Muffler Delete

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did the muffler delete and removed the flapper two weeks ago. The muffler shop just welded in a pipe, left the resonator on and factory tip. The truck sounds really good IMO there are no drawbacks to the delete over cat back if you want to hear your V8. $57 bucks after tax...

Interestingly, I did notice a "chirp" after a short time. Searched forum and saw a notation on flapper "chirp" when switching to V8 from V4.

I clamped it wide open. No more chirp. Hard to say if it would have done it without muffler delete. I notice a bit more "drone" in V4 with flapper open, but still love the sound!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

so why are so many people having troubles with the flapper making weird noises if they dont touch it when they delete the muffler?

im thinking about doing this because i cant justify spending 400+ dollars on a catback system, but would like a little noise for the time being.

also i have a 6.5" lift on 35s so it hardly ever goes into v4 mode..

I had mine done at B&B Muffler of Crosby and 35. I might need to go back because my exhaust is rattling when i rev it it up and then let off the gas. not sure where its coming from. could it be the flapper valve rattling ?

Update : clamped the valve open rattle stopped.

If you clamp it open' does it need to have an afm? Or be tuned or will it work just fine?

So is clamping it open equal to using afm? I read elsewhere that sometimes the flapper makes a rattling noise so peoplease clamp it open

The valve just adjusts for exhaust flow to help with the helicopter sound. it doesn't change anything with the engine or tuning

The valve just adjusts for exhaust flow to help with the helicopter sound. it doesn't change anything with the engine or tuning

But if I buy the afm plug in that makes it run v8 mode all the time, is that more less doing the same thing as clamping ithe wide open? Like if I clamp it open is it going to eliminate the chop?

But if I buy the afm plug in that makes it run v8 mode all the time, is that more less doing the same thing as clamping ithe wide open? Like if I clamp it open is it going to eliminate the chop?

No. Doing the AFM delete completely disables V4 mode. Clamping the flapper open allows you to hear the exhaust when it goes into V4 mode. If AFM is deleted by programming, the flapper valve is no longer needed, therefore it can be clamped open without hearing V4 chop.

so why are so many people having troubles with the flapper making weird noises if they dont touch it when they delete the muffler?

im thinking about doing this because i cant justify spending 400+ dollars on a catback system, but would like a little noise for the time being.

also i have a 6.5" lift on 35s so it hardly ever goes into v4 mode..

For me it was the flapper sticking halfway open. I got under the truck, and simply twisting it with my hand fixed it. My flapper is not clamped open, and I have no whooshing sound.The rattle you hear about is on very cold mornings at start up, and it's not very loud. Once I drive, or it warms up for 5 minutes the rattle goes away. I've only heard the rattle twice since I've done the delete a month ago. But that's just me experience.

Archived