dirty? It's ok for tanker ships? It's ok for precious metal producers to dump millions of tons of toxic chemicals and heavy metals in the air? Big oil can pollute as much as they desire? DPF and DEF systems were designed to put you at the pump more, pay more taxes thus making the rich even richer. Any modern truck will gain huge MPG with the removal of emissions stuff...mine did. All I'm saying if diff governments wanted to have a real positive impact on the environment globally a little more needs to be done than just picking on the guy who drives the diesel truck. Trains/planes/ships/chemical plants/oil refineries/hydrogen plants/precious metal mining....the list goes on and on. This of course is IF you believe in global warming, which of course I do not. It's proven now that the climate has been much hotter globally that it is now. Many times over and over. The planet is goin to do whatever it wants, nothing we can do to change it or stop it. Sea levels hve been much much higher than the present also. It's actually only a certain handful of scientists that contribute global warming to humans, money to be made from fear. The planet is going to do what it wants to do, Al gore can take his DVD and his hummer and ......... Until then, I'll be removing every emissions system I'll ever have on any future vehicles. And be darn happy I did it too, so will my engines. :)

You guys have no idea what the air was like 50 years ago. No idea. BTW-your right about looking at other vehicles, ships and trains, etc.

The port of L.A now uses clean burning diesel trains, and electric trains, requires ships to use plug in electricity when in port, etc.

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/environment/caap.asp

As someone stated-we all need to do our share.

CKNSLS, on 19 Nov 2013 - 14:11, said:

OK Chris.

No disrespect intentioned here. You passed visual because the guy isn't competent. Because if he was he would look in the book to see what you supposed to have. So theoretically, you would pass on the exhaust but fail on the visual resulting in no new current registration-if the guy was doing his job properly.

None taken, I have made phone calls, the exhaust shops wont install the precats if my truck doesn't have them already. Their book shows 6.0's came with 2 and 4 cats. If my paperwork shows 6.0 which it does, and a cat went out, which it did, they will only replace the one. If a tester, the BAR, or CARB have a problem, the exhaust shop will solve it. There is a provision that states if the engine family number is not available, the part number(s) installed are done so at the discretion of the installer.

Basically I will pass with 2 because of provisions set forth by the BAR and CARB, as long as I have the receipt for the work accomplished. If they wanted me to install new head pipes with 4 cats, I will gladly do so. But it was never incompetence. This guy has failed me 4 times. two were mentioned, the other 2 were visuals. The first was for a missing sticker on a 50 state legal intake, the second was for a cat. the cat was correct for my truck pre 6.0 swap. the number cross-referenced a 4.8/5.3. I know my limits and what I am protected by if something is done wrong. The smaller shops here don't care, but I do. I want my swap to be certified by the state of California to be legal and recognized.

Do I have to? Vague question. I can pass it off as a 4.8 because on the outside the engines are identical. By law I must disclose the swap to the state and I did. I did it of my own reasons. Hate to say it, but I am not going through this because the law states that I must. I am doing it because I want to make my power and still pass testing. The very few parts that are 6.0 specific can't pass on a 4.8. It is costing me a lot more money to do it this way, but I want at least 400 RWHP and still pass on the rollers. It is a challenge to me, and Challenge Accepted.

My god this thread is still alive??? The whole emissions thing is one big massive money grab. It's all it is! Nothing more!! I mean it's ok for airplanes to burn dirty? It's ok for tanker ships? It's ok for precious metal producers to dump millions of tons of toxic chemicals and heavy metals in the air? Big oil can pollute as much as they desire? DPF and DEF systems were designed to put you at the pump more, pay more taxes thus making the rich even richer. Any modern truck will gain huge MPG with the removal of emissions stuff...mine did. All I'm saying if diff governments wanted to have a real positive impact on the environment globally a little more needs to be done than just picking on the guy who drives the diesel truck. Trains/planes/ships/chemical plants/oil refineries/hydrogen plants/precious metal mining....the list goes on and on. This of course is IF you believe in global warming, which of course I do not. It's proven now that the climate has been much hotter globally that it is now. Many times over and over. The planet is goin to do whatever it wants, nothing we can do to change it or stop it. Sea levels hve been much much higher than the present also. It's actually only a certain handful of scientists that contribute global warming to humans, money to be made from fear. The planet is going to do what it wants to do, Al gore can take his DVD and his hummer and ......... Until then, I'll be removing every emissions system I'll ever have on any future vehicles. And be darn happy I did it too, so will my engines. :)

You guys have no idea what the air was like 50 years ago. No idea. BTW-your right about looking at other vehicles, ships and trains, etc.

The port of L.A now uses clean burning diesel trains, and electric trains, requires ships to use plug in electricity when in port, etc.

http://www.portoflosangeles.org/environment/caap.asp

As someone stated-we all need to do our share.

Not the air no, but the climate yes. Which has been much warmer than it is now for 1000's of years and many times.

I choose not to drink the kool-aid buddy

Archived