Muffler Delete

You can barely hear it while cruising at any speed. Has a lil sound while accelerating but nothing overwhelming at all. I see what everyone says now expecting it to be louder. Debating on a Corsa muffler when they're available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see that you did the muffler delete in early January. Have you noticed any annoying sounds like the helicopter effect that was posted earlier in this thread from those who done this mod?

You can barely hear it while cruising at any speed. Has a lil sound while accelerating but nothing overwhelming at all. I see what everyone says now expecting it to be louder. Debating on a Corsa muffler when they're available.

Yeah there is a lil drone when on the highway and it goes into v4 mode but it's not over whelming. I now have a Corsa cat back installed with zero* drone (helicopter sound) when in v4 mode.

Yeah there is a lil drone when on the highway and it goes into v4 mode but it's not over whelming. I now have a Corsa cat back installed with zero* drone (helicopter sound) when in v4 mode. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had an 05 Avalanche with 5.3 and added the Flowmaster Super 50, single in dual out and loved the sound. On my 2013 Silverado 5.3 I did the same except single in single out and it was of course a bit quieter. Both the 05 and 13 had NO drone in the cab so I am thinking of going that route since I CAN"T STAND the cab drone noise.

I was hoping the muffler delete would get me by without cab drone.

You'll have some with a 50 series. Reason I say that is my buddy has a 14 sierra with a 50 installed and it sounds like a sub woofer on the highway in v4 mode lol. Guess everyone's experience is different tho.. I can't stand the drone either it's annoying regardless if it's minimal. You'll have that with chambered mufflers. Corsa is a straight thru design and specifically engineered for no drone in the cab. Good luck with the muffler delete but you will have a lil bit of cab drone.

Thanks for the reply, I just saw your 0-60 video. I think i'm gonna try this on my CC. Did it cause any rattles at all? When I put a flowmaster or my 2006 it would cause a rattle at certain lower rpms.

Well I just did this delete and after about 300 miles I developed a rattle in the adaptive valve located behind the stock muffler. Really annoying. Only does it at cruising speeds when you ease on the gas a little. Guess I'll go ahead with a Magnaflow dual outlet and regular chrome tips out the rear. Flowmaster is just too loud for my taste. And lucky for me I can get a nice discount from work... About $200 total. Damn my luck, muffler delete was done for free

I did it and I like it. Quiet at cruise, the little hint of v4 don't bother me. I used to dual out 4 bangers so I guess im weird. Seems to me any muffler you add will make it quieter. I left on the flapper and the resonator. Its cheap you can always add that expensive stuff if you don't like it.

Looks like the muffler delete isn't such a good thing? No one is really liking it after having it for awhile.

GM spent millions in R&D coming up with way to keep this truck quiet. The smallest things you would never think of. Let's just cut the muffler off the truck now and make it sound like NASCAR... lol. Not knocking anyone that does this... but it just seems like something most people wouldn't do to a 50K truck. Maybe your first car in high school. I guess I'm just getting older now and can't relate.

I have a '99 Trans Am (LS1) making near 500 at the rear wheels. Long tube headers and....well yeah that's pretty much it!! LOL If I want to scare the neighbors, I fire it up.

As for my new AT...that muffler's gotta go! Not gonna dump it before that cats though, I'd rather preserve some of my hearing. There's certainly an audience for the "I can't even hear it running!" crowd, but I'd rather know I'm driving a truck with a V8 under the hood.

Any exhaust guru's feel like helping me out here? I have removed the stock muffler and adaptive valve and replaced it with a borla xr-1. I have been debating removing either the 3rd cat or the resonator at the back. Im trying to understand what the outcome will be from removing the cat or the resonator. How will the drone, sound level/quality change by removing one or the other.

thanks guys

Both will help with resonation. It's a crap shoot either way. I would tend to lean towards removing the cat first just due to the other residual gains that could be had.

Here's how I approach it, exactly opposite of everyone else. I leave stock muffler and start removing unnecessary cats/resonators. You would be surprised how good a stock GM truck muffler sounds when the exhaust is freed up. My 2004 Escalade had no cats and stock muffler for 160k miles. Sounded just as good when I removed it all at 2000 miles as it did the day I traded it in just a few weeks ago. Making 351 hP 372 TQ at all wheels with bolt ons and an LS6 cam.

Can't mess with cats where I live, I have a 92 Chevy with a blown 383, still has cats, headers mufflers and small glass packs for the street. Keep Johnny law off my back.

Can't mess with cats where I live, I have a 92 Chevy with a blown 383, still has cats, headers mufflers and small glass packs for the street. Keep Johnny law off my back. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, and I shouldn't even be mentioning that I can get away with it because it won't be long before that comes to an end here also. I'm old school, I hear the word CAT and I either want to cut it out of my exhaust or feed it to my 118lb German Shepherd. I would almost bet that after 30 years these things flow pretty decent, but I have never bothered to look into it, mainly because its so easy to take it to my buddy's exhaust shop down the road and say, "Give me the usual". I think I should break tradition with this truck and build it Tree-Hugger friendly (minus the Cali-Cat) which shouldn't be a problem for a "good" tuner but for me, that means I will have to step my game up.

Archived