2500 HD Dmax?s

gotcha

I did not know the newer DMaxs only got around 15-18. What are they getting loaded/towing?

Mine will get 10-11ish towing 12-15K (cattle trailer with cows). The first generation LB7's (pre-emmisions) got better mileage and could be "tuned" for highway mileage north of 20 mpg. However, they are quite a bit lower hp/tq than the newer LMM's/LML's. You have to be careful not to get caught up in all the "I"m buying a diesel because they get 20 mpg" hype. Just look on every forum and see tons of threads titled "new duramax - poor mileage, etc". These are 7000# pickups. They have restrictive emmisions equipment. People don't drive 55 mph anymore. As I said earlier you could get 20 mpg if you drove <60 mph all highway with no wind, but how real world is that? Most of us never use a HD pickup that way. It's usually used to do work, tow things, or haul stuff.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not know the newer DMaxs only got around 15-18. What are they getting loaded/towing?

Mine will get 10-11ish towing 12-15K (cattle trailer with cows). The first generation LB7's (pre-emmisions) got better mileage and could be "tuned" for highway mileage north of 20 mpg. However, they are quite a bit lower hp/tq than the newer LMM's/LML's. You have to be careful not to get caught up in all the "I"m buying a diesel because they get 20 mpg" hype. Just look on every forum and see tons of threads titled "new duramax - poor mileage, etc". These are 7000# pickups. They have restrictive emmisions equipment. People don't drive 55 mph anymore. As I said earlier you could get 20 mpg if you drove <60 mph all highway with no wind, but how real world is that? Most of us never use a HD pickup that way. It's usually used to do work, tow things, or haul stuff.

Pretty sure the numbers are better than that. Mine gets 18 easily sittin on 35's with the DPF removed, I have friends that have the new LML with emissions deleted and can get 20+ on stock tuning.

Once the warranty is gone rip that cheap off, or if ur like me rip it off anyways cuz it's really the only thing causing issues anyways...

And actually ATP trucks just released some info today on the LML tuning. If you join the page you can see all the info, they achieved 19.5 mpg on a 450rwhp tune WITH the DPF intact...

Join the Facebook page and read up. Some people are very misinformed about the new Duramax. It gets incredible mileage for a 7000lbs truck.

All this talk has me dreaming of a Dmax now... If I wouldn't have spent money on new gears I could have a very nice down payment on one. Oh well, Im sure I'll get one eventually... :nopity: haha

I know of a 1000hp capable LMM in the states for $45k. Low mileage too lol

It's funny because I still believe that the DMax gets better mpg under load and towing, but I got over 15 mpg with a load of about 2000lbs+. I was driving between 68-72mph, but had nothing being towed. Overall I was surprised at the low mpg on the new DMax because that's all you hear about. I still believe they are great trucks, but don't feel so bad about my little 6.0 gasser.

Great!!! Now I just need 45k haha

You and me both buddy, I have plans for mine

Blackout performance is gonna do an engine for me I think :)

Was gonna do it myself, but this isn't no 5k SBC, costs alot of money so I'm gonna have a real good guy build it for me!! Can't wait :-D

It's funny because I still believe that the DMax gets better mpg under load and towing, but I got over 15 mpg with a load of about 2000lbs+. I was driving between 68-72mph, but had nothing being towed. Overall I was surprised at the low mpg on the new DMax because that's all you hear about. I still believe they are great trucks, but don't feel so bad about my little 6.0 gasser.

Dude, you can get one simple tune for the LML net you over 900ft-lbs of torque, tranny safe and get just under 20mph with the DEF in place still...

For me if I want fast its going to be a car. 6000+Lbs truck, yes they can be mad to go fast, but again not my thing. My whole statement was about how one of the two reasons to get a DMax is the better fuel mileage, but after reading this post, the mileage is not that much better. Do I believe a DMax is a better truck? Yes I do, but in my case buying my truck brand new for $20k out the door and it being a gasser fit my needs. You have to admit all the haters saying that the DMax gets so much better mpg, well it looks like not so much when the trucks are unloaded or lightly loaded. That's all.

And just of note my first car was a 1995 camaro z28 that I put a ATI Procharger on, now that was fast!:)

Archived