Very noticeable ticking sound coming from my engine

As my description states. I have a '13 6.2 L9H. I took it for its first oil change a while ago. Put in Mobile 1 full synthetic. Dextros approved or whatever. Not sure if it's coincidence or what, but MAN my lifters, or something, are making a TON of noise. I don't have time to take it in right now, as I'm back working and on the road.

Anyone else have this problem? Seems to be most noticeable around 2000 RPM. It almost sounds like my motor is about to blow up. Oil level is good.

Did you use the AC Delco filter? If it is aftermarket, some trucks don't like them, depending on the brand. Does oil pressure show to be good? Maybe a defective filter?

I do know that some folks claim the Mobil 1 (per bobistheoilguy.com) makes their valvetrain louder, but from the way you describe it I don't think this is a minor increase in noise.

The oil filter should have the anti-drain valve to keep the oil from draining from the heads after the engine is shut off. If it does not, the hydraulic valve lifters may be starved of oil for several minutes after starting the engine and they will be noisy.

Also, it may not be a good idea to use synthetic oil in a brand new engine.

I used full synthetic Mobil 1 5w30 Dexros and a delco filter. I dont have time to take it in, but its not just when cold. I noticed it when I had my windows up, and music off. Even on the highway I hear it a certain RPM. Just one thing after another with this thing, its sad. Oil pressure appears to be fine, when looking at the gauge. Gonna try to get it in at the end of the month if I can. I'm away from home working right now. I may call the dealer, and just let them know.

The oil filter should have the anti-drain valve to keep the oil from draining from the heads after the engine is shut off. If it does not, the hydraulic valve lifters may be starved of oil for several minutes after starting the engine and they will be noisy.

Also, it may not be a good idea to use synthetic oil in a brand new engine.

Why is it you cant put full synthetic in a brand new engine?

Right on Mobils website, they address that exact thing you mention. they say it's fine to run full synthetic in new vehicles. These motors come from the factory already broken in. The dealer told me that when he sold me the truck

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Synthetics/Synthetic_Oils_FAQs.aspx

The old "you can't use synthetic in a new vehicle idea" and a lot of other oil gospel just isn't so any more. Vmaxtastic, you're absolutely right. No problem using synthetic in a new vehicle. As a matter of fact with the new dexos spec they have to have at least semi-syn from the factory. My new truck got Quaker State Ultimate Durability full synthetic at 1800 miles. I'll be changing this out for Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic at 5K. Wifey's vehicle has seen nothing but synthetic since new with no issues.

It's not 1970-something anymore and many of the old ideas about oil...well you know.

Might as well hit this one too. Quaker State and Pennzoil don't cause sludge because they are Pennsylvania crude. As said, a lot has changed.

I really don't think Mobil 1 is to blame. It may be you just got a defective filter. I know you're on the road, but if you had the opportunity to change the filter out and top off the oil, it might be an easy fix. I think you're good letting the dealer know about it in the meantime. Good luck; hope you get this sorted out soon.

It is better to use mineral oil during the initial engine break in period to ensure proper seating of rings. They recommend this for most new motorcycles. Why should cars and trucks be any different? I know some come form the factory filled with synthetic oil, but these are mostly high performance engines using more advanced materials for engine construction, including piston rings. I do not believe that the 5.3 or 6.2 V8 GM engines used in pickups fall into this category.

Well the stuff from the factory was indeed a semi synthetic. The dude at the Mr. Lube, I have been going to for a couple years, told me all about it. How he's had arguments with owners over what oil to put in etc. Ill have time tomorrow. Gonna go into the dealer, in the town I'm near, and talk to them about it. Maybe grab a new filter to throw on there.

Btw, it's DEXOS not Dextros or Dexros. :)

And you need to get it looked at. There are a couple of problems you could be having. Let a dealer look into it

Btw, it's DEXOS not Dextros or Dexros. :)

And you need to get it looked at. There are a couple of problems you could be having. Let a dealer look into it

I had a feeling I had it wrong, but was too lazy to look it up haha. I'll report back when I find out whats going on. Need to get my frame re-coated as well. There is a common problem with the coating I guess, and they ordered the paint already.

Engine noise does not always mean that there could be something broken or going bad. These newer motors have such tight tolerances and with the combination of lighter grade metals and what not that valvetain noise is common / normal operation. Remember that there are a lot of sensors and switches that the computer relies on to make sure everything is okay, no check engine light right?

No engine light.. But trust me. It's not normal. Even at highway speed, I can hear it over the wind. Most noticeable between 2000-2500 RPM, and the engine also lacks power and runs rough when accelerating hard. It's getting worse. I'm taking it in Monday, to the dealer I bought it from. Will report back with findings.

Archived