"Whale Tail" Replacement options?

I bought a used Century Cap to put on the back of my 2004 Silverado 1500. The cap fits great, but due to the "Whale Tail" style tailgate "cap", the door does not close. Has anyone found anything that is similar to this whale tail that bolts in its place? I like the ruggedness of this and really don't want to lose it if I don't have to. I've been told the only real replacements are the ones with the 3M tape that 'stick on'. If that is my only option, then I guess I will have to go with it. But I will take any suggestions. Stealer wants $138 for the GM one.

All these views and no posts? I'm just looking for other options, mainly ones that will cover the existing holes that will remain once I pull off the 'whale tail'. Wondering if this is long enough to do the job?

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?singlepart=1&AddPartNumber=12495717&partnumber=12495717

You should be able to use one off an HD truck. There is a lot of metal cut out from under it on newer trucks, not sure on older ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will be fine with an 03-06 Sierra tailgate cap

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

I took one of the older style tailgate caps (with the 3m tape and no bolts) and drilled holes for the bolts to still be used. I like it, and it stays in place better than with just the tape.

Archived