LS7 TB Install

Received my new throttle body in the mail today. Took about 15 minutes to install. As promised here is a quick write up of what i did. I have a Airaid MIT so i may have more clearance then the stock tube. I did get a P0122 TPS sensor circuit voltage low, but that's because i turned the power on and i was playing with the throttle after i disconnected the sensor to get some better shots. I cleared it with my code reader, truck runs great. I got mine from amazon http://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-217-3153-Service-Injection-Throttle/dp/B001NZZ9K2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364140277&sr=8-1&keywords=gm+12605109

1. Disconnect battery negative ( this is not necessary, i didn't do this step but some like to be safe )

2. Disconnect intake tube at TB and air box. Disconnect TPS sensor on side of throttle body.

3. Remove 2 bolts and 2 nuts holding TB to intake manifold. Remove TB

SDC11008_zps5292229f.jpg

4. Wipe out any oil or dirt from TB opening on manifold. Don't lose the TB gasket o-ring.

SDC11009_zpsbba8c258.jpg

5. Install new throttle body on studs and replace 2 bolts and nuts you removed earlier. TORQUE TO 89 IN/LBS!!!!!!!!

6. Plug in TPS sensor wiring.

SDC11010_zps9e33ea54.jpg

7. Reconnect intake tube and tighten all bolts.

SDC11011_zpsa6a9b8e5.jpg

Benefits are supposedly quicker response from throttle and less lag. Haven't had it on long enough to notice any difference. The throttle body is 90mm instead of the stock 87 that comes with the truck, so if nothing else your port matching the intake manifold and TB. I had some extra money and i like experimenting with my truck so i figured i'd be the guinea pig. I'll be updating with any results, i may update my tune as well for this because i have to get it redone for larger tires anyway.

Some.other members have done this mod also; the closest I can come to this is getting an adapter plate and the fast lsx 93mm tb, but that would.seem.like a waste without the fast lsx intake manifold which is very expensive.

The ECM is going to be controlling the opening of the throttle (throttle lag feel, i.e. torque management doing its job) therefore I see no reason why going to a larger throttle body will do anything for that. Flow slightly more air? Yes. Change how tm works? No.

Will need a tune for Max benefits.

Mass air fuel mapping would pick up the difference for the most part so as jb says, nothing to tune. Sorry to say but people believing that this tb was some sort of big fix all for tm and hp gains have been duped, IMO.

Not to confuse anyone about this mod, i didn't do it for any HP gains. It was done mainly for experimentation. I had some extra cash and wanted to see the results. I am happy with this mod as it did solve a slight cold surge problem i was having but that was probably more of a isolated case. There are better places to spend 140$, i just wanted to post this for info in case anyone was wondering about this mod. I would not recommend this mod unless you can find a good deal on an ls7 throttle body or you have some extra cash you wanna burn.

Archived