Chevyboy, that is my point. The cost of the DEF will not make a bit of difference over the time that I will own my truck. I can save money by not removing the system from my truck. I will need to drive the 480,000 miles to spend the same amount of money in def as what it will cost for the delete kit. So why do it??? :jester:

Well see how much money you save when ur truck shits the bed with no warranty, ive been reading over on the DF those def systems like to go around 150k. and when they do its catastrophic. Those things are so hard on the engine, I think the fuel savings alone would offset the cost of DPF delete. Automatic 3mpg across the board, even more on the highway.

You know how much those new style injectors cost gm is using?? $$$$$$$$$

IJS if you want longevity, get rid of it. The only problems people are having with those trucks is the emissions crap.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the owners choice to do whatever he wants with his investment. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525439.310670.jpg

Not when it affects the air the rest of us breath. I grew up in Southern California as another poster did as well, and remember how bad the air was. All of these smog devices do indeed work to keep the air clean. I retired and moved to Salt Lake City, Utah which also has a major smog problem. If you come down here and have illegally deleted pollution control devices, I hope you get caught and have a citation issued.

It's the owners choice to do whatever he wants with his investment. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525439.310670.jpg

Not when it affects the air the rest of us breath. I grew up in Southern California as another poster did as well, and remember how bad the air was. All of these smog devices do indeed work to keep the air clean. I retired and moved to Salt Lake City, Utah which also has a major smog problem. If you come down here and have illegally deleted pollution control devices, I hope you get caught and have a citation issued.

Except that modern catalytic converters haven't cut performance or massive amounts of fuel efficiency like these garbage systems do.

Except that modern catalytic converters haven't cut performance or massive amounts of fuel efficiency like these garbage systems do.

I assume if pollution controls are mandated THEY WORK. All I know, is when growing up as a child in Southern California we would play outside and after 10 minutes everyone's eyes and throat hurt. And you couldn't see the mountains located just 10 MILES AWAY. Now-there are approximately 25 MILLION more people and the corresponding number of cars, and the air is actually cleaner, even while the region experienced phenomenal growth. Maybe you didn't have these issues in your neck of the woods. However, many areas of the country are grappling with air pollution (where I retired in Salt Lake City is one) and I guess all of us need to pay for it. That's just the way it is. Google the smog issues in China and look at those pictures, the smog IS REALLY bad, and you would want to hold your breath there!

It's the owners choice to do whatever he wants with his investment. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376525439.310670.jpg

It's absolutely just stupid for me to even try explain LOL. People just don't get it, these systems put you at the pump more!!

We can talk politics, but we all know what I'm thinking. Diesel particulate falls to the ground, the haze you see is primarily from gas vehicles!!!

I assume if pollution controls are mandated THEY WORK.

Yeah because the govt has never, ever made a bad call. :lol:

I know CA had a smog problem and I know china does now too. Cats helped clean up gas engines greatly and while at the time they may have hindered performance (not the case for some time now), I never recall reading that they ever caused massive losses in efficiency. The diesel systems do and they're hard on the engines. But the feds could care less if your $70,000 truck blows a motor. Anything and everything the EPA has done with cars is guided by special interests, not realistic measures. Same with Commiefornia having CARB and its own set of emissions standards. How many millions of dollars do automakers piss away to make specialized components for CA and the idiotic states who follow their regs? If they could put that money into general R&D I bet as a whole the industry would be producing cleaner and more efficient vehicles. The govt doesn't spur innovation, it kills it.

Yeah because the govt has never, ever made a bad call. :lol: I know CA had a smog problem and I know china does now too. Cats helped clean up gas engines greatly and while at the time they may have hindered performance (not the case for some time now), I never recall reading that they ever caused massive losses in efficiency. The diesel systems do and they're hard on the engines. But the feds could care less if your $70,000 truck blows a motor. Anything and everything the EPA has done with cars is guided by special interests, not realistic measures. Same with Commiefornia having CARB and its own set of emissions standards. How many millions of dollars do automakers piss away to make specialized components for CA and the idiotic states who follow their regs? If they could put that money into general R&D I bet as a whole the industry would be producing cleaner and more efficient vehicles. The govt doesn't spur innovation, it kills it.

NEVER EVER SAY THAT C-WORD AGAIN

• 2 months later...

3% LOLOLOLOL....dude my truck gained 4mpg ripping egr and DPF off. You can gain almost 40% RWHP with just a tune, nobody takes it off for power gain. It's not about gaining anything anyways, you need to realize how they work in the early ones. It makes the rear two cylinders dump extra fuel on the exhaust stroke so it dumps raw fuel into the DPF. Ignites it and makes the soot burn up more complete, people Rip them off because its super hard on the engine, turbo, injectors, cp3. The new urea is a better design, still plagued with problems tho. They make zero sense, they run cleaner but make you burn 4-5mpg more. Makes no sense. They will always sell straight pipes and tuners. nobody will stop. :-D

LMM's added fuel during the exhaust stroke, but LML's have a 9th injector in the exhaust, so no excess fuel during exhaust stroke and no fuel in the oil.

• 2 weeks later...

The pro tuning shops that specialize in adding horsepower to stock diesels figure that there is a 3% gain in power by doing a DPF delete. It is hardly worth the effort and money even ignoring that it is illegal and the engine is likely to generate 100x as much soot out the tailpipe that everyone around you get to breathe.

P.T. Barnum was right that there is a sucker born every minute and there are lots of companies happy to sell unneeded do-dads to people from chrome plated valve covers and aluminum housings to ignitiion wires in pretty colors. Emissions controls are a pain in the ass at times but so is paying taxes and so is paying the monopoly company an exhorbitant amount to pick up my trash at the curb in the containers when it would be easier to put the trash in the back of my pickup and drive down the road and let my trash blow out the back along with the extra pollutants from my tailpipe.

I grew up in the Los Angeles smog basin and can remember when driving down the freeway I could not see the buildings on the sides of the road the air pollution was so bad. It is still like that in Mexico City and in Beijing and other cities where there has not been an effort to minimize the pollution coming out of the tailpipes of vehicles. This air pollution kills people and in the USA alone there are more than $12 billion spent on hospital visits alone from people having asthma attacks as a result. So if the feds decide to start enforcing the laws in this area it makes a lot of sense.

It is not legal to have a fully automatic firearm or a silencer and so it is also not legal to sell parts for converting a firearm to one that is fully automatic or to sell a silencer. Somehow the people selling the DPF delete kits and tuners have stayed under the rader which is odd. In the 1970's the feds clamped down on people removing catalytic converters and installing a section of pipe so they could continue to use chearper leaded gas and so the muffler shops and everyone else stopped selling the sections of pipe to anyone for any purpose. Lots of otherwise intelligent people thought that the removal of the converters provided a dramatic boost in horsepower and gas mileage which was a complete fiction. Race cars without converters had a lot more done to them to get the horsepower they achieved and could use out on the track. In many cases reducing the back pressure in the stock engines reduced horsepower and led to burned valves.

I have a choice as to whether or not to have a diesel powered truck and it is a package deal with the engine, the DPF, and the associated maintenance that goes this setup. I have the option of getting a gas powered truck which will also have a catalytic converter and have its own emissions systems that will require some attention. My Duramax LML produced 765 ft lb of torque and deleting the DPF to get and extra 25 ft lbs makes no sense at all.

If you need to customize your diesel truck then invest in chrome and a lift kit and bigger tires (and hopefully mud flaps) and nerf bars and tinted windows or a custom paint job but leave the emissions systems alone.

Growing up in Cali has distorted your reality.

You can own automatic weapons, you can own suppressors and most states don't inspect vehicles. You probably don't want the government in your bedroom, they can stay out of your pickup.

I have yet to see an unmodified modern truck pre DPF blow soot. You have to put in a crappy tune to get them to smoke much. And any soot released settles. If you want to complain about soot, go complain to the shipping companies, those boats burn some heavy oil.

I have yet to see an unmodified modern truck pre DPF blow soot. You have to put in a crappy tune to get them to smoke much. And any soot released settles. If you want to complain about soot, go complain to the shipping companies, those boats burn some heavy oil.

I am in one of the states that is "pickup country" and there are alot of diesel pickups blowing black soot out their tail pipe here for whatever reason. For this, I am happy that the U.S. has seen the light like Europe has for years and mandated DEF.

I'm happy for yearly inspections that can catch guys modifying their trucks that pollute more.

Archived