6.0 MPG

I know everybody probably has asked this but, what tune/ tuner do you guys most recommend for fuel economy improvements, and do cold air intakes help combined with a tuner?

I recommend getting a compact car with a very small engine and possibly turbo diesel. Truck's are not known for incredible gas mileage and I am sure I didn't buy mine nor did anyone else buy their's for gas mileage either. I am not trying to attack you or offend you in any way, it's just that a truck is very heavy with minimal aerodynamics used for hauling heavy loads and what-not. Though they are advancing, you still aren't seeing big V-8 trucks or diesels hitting 30mpg, yet. So if you want to try to squeeze every ounce of MPG's then I can recommend getting an economy tune, a bed cover of some type, not a topper, smaller wheels, lower gearing i.e. 3.08's, and a light foot with speed limits advised. That might net you some good MPG's but like I said, it's a truck.

Oh, forgot, get a Black Bear Tune, the top tuner IMO for mail order tuning and possibly custom in tune's form Justin and Jenna. They can tune to whatever parameters you are looking for i.e performance tunes to MPG tunes and cleaning everything up also.

My first 6.0 got 13.4 mpg average and 7.1 towing....

I added an aftermarket air intake, flowmaster exhaust, blackbear tune, and switched to allmsynthetic fluids.

The end result after spending hundreds on dollars on mods was an increase in mpg....got an average of 13.9 average and 7.3 towing. The absolute only advantage was a great sounding truck, but my wife hated it when towing...ugh

My current 2011 6,0 gets 13.7 average and the same crummy 7.3 towing. I have done no modes and wont do any, since they are a waste of money on all counts.

All that said, the truck pulls my 8200 pound rv with no trouble, and I just smile from gas station to gas station...

It kills me and I find it funny that people will go and spend all this money on tunes and aftermarket parts to try and save fuel. Maybe a tune will get you 1 mpg better but people fail to see your mpg will vary that much if not more but they say the tune did it (yeah ok) and don't see the money they spend in trying to get better mpg can buy you a lot of fuel on the money they blow in trying to do it.

Buying a tune to get better mpg is a joke and don't people think if a tune got you better mpg that the big 3 vehicle company's wouldn't be all over this with the pressure to get better mpg out of any vehicle?

Money spent on tunes etc would take you years and years and thousands and thousands of miles to get a return on your money that is spent if they got you better mpg's which they don't.

As previously stated, it is a big heavy truck meant for heavy loads. I average 12 not towing and 7 towing. Not going to get any better or worse.

Steve

Besides the extra weight of the 3/4 ton, is there any difference between the 6.0 in the 1/2 ton as opposed to the 3/4 ton? My mileage in my 09 1/2 ton is about 17.5 mpg.

Besides the extra weight of the 3/4 ton, is there any difference between the 6.0 in the 1/2 ton as opposed to the 3/4 ton? My mileage in my 09 1/2 ton is about 17.5 mpg.

Yes. The 1/2 ton has AFM and uses thr L92 style head and variable valve timing. It was the engine frim the pontiac G8 GT

Sent from my Samsung GS4 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

There are tons of info on all of this through out this sight and many others.. My conclusion and findings are that a cold air intake along with 87 octane fuel will increase your mpg's by a 2-3. doesn't sound like much but in my case was a 20% increase. Around town I would run 89oct but have since committed to the 87. A tuner will not necessarily give you better mileage but will give you a better performance from your truck with more useful power and acceleration that may in fact give worse mileage because your having fun with a better running machine. :D

There are tons of info on all of this through out this sight and many others.. My conclusion and findings are that a cold air intake along with 87 octane fuel will increase your mpg's by a 2-3. doesn't sound like much but in my case was a 20% increase. Around town I would run 89oct but have since committed to the 87. A tuner will not necessarily give you better mileage but will give you a better performance from your truck with more useful power and acceleration that may in fact give worse mileage because your having fun with a better running machine. :D

There is no way a CAI increased your mpg by 2-3 more mpg. Your truck already has a CAI from the factory and all the after market ones do is give you more noise under throttle and look pretty, that's it.

do you have a throttle body spacer? i hear those are2-3 mpg increase too! and 25hp!!!!

:troll:

I agree....no way in the world!!!! Maybe a flowmaster sticker on the rear window would increase mpg 2-3 also!

I went from 10% ethanol 89 octane to 87 octane no ethanol blend and added a CAI. Went from 10mpg (on a good day) to 13.

Same job, same driving routine, onlything different is the mentallity of someone hearing something they dont like.

Archived