Transmission fluid change

Im going to change fluid and filter in my 4.3. I just bought it and it was a work truck in its previous life. Im going for a Black Bear tune on Sunday so I want to make sure the trans is clean. I bought Amsoil Low Viscosity Fuel Efficiency ATV. My question is, if I take the trans hose off and run the motor while slowly flushing oil, how much will I need to replace, overall? I know Pan and Filter is 5Qts. But I will be pumping more out.

Yes, it will take all 12 qts.

wow, my dealer is out of Low Viscosity Fuel Efficiency ATV, can I mix in 2 qts of Amsoil multi vehicle with the 2 1/2 gallons of Low Viscosity Fuel Efficiency ATV? Shouldnt be a problem right?

I see your running the same in your 02, did the Amsoil have much of an effect?

Don't run the truck with tranny line disconnected. You will trash the pump. Maybe not right away, but it will not do it any good.

How much will the line drain out without the engine running?

Question:

What is the difference between AMSOIL Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) and Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL)?

Answer:

The main difference is the viscosity. Some manufacturers require the use of a lower viscosity fluid such as AMSOIL ATL for fuel economy purposes. Matching the specification in vehicle owners’ manuals to the correct AMSOIL product is required for optimal performance.

ATF - 7.5 cSt @100°C

ATL - 5.9 cSt @100°C

Will it hurt anything? No, you will end up with a viscosity around 6.1 depending on how many you use.

Tip

Its probably going to take more than 12 qts to change it all out. Its not a precise job to change all the ATF and you usually push more thru to accomplish the task. Took 15 qts to do mine. Can it be done use? Yes

wow, my dealer is out of Low Viscosity Fuel Efficiency ATV, can I mix in 2 qts of Amsoil multi vehicle with the 2 1/2 gallons of Low Viscosity Fuel Efficiency ATV? Shouldnt be a problem right?

I see your running the same in your 02, did the Amsoil have much of an effect?

Elcamino covered it well. It will not hurt anything, just best to stick with the LV ATF. It has served me well in my 02. I noticed a small decrease in transmission temp when I switched over.

Thanks for the advise and info. So what I did is drop the pan and change the filter. I will do it again in 2 weeks. I should have cleaned out most contaminates and have a good amount of ATL - 5.9 cSt @100°C, after the two drains. Thanks again!!!

• 2 months later...

Thanks for posting that spreadsheet, the math on that one is rather interesting. Unless your ATF was particularly dirty and/or smelt burnt to start with, I don't think you need to be too concerned about trying to change all of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived